tiling the floor of a very off-aquare room
qkotila
April 2, 2013
The room is off by about 1/2 inch per foot and has a concrete floor. It is approx 13 by 15 feet. I want to tile the floor and I would like to put a rectangle section of tile in the middle, taking up most of the room and on the edges use sort of a freelance mosaic in a solid color using different sized, not square pieces. This is a main area of the house, mainly a dining area. That way the middle will sort of resemble a carpet and people will focus on that instead of the awkward shape. I am looking for opinions of this idea or other options. Thanks.
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
If I am following you correctly, are you saying the room is 7 or 8 inches out of square?
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:18PM
Sense of Space
Depending on the style of your house and your budget, you could go with field stone (irregularly shaped stones normally used for patios and walkways).
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:44PM
Scott Design, Inc.
If one of your walls is out of square by as much as 7" or 8" (1/2" per foot for 15' is pretty extreme) then a border will emphasize the out-of-squareness even more. If your walls are parallel to each other but out of square (like a trapezoid), then you can follow the shape of the room with a pretty consistent border. This being said, if you use a rectangular table then it will either be out of square with the floor or walls or both. Do you see where I'm going with this? It's similar to building a house...if the foundation is out of square then everything from the foundation up is affected. Since this is such an extreme situation, I suggest... 1. Eliminate the border and use a random layout of several size tiles. 2. Use irregular shaped stone for the entire floor as Sense of Space has suggested. 3. Go to the next level and fir out the wall(s) and apply sheetrock to bring them into square?
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:32PM
qkotila
Firring is out of the question - it's a concrete house in Mexico, no sheetrock. It really is at least off square by that much. The room may be trapazoidal - I'll have to do some better measurements. Right now the forms are being put in to pour the new concrete roof. Thanks for the input. I was really hoping to use tile but maybe I'll need to reconsider.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 5:00PM
annaclink
Try a Versaille pattern in tile! It adds some visual interest and the multi-sized layout will distract from the awkward room layout.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 5:14PM
Very unpleasant peel-and-stick tiles
You pros may all be tired of addressing this problem!...
beeloved
Very long and open living/dinning room area!!
Our house was built in the 1950's and has under gone...
Thais Fernandez
Selecting a Very, Very Durable Rug for High Traffic Area
We need help separating fact from fiction re: wall...
robbiess
does dark brown furnitures go very well with this gray tile as in pic?
the living room furniture to be is dark brown but I'm...
Liliane Kasbah
Powder Room Floor Tile
Changing my mind about my floor. I have a dolce stained...
Barb
Acrylic or cast iron tub?
I've only ever had a cast iron tub, but the tub I'm...
Jen Ratner
Help with our fireplace
We broke our bank with our house remodel and are left...
lisabarnum1
Front exterior door color
I just painted my heritage style home Benjamin Moore...
sheilamarshall8
Why should I hire an interior decorator if I can do it myself?
David Hollies writes this article explaining the benefits...
Space Design Miami
Kitchen Paint Help
Need help with the wall color for a kitchen, great...
jewhitt