Paint colors and Balance for mid-century style brick house
martin6271
What paint colors for you recommend for the front door, surrounding trim, carport and roof eaves?

I'll be adding a safety rail at the front door in a simple mission design.

Any ideas on how to balance out the big blank triangle on the left?
Lux Construction
I would look to find a sculptural plant for that wall, maybe some sort of evergreen along the lines of the attached image. I would also be inclined towards adding some low walls to break up the front yard, hopefully you could add some definition to the space?
April 2, 2013 at 9:20AM     
White windows, earth toned.brick, wooded site - I'd paint green - a mid-tone cool khaki / stone green for eaves and body to help bridge the givens and tie it back to site. If there is a wooden door behind the glass, that is where the espresso tone should be employed. Landscape for the big wall. Back later w green options.
April 2, 2013 at 9:36AM     
Here's some more specifics - you'll need three tones of green to do this justice. One for eaves and fascia, ceiling of carport. One for vertical paneling and area around doors and windows and another for beams and beam ends - they are going to want to stand out a bit to highlight the great architecture of this mid century gem. Here is vertical surface, area around doors and windows - nice and light to read as the same tone depth as the brick. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6164-svelte-sage/ Here's eaves, fascia, ceiling of carport http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7748-green-earth/
Here's beams and beam ends, and columns in carport http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6166-eclipse/ just a deeper shade of the wall tone. All three shades will work together tonally. If you have trim around your doors and windows, since the brick comes up so close in some places and paneling fills in other places, stick with the svelte sage tone rather than go for additional contrast there with a lighter tone on the card. If you have a large patio cover in the rear, that ceiling is the place to add more light with the coordinating http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6162-ancient-marble/ tone of the color palette. Posts and beams on it should remain dark, and fascia consistent with rest of house. Good Luck!
April 2, 2013 at 10:36AM     
hatgirl
I have a similar house. We left the brick, which is sort of espresso-colored, alone, and painted the wood siding a grayish taupe (matches the mortar pretty well). It is great because it gives it more dimension. The eaves and trim are a white, which I really like because the eaves are deep and really stand out now. It brightened the house up and made it more modern. Our door and garage doors are a deep red. Obviously, you couldn't go with a grey tone, considering your brick color, but I would recommend using earthy tones and the light-colored eaves.

I LOVE the above recommendation regarding using sculptural evergreens and a stepped design in the front yard.
April 2, 2013 at 10:47AM     
hatgirl
If I were you, I'd either go with a pallette of greens as suggested above, or do a golden tan color on siding, white on trim and eaves, and a deep red-orange door.
April 2, 2013 at 10:48AM     
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Moving toilet in second floor bathroom
I would like to move our toilet closer to the bathtub...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Garage Door Repair Vallejo
A qualified Best & Fast garage door company can advise...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....