New hardwood floor
mongee
April 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have hardwood in my entry and kitchen which both adjoin the dining room. I would like to update my. Dining room and get rid of the white carpeting. I will probably be unable to match the hardwood because it is 15 years old. Can I do a different shade in the dining room without it looking strange?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Granite Grannies
Absolutely. Much better to try and contrast with a lighter or darker shade than try to match it. My previous home was 200 years old, so over the years, different hardwoods had been put in so that almost every room had a different color and shape hardwood. It's actually a really great look. Adds a lot of character to the home. Most wood looks good together. And any hardwood will look better wall to wall carpeting. By the way, I love that wallpaper.
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 10:22AM
PRO
Lux Construction
I have to disagree, assuming your flooring is actual hardwood a pro can easily install and refinish to match the existing, though it would require refinishing the existing hardwood too. If you want the spaces to read as one, this is the best approach.

On the other hand, if you're hoping to create an accent in the space then Granite Grannies is spot on!
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 10:25AM
mmilos
Is the existing hardwood an engineered/pre-finished hardwood or full traditional wood? If traditional wood flooring, and you wanted the flooring to match, you could get same sized planked wood and have the flooring company integrate them into your existing flooring - so you wont see a definitive line at the transition. Then resand, stain and finish all the hardwoods to match...may not be perfect match but it will be hard to tell. This is a more expensive option of course.
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 10:27AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
I think you should be able to get close- just get some samples done before hand. My only suggestion is to do something different in the room to make it look like it should be there- like installing the wood on a diagonal or creating a pattern Installing a second wood in a darker tone. Maybe create an area around the dining table. french inspired house remodel Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.
2 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 10:31AM
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Expanding on Kelly's comment, I suggest a 12" border around the perimeter of the room in a deliberately darker (mahogany maybe) stain. The wood in the center of the room could be a close match to your existing floors. This would look intentional, which is what you want. Plus, this is what they used to do in old houses - use expensive wood as a boarder, less expensive in the center which would be covered by an area rug.
1 Like   April 2, 2013 at 11:10AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
PH Interiors, thank you for explaining my plan so much better than I did!
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 11:35AM
mongee
Thank you so much everyone! Looks like I will be headed to the flooring store.
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 12:03PM