adding a second floor
shelby1175
anyone experienced with brick and block construction. I am planning on adding a second storey to my bungalow in Oakville
Ironwood Builders
Oakville, CA or elsewhere? Makes a difference! Can help with either CA or other states...just don't want to do some stupidly long answer for the wrong location.
March 31, 2013 at 2:37PM   
shelby1175
Oakville Canada.
March 31, 2013 at 2:38PM   
Ironwood Builders
Right, now answers can be qualified...but in your climate I'd recommend foam concrete forms as opposed to block or brick. What type of siding do you have? The foam forms will accept brick, stone, stucco, wood and fiber cement siding (not shingles). Follow this link to get some insight as to my reasons.
http://reddiform.com/
March 31, 2013 at 3:41PM   
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
shelby, your first consideration when contemplating brick/block/conc. form construction will be if your existing structure can/will support such an expansion. Consult a local structural engineer for your best plan of action.
March 31, 2013 at 5:08PM   
Ironwood Builders
Yikes! Twisted to the rescue! I was blithely going along thinking about a two story addition....not adding a second floor!
March 31, 2013 at 5:44PM   
shelby1175
see wall construction
April 1, 2013 at 5:11AM   
Ironwood Builders
Sorry! Your photo is sideways and won't enlarge on my iPad. I agree with Twisted that at minimum, you need a consultation with a structural engineer. Adding a second floor to an existing structure needs to have the entire structure checked from footing to top of wall. Typically, single story houses were/are built with smaller foundations, lighter walls and were not built to prepare for a second story floor load. Verifying that it is possible from a photo viewed on a computer is just not going to happen.
April 1, 2013 at 6:24AM     
I don't know how to remove these
I moved in somewhere after an elderly woman and these...
Bathroom renovation for practicality and growing family
We just stripped our second bathroom and are figuring...
c v
open kitchen/living room layout
I am planning to replace the current u-shaped kitchen...
Need help for home exterior...please!
My husband and I have bought a fixer up. We love the...
Backsplash drama
I just changed the counter top but not crazy about...