Just me this weekend "YAY" Need help redoing daughters room
cleanlady1April 2, 2013
This is my daughters old bedroom. I would like to redo in very pale pink and white. Need some ideas for paint. Keeping the bedset. The blinds are custom and are lacey. Pittsburg, Behr, Shermin Williams and Benjamin Moore. Should I paint the ceiling a different color than the normal white? Need ideas for decorations. Thanks
cleanlady1
I would consider painting the furniture.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 6:45AM
Here are some great pinks from Farrow and Ball - they have an underlying grey to them which takes them from girly to subtle but pretty. I feel anything in this range could work for you and work with the colours in the room. PLUS the pink will add a warm light to the room!
All the best for this weekend!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 6:48AM
lbelmona
I would move the bed to the center of the wall and create a headboard with the stripes of pink and white. Leave the ceiling crisp white and if you'd like you can add white crown molding. I agree with cleanlady1 on painting the furniture and I suggest grey. You can also paint the bay window wall grey especially if you're doing pink drapes.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:05AM
Staged for Perfection
I agree with lbelmona. I am not a lover of furniture at an angle. From a Feng Shui perspective energy gets trapped behind the furniture and from a practical perspective it takes up more room. The furniture should definitely be painted or reworked
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:21AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I like the calamine that AVS posted.It would look fresh with a pale lime green for a accent color. I tell you what the lighting fixture really dates the room. It looks much older than the house or even me. lol That would be the 1st thing I would replace. a small crystal chandelier would be sweet in the room. I think the maple furniture would look good painted a nice soft white. That's a lot of work for a weekend. But black would be really sharp to if you want a complete departure from the look you have now.. But I think you prefer softer colors. I could see a nice upholstered round ottoman in the bay window. The art work could be updated with larger ones and hang them a lower in relation to the furniture to anchor it more. I like white ceilings with the pink. It would be nice to add a floor plant by the window too.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:23AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:28AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
another pink & white with a toy chest built in for storage. http://www.wayfair.com/Angel-Song-Child-Toybox-Ottoman-131620126-AGS1126.html
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:30AM
OnePlan
I hope you have warned her you will be doing this !!! It's amazingly tidy !!! I'm impressed !!!
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:31AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Here's a sweet $50 Chandelier that come in a crystal white color. http://www.wayfair.com/Tadpoles-3-Light-Mini-Chandelier-cchapl004-TI1000.html And I had another thought for a DIY you could upholster the cedar chest top and place it at the window with some pillows to soften the window. I loved the post of Ibelmona with the wide stripe wall. It's easy with the blue painters tape & a level to pencil on lines to guide the tape. It would really add to the room. Would you consider adding tie back curtains just to each side of the bay. I really think you need to play up that feature. I know how you are about cleaning maintenance. lol I think the room could use a full size bed. Or maybe a rod iron head board that is white to play up the presence of the bed more.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:44AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Benjamin Moore pink, sorry I am having trouble posting images http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/paint-color/wildaster
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:50AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Opp's I forgotten you keeping the bedding so no new full bed. lol
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:51AM
Ann Crane
You room will be lovely in pink. Do you prefer a contemporary or a traditional style? You can find reasonably priced prints at overstock.com. Some examples:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Fabrice-de-Villeneuve-Joyful-Time-Giclee-Canvas-Art/7484651/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sheila-Golden-Copper-Bowl-Gallery-wrapped-Canvas-Art/4094429/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sheila-Golden-Pink-Geranium-Canvas-Art/5237748/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lisa-Audit-Marche-de-Fleurs-III-Framed-Print-Art/6193966/product.html

You can pick a color from the art to add some color to the room with pillows, a throw, or other accessories.

