Paint color help (master bedroom with outdated green carpet)
pbshouse
April 1, 2013
I am trying to freshen up my master bedroom. My big stumbling block is the green carpet. I am not ready to replace it. This will happen in a few years when we have saved enough to update all bedrooms and long hallway with hardwood. I bought a pretty ivory cream quilt and ivory cream curtains. What color should I paint the walls to go with green carpet (think 90's hunter green with slightly blue undertone) and ivory bedding and window coverings? My furniture is a medium wood tone with yellow/orange undertones. Thanks for suggestions.
erasistible
How about creamy walls and a bedspread with different shades of green in it or a floral? I had the same problem and I used a floral spread.
    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:51AM
I think that the palest of greens such as Sherwin-Williams 6189 Opaline would work well, or a pale gold, S SW6378 Crisp Linen.
    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:55AM
A. Peltier Interiors
I think if your going to work with green now is the perfect time. Pantone named emerald green the color of the year. You can find a ton of inspirational rooms with this green in it. However, if you just stick with cream and green your room will fall flat. You will have to add texture and pattern to pull it off. I do like the cream quilt, it will neutralize everything but you will need to add a pattern on a throw pillow and maybe even drapes and an additional throw on the bed. Then once you have the ENTIRE room picked out, you can begin to look at paint. Already pick out your paint color last, you can create any color you want out of paint and there is no reason to pick it first and then have to work around it.
Check out this blog post on using emerald green in your home: http://www.peltierinteriors.com/going-green-using-this-bold-color-in-your-interiors/
and this pinterest board for even more ideas: http://pinterest.com/houseofpeltier/emerald-green-pantones-2013-color-of-the-year/
    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:06AM
You need a pattern to fold into thirds at the bottom of your bed and to add in a pair of shams to bring in life and tell a color story and then your wall color can be the predominant tone - like a pretty muted blue or teal. If you find something beautiful, with ivory and green and many colors, you can do a lot of different things.

Look at this http://www.potterybarn.com/products/joycelyn-floral-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams put this on a summer down comforter and fold it at the bottom of the bed in thirds when you make your bed up. It will layer right in with shams with your ivory. See how many different shades of green are in this print?
This print might not move you, but it would be worth it to buy it, bring it home and look at it in the room and take it back just so you can see what I'm trying to show you. Then, find a print you love with blue and green and ivory. The more shades of green in the print, the better - why?

Now you have told the eye that the dark green "belongs," but you can paint the walls a lovely blue from this print - men love blue walls so he won't mind the print comforter and then use the gorgeous coral tone for accents in your room. Test in your light - best pick - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6226-languid-blue/ I did think this print was easier to introduce to a fella than a floral because it is a nature / garden scene.

Now your room has green but it isn't "greeny" at all - it is just the carpet that coordinates. p.s. I would not go "gold" or any color in green because it will just highlight the green-ness of it.
    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:46AM
Pottery Barn has a new bedding group called Rosalie Paisley that has a nice mix of turquoise with some green.
With your cream colored quilt, I'd add in 3 euro shams plus the duvet cover. I'd place the duvet, folded, at the foot of the bed, giving you a nice paisley "sandwich" with cream quilt in the center.

It may not go with your carpeting, but I'm hoping it does and if so, it's a great look. http://www.potterybarn.com/search/results.html?words=rosalie%20paisley%20duvet%20cover%20%26%20sham%20-%20blue
    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:04AM
I agree with libradesigneye; I was thinking of peacock colours (wherein the teal and iridescent colours could work with your hunter green) throw in shocks of ivory for sophistication.
    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:05AM
Barnhart Gallery
With a color that impactful, I'd continue your cream color throughout, and accessorize using the color of your furniture with only touches of the green in art and textiles. I like Micheal Sowa's "Fowl with Pearls" to make playful sense of your colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:11AM
help with master bedroom.....paint furniture, new?
we remodeled and I love this paint throughout the house...
Alicia
outdated green marble tile in bathroom
The tile in my master bath is dated green marble. Does...
Juli
lisrene7
Need help with paint color in master bedroom
Navy wall to wall carpet- what color paint do you suggest....
bwsserman
Hunter Green Carpet has to stay...
Prior to us meeting, my husband decorated the master...
katiemac3
Need color advice
We are installing darker wood floors and need advice...
stacybaier
Kitchen Redo
Granite countertops and backsplash are ordered, and...
Sparklymom L
Empty space
What do I put next to the couch in this informal sitting...
valcaro
beadboard or tile
How high should bead board or tile be off the ground...
dvine1
need help with lighting for living room
I am lighting challenged. I bought the sonneman puri...
kapj17