Where to locate the entry closet?
psjj
We are planning on opening up extra space from our entry way into our kitchen and tearing down the wall between the kitchen and the dining room. This will allow us to move our dining room table more towards the kitchen and center it on the seam of the picture windows in the dining room. However, to open up the space, we need to relocate the entry closet otherwise it will be too close to the dining table. I really dislike the idea of putting it further down the entry hall, where the door chimes are now and having it jut into the kitchen. The architect has it flanked on either side by the refrigerator and a hutch. Any ideas where to locate it, or should we just scrap having an entry closet at all.
astraea
Hard to tell without a detailed layout of the current & proposed configurations of the foyer, dining room & kitchen. A lot depends on where you're located, and how much you really use your entry closet. I live in the northeast, and really use the closet, but some people in warmer/dryer climates say they don't need need a closet near the front door for things like boots, winter coats, umbrellas, hats, etc.
April 2, 2013 at 4:49am   
soberg
Please attach floor plan.
April 2, 2013 at 6:28am   
nFORMAL design
Agreed...a floor plan would be helpful. Also, as astraea mentioned above, in warmer climates you might not need a coat closet. What about a bench that serves as storage and an integrated or separate coat rack above. The image below shows what I'm talking about. Of course, style and color are your determination.
April 2, 2013 at 6:36am     
psjj
nFORMAL design, that's a great picture and doesn't look too casual. We live in the wet, rainy northwest so we wear coats most of the year. I am having a bit of a problem getting the plan uploaded but will continue to try. The entrance from the garage is at the end of that long hallway so it makes sense to have some coat storage there as it is where we enter and leave the house the most. We are resigning ourselves to not having the coat closet in the entryway because of space. We were wondering if coat hooks would look too casual but your picture looks elegant.
April 2, 2013 at 1:11pm   
Large lounge room layout.
My lounge has a fire on one wall and the TV on the...
I need help with bedroom art
So although I thought I was totally done decorating...
Describe Scandinavian style in one word!
Scandi might be the darling look of 2014, it's BIG....