Your bump-out window presents a nice opportunity to create a reading nook - maybe a table with one or two chairs.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:02AM
Barnhart Gallery
Hi cleanlady -- How old is your daughter? Does she still live with you, or will this be more of a guest room for her and possibly others? Will a man ever stay here? If she's the one in the wedding photo would a full or queen bed make more sense, as Kevin suggests? Do you need to build in any function besides bed or guest room? (It's very clean, by the way.)
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:10AM
cleanlady1
My daughter got married 2 years ago and now I am a proud grandmother of a baby girl 1 week old today. I have a queen in another room, plus a couple of blow up full size mattresses in storage. I want to keep it my daughters room. I'm in favour of painting the bedroom set. I am good with drapes on the both sides of window. Love the stripes on the main wall and relocating the toy box in front of the window. If I was to paint the furniture, should I go with an off white. Looking for light pink accent pillows for the bed. Yes I will change her light fixture. Loving everyone ideas. How wide should I go with the stripes. Should I measure the wall and divide into even stripes?
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 10:14AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Well you have a new blessing in the family. How wonderful ! I would try to match your trim in the room or lighter on the furniture. Are you going to add a crib in the room? I would go with 16"-18" stripes I would measure the length of the wall and divide it by 12-16 and see how it will lay out on the wall adjusting accordingly so you have near a full stripe on each side of the wall. As you stated. Ruffles are really big & back in style now so I would get simple solid white curtains with a big ruffle on the edge and just do the 2 outer windows. It would be so pretty with the lace shades. If you have some of your child's story books it would be special to frame up 4-6 of the pages in 8"x10" frames in white to hang in a group on the wall. I would also get out a cute keep sake dress & hang it on the wall. A baby blanket to would make cute wall art. Dangle a pair of heirloom booties over the center of the mirror on the dresser or use them as a table top decor. filled with baby's breath. Typography is really in vogue now adding here name or initials or last Initial in a over scaled wall plaque painted by Grandma would be so sweet. They have them at etsy,com finished or unfinished. I bought a 24" tall one for $12. + shipping and painted mine to match my room. They have all sizes & designs. Having a solid painted one and having the whole family sign it would be a new future heirloom that would be so special. I've seen that done at Showers & Christenings such a thoughtful idea. Enjoy that sweet baby girl ! She's so lucky to have you as a Grandma !
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 10:41AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
White ruffled curtains for the Grand baby room at Boscov's Store
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 1:14PM
anitajoyce
I think you should use a much darker pink color, since you will keep the white bedding. How about a pinkish-gray color. This way something will stand out and you have some contrast in the room. Accent colors like green , blue would be nice also.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:49PM
cleanlady1
Kevin: just can't do that type of curtain. Had them years ago. Please tell me there not coming back in.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:38PM
cleanlady1
Wondering, if I do get drapes where do I hang them, keeping in mind the hot water rads on the bottom wall get get quite warm.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:39PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
yes ruffles are back in vogue. Everything always comes around again.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 12:41AM
cleanlady1
Updating the room. It sure is pink. I have to wait 3 days before I can put tape on the wall to do the stripe. Starting today to refinish the bedroom furniture in "Mother of Pearl" by Pittsburg paint. Need advise on pictures for the wall or ideas. the back wall will have large darker pink wide stripes. I have ordered decorative pillows as suggested to me by Kevin. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 8:31AM
cleanlady1
Just about finished. Have a few more items to get, Pictures (open to suggestions) and a small chandelier. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. this was fun. I was able to keep my daughters old furniture and bedding of over 25 years and it looks great.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:12PM
wstdspace
Very very nice! PS Kevin Retired Decorator- YUCK on the ruffled curtains!!! ;)
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:19PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
@ wstdspace, I try to uncover what the client likes. Not what I like.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:27PM
Hobo Jane
LOVE the stripes! Furniture looks great too. Very cute room.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:28PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
The room looks fresh & new, the furniture turned out great painted. Isn't it amazing what paint can do. new walls & furniture. The room looks great !
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:30PM
lbelmona
Love it!! Good job!! The stripes are nice and well done, did you do them?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:31PM
cleanlady1
Ibelmona - I did do the stripes. Was not as hard as I though it would be. I still need ideas for pictures and am looking for a small chandelier. The chandelier, is not that easy to find. I also have a heart shaped wicker chair that I am redoing over and will eventually take out the rocker.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:05PM
lbelmona
For the window treatment:
The best solution for the window treatment in this case is the Roman shades. They can fit inside the window frame away from the hot radiators. I posted few (from Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and Distinctive Window Design).

