Need new exterior colors
kjnich22
April 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We need to repaint our urban Denver house and I'm struggling with how to deal with the different trims parts. Any advice, opinions would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
libradesigneye
The scheme you have is really perfect, because they called out all the details. You can switch colors around. If you are wanting a new color palette, look at what is fixed and not changing - black roofs, railing and storm door, terracotta stone steps. Then make sure you are in harmony there. You could switch the red to a more rusty tone of persimmon, and alter your shades of taupe to more gray to work better with them. Just remember that the body of the house on the brick and the siding above need to be near in tone (really the only difference may be here that one is in a masonry formulation so tones shift a bit), so that it reads as one tall elevation.

Note that your white is successful because it is an ivory / beige / old white appropriate to the age of the house. Note they used one tone deeper for the banding across and the long trim around the base of the masonry. This attention to the details is what makes your home look expensive. Look in the paint store books / online here for victorian paint combos to help. You can assure that your home will show its best if you are ready for a change, but make sure you retain this attention to the contrasting details. Only note on the original house I'm not crazy about is that the shutters read a little darker than the roof. I would have stuck with a charcoal in between house tone and roof tone myself, but that is nit-picking. Honestly, for me, this is so successful that I'd just tinker with two accents - taking the red more towards persimmon and the shutters to charcoal. Used to live in Denver in Wash Park, loved the architecture there and miss it - you have a beautiful home!
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 11:29AM