Rug - yes or no?
katefriedmann
Hi - I'd love thoughts on whether this rug works with the couch. It's a Madeline Weinrib chenille. The couch is the West Elm Henry in dove gray. My walls are Harbor Grey and floors a dark bamboo. Thoughts?
DIAspoton
yes it's a good choice. a glass coffee table and large original art will finish an elegant,contempoary room.
5 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 4:39AM
I think it is a beautiful rug, and lovely with your couch. With some accent pillows, coffee table and artwork your room is going to be gorgeous.
7 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 4:40AM
Sharon
Beautiful!
2 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 4:44AM
carolins
Yes, it works. Why? Do you have doubts?
1 Like   April 2, 2013 at 4:45AM
olldroo
Works for me, add some finishing touches as suggested by DIAspoton and feeny and you will have a lovely area.
2 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 5:21AM
shelleyuk
I like it too. Very nice
1 Like   April 2, 2013 at 5:23AM
katefriedmann
Thanks everyone! I'm planning to get a round glass coffee table from room and board, so glad I'm on the right path.
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 5:24AM
olldroo
Kate - maybe an oval coffee table??? Depends on how much walk space you have.
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 5:35AM
katefriedmann
Do you have any oval coffee table recs. I'm not seeing too much out there? Thanks!
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 5:39AM
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 5:55AM
olldroo
I saw the Room & Board one, carolins, but at 5 ft long I thought it might be a bit big???
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 4:49PM
Lkristine
Definitely keep it! And sounds like you have beautiful ideas for table!
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 4:51PM
katefriedmann
thanks everyone! sometimes you just need a little positive reinforcement on a decision!
3 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 8:16PM
carolins
olldroo: we think in centimeters and meters, so I just haven't a clue how long 5 ft is :-) Sometimes I do a conversion from inches to centimeters, but sometimes I just don't take the time for it.
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 2:05AM
DIAspoton
kate, i just looked at "glass coffe tables" and saw a few good choices. especially like the harrow 2 tier on page 1 and the lola by cotempo concepts on page 4. what do you think of these?
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 2:31AM
suebaxter
You are concentrating on just the rug and sofa since that's what's there so far. They look wonderful together...go for it! Add a pop of one more color.
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 2:33AM
olldroo
Sorry, carolins, we do metric too, I convert for the US people - 5ft is 152 cm.
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 2:36AM
carolins
Oh... right... that IS a bit big... hehe...
Will take the time to convert next time :-) Mea culpa.
2 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 2:48AM
@carolins - on the conversion stuff I am so in your boat! I have google "translate" set to convert but while I immediatley know what 1.5m measures I would have no idea if you gave it to me in feet and inches! Ah well, it keeps us learning and on our toes

By the way, agree with everyone here on the lovely sofa (which I am now eyeing for myself) and that carpet! As for oval coffee table, well of course there had to be website called coffee tables galore: http://www.coffeetablesgalore.com/coffee-tables/oval/2322+2324+4616.cfm

You just might find what you need there!
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 3:29AM
terdesign
Looks fabulous!,.. And yes some great art work some lighting and I too love the idea of glass table. Make sure and pop with some Awesome pillows. Maybe bring colors out of the artwork !!
2 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 3:57AM
carolins
ASV I'm so relieved that I'm not alone in my inability to just convert feet to meters. Most of the time I have a 'feet to meters conversion' page open in my browser, but the google translation thingy is an idea. Will try to find out how to do that :-)
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 5:07AM
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 5:25AM
bevballew
Great start!
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 5:34AM
olldroo
Carolins and ASV - I'm bi-whatever. I was raised on imperial and then we went decimal in 1966 so I have learned to think in both.
2 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 5:41AM
carolins
Olldroo... I can only think in languages and colours, not in numbers :-D
2 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 5:42AM
edeegourmet
love the rug, love the colours mixed with it. I would put a glass table top coffee table with gold legs, geometrical http://st.houzz.com/fimgs/5f71db4300e75d00_6057-w268-h206-b1-p10--contemporary-coffee-tables.jpg
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 5:51AM
leelee
I love your rug and your couch. Would you be willing to try the same rug in a smaller size more like a 5 x 8 to see if that scale would be better for your room? Sometimes it's better to just fill in the L shape that your sofa forms. It might also make it easier to add other furniture to the room. You'd really need to see it both ways to decide...that might be what you're questioning about the rug. Here's an idea for a painting to tie it all together.
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 6:32AM
I love the size of your rug (and color!). I think larger rugs make a room look generous and pull together a seating area into a coherent whole.
2 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 6:36AM
It's a Beautiful World!
Great suggestion from terdesign! Yes, start with some art you enjoy and then pull some color from it for your pillows and other accessories. Enjoy the process!... Raisa
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 9:59AM
acharney
I love what you have done. In addition to the comments above, how about a nesting table on one side of the couch - the one closes to the camera. I like this one from another houzz room: Contemporary Family Room by Glasgow Interior Designer The Couture Rooms
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 2:51PM
colorsrme
I think the rug is great. Is it a blue green? In my experience you can find so many accents that pop beautifully with blue green. Bright yellow. Apple green. Even shades of Dark Rose. Just make the scale of the design of those bright items, such as if they were pillows, have a size contrast to the rug. Big scale on the rug... Use a smaller scale print in design on the pillows. I'm not a decorator though. :-)
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 3:02PM
leelee
I mentioned a smaller rug not because I think it would look better but because if Kate isn't sure of the rug it must be because she thinks something's not right with it. How could you question that rug? I hope the larger version looks best because the rug is so gorgeous. I've seen instances where a smaller rug looks more balanced but you'd have to compare them both in the same room. That's just a suggestion so you'll feel comfortable that you've made the right choice.
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 3:16PM
Bedroom rug ? Yes or No?
We have a divan bed which is light blue and a are choosing...
Yes or No-rug
This is my 2nd rug purchased. And I'm still not jumping...
Add a rug? Yes or No...
I'm thinking of adding a rug to our relatively small...
Are books/magazines in bathroom a No-No or a Yes-Yes?
The final days of our recent bathroom re-model are...
Tiny vanity, yes or no?
Does anyone have any experience with a tiny vanity...
COLOR BLOCK
im using teal, gray and green for my living and family...
Cream or Gray- VOTE now on a color!
Question on a rug color--- should I do the cream color...
A completed project
Here’s a beauty salon we completed recently. It...
Need Help any ideas small Laundry area on second floor of house
Laundry on second floor...need small washer & dryer...
Help me finish our family room please
So far we have laid new carpet, put in a new gas fireplace,...