Regarding the color, you have so many options in this stage: you can add the grey in stripes maybe which will apparently continue the flow in the room since you have stripes on the wall.
You also may introduce a dark color through the woven wood shades, which will create a contrast between the all pink and white room. I'm this case you might need to add a rustic wooden side table.
Other options include incorporating black to produce a dramatic contrast or if you Like more colors you can introduce a second color like green which goes well with the pink.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:07AM
lbelmona
Now for the chandelier, definitely it depends on what you chose foe the windows.
If you chose the white/grey palette, you can hang silver, white or even a crystal mini chandelier above the bed
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:21AM
OnePlan
Awesome ! A job well done ! I hope your daughter visits soon to give her approval too !! I think she will love it !!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:21AM
armygirl1987
If you are close to Target they have a Shabby Chic line and their curtains might fit nice. Also Target has some cute shower curtains that you might make work also.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:22AM
lbelmona
Crystal
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:22AM
lbelmona
If you went for the wood shades, you can consider this option and of course it's totally dependent on your taste!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:23AM
lbelmona
In case you considered the second color (green!!!) check those out ;)
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:25AM
lbelmona
Dramatic contrast requires those chandeliers. Let me know which option you incline to, and I can help you more....
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:27AM
Nancy Walton
Instead of Roman shades, which say "masculine" to me, I would opt for a pink toile fabric in an Austrian shade, which is decidedly more feminine:
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:48AM
Nancy Walton
Like these
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:53AM
LB Interiors
WOW just saw this, directed from your other post. I will have to come back and read it. GREAT JOB!
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:29PM
cleanlady1
Thank you LB Interiors, Still have a few things to do to finish of the room. I cannot take credit for this. This is the work of everyone who gave me the ideas. Kevin was amazing.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:23PM
calikym
Pottery Barn sells this lamp cover. It would look sooooo... Cute in there. BTW, I just love everything you did!
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:42PM
calikym
And they have other pieces that compliment the lamp. So so sweet.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:47PM
Feng Shui Tips
If you want to apply some Feng Shui Tips, it is very important the (year of birth) chinese horoscope of the person who will sleeping there because is too strong the influences of good orientations over each person so you have to display the furniture and bed respect these orientations and the poison arrows of corners.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 10:26AM
cleanlady1
Chandelier is up. Picture not the greatest.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:43PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Very nice ! adds a bit of glam to the room.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:04PM
cleanlady1
Have to thank you for that Kevin - it was your idea! Now pictures where to place them, size, and frames - any ideas?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:12PM
LB Interiors
Love the chandelier! Looks wonderful!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:21PM
lbelmona
I love the chandelier!! The room looks amazing!! Good job cleanlady, keep up the good work!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:18PM
Angelina Vick
I just read this whole thing...I LOVE what you did for this room. It is SO cute. =)

I am personally not a huge fan of stripes on the wall...but seeing the pictures, I have to say...it can definitely work well with the right colors and accessories. The chandelier is adorable.

I have a few ideas for art...continuing this very soft and sweet atmosphere.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/daisy-daisy-blush-pink-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/field-of-flowers-within-3-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/soft-pink-roses-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/peony-perfection-angelina-vick.html

Feel free to ask any questions.

The art can be printed on canvas, with a frame or rolled in a tube, canvas offers a modern look, yet the softness of textiles.
It can be printed on acrylic or metal, which gives it a more modern/contemporary look.
It can also be printed on paper with a full selection of mats and frames, or get it rolled in a tube and choose framing options elsewhere.

A few visuals...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:38PM
Brooke Strong
So cute! Great job!,
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:42PM
Living Room in Need of complete redo, Help me please!
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8665239/thumbs/Help---What-would-you-do-with-this-Living-Room-...
Lynne Forrestal
Redoing Family Room. Need help in all areas.
We built our home twenty five years ago. Bad drywall...
noahowen
Need help in re-doing my old dresser
I have this old dresser and well we just bought a new...
amysteven
living room redo/layout help
hello, I have been a reader for awhile now and have...
dbellisario
Help with paint and Ideas for 13 y/o daughters room!
We got our daughter a lot of stuff to "redo" her room...
Mike
help with tiny kitchen
Paint cabinets? help with storage ideas, no room for...
kenricsyd
Rachel Karaa
Sun room help.
I have a sun room that is off my kitchen that i need...
franlsu
Living room redo
We are redoing our living room, paint, new furniture,...
megkantar
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000