Bathroom Help!!
Sarah Peterson
So we have a tiny bathroom with yellow tile and black trim tile around the whole bathroom. We were thinking of a light purple for the walls but as I rolled on the color I realized it was definitely the wrong decision. Our other idea was blue. But now that we have this purple I'm thinking maybe I can lighten it. Or should I just ditch the purple and go with blue?
Someone else went with blue "We were trying to work with our original 1955 tile, so we painted the walls Valspar's Summer Sorbet "

Personally, I am not sure I like it. Nor the purple (even lighter).

If your bathroom is small, would you not consider matching the yellow below and painting it that colour; or even a lighter shade of it? It will give you much needed visual space. The last thing you want to do is to define walls - you need to make them blend in with each other.

April 2, 2013 at 11:12am     
Sarah Peterson
thanks : )
April 2, 2013 at 11:14am     
rinqreation
The yellow will look dirty with a cool color. Pick orange, yellow, metallic gold or bronze, (coral) red. Or white. Maybe brown. Last option for a blue could be a turquoise/teal. If it were my bathroom, I'd choose offwhite. http://retrorenovation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/yellow-and-black-tile-vinta.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q5XWxWcw-mk/Tk2samlMtHI/AAAAAAAABkA/BjFs8DDtlLw/s1600/IMG_1458.JPG
April 2, 2013 at 11:53am     
PH Interiors, LLC
I so agree with ASV Interiors - that was my first thought too. Paint the walls to match the yellow tile color.
April 2, 2013 at 12:04pm     
Amy Stanley
The purple is definitely not complimentary. I think a creamy off white or yellow would be nicer. If you wanted color I would try a shade of blue.
April 2, 2013 at 12:08pm   
michigammemom
I like your vintage yellow and black tile. I would suggest pale gray on the walls for an updated modern look.
April 2, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Barnhart Gallery
Sevans -- this is the same vintage tile in one of the kitchens at my family summer place. Wish I had a photo, but you get the idea:
April 2, 2013 at 1:41pm   
furrytoes
@Barnhart Gallery: I'm always impressed with your creativity (I'm following the thread about Spoffy, too). Love the maps -- hope you post photos of your bathroom someday.
Did you seal the maps? and if so, with what?
April 2, 2013 at 1:53pm     
Lisa
Here's a few ideas on color palette scheme
April 2, 2013 at 1:56pm   
A. Peltier Interiors
as Furrytoes posted above, you need to pull the room together a little more before just picking a paint color. Choose your towels, drapery treatments and any other color and pattern including artwork that will go in the room. If you can then pull a color from all that it will look much better. But probably in the end you will still find that a very warm creamy white with a hint of yellow will work best. i actually have that same tile in my kitchen. The walls and cupboards are a creamy white and then i did a very cute black and white gingham check for the drapes. I have black and white accents around the kitchen and the artwork i used had lots of color but it has a vintage whimsical feel to it. the only other thing I could do to my kitchen is add a stencil or wallpaper that had a soft grey and white pattern to it. But with some much going on with the tile i still think you will like the creamy light walls the best.
April 2, 2013 at 2:02pm     
Barnhart Gallery
Thanks furrytoes! For a bath, I'd recommend a water based varnish -- in our case, it will be new drywall next time, so keep that in mind.
April 2, 2013 at 2:03pm   
Regina Rogowskyj
We had the exact same tile and replaced top row with matching mosaic in green/beige/taupe and wall paint beige/yellow
April 2, 2013 at 3:49pm   
Barnhart Gallery
If its exact vintage is of any interest, our summer place was built in 1947. (And not in it's current location, thanks to Carol, the Hurricane of '54.)
April 2, 2013 at 4:24pm   
Junky Fresh
Hey Sarah! Im not stalking you I promise lol I just happened to click on your profile and saw your other dilemna and coincedentally, I also got married last January! (Jan 6th) Also- When I was single and had my own place, I was living in the cutest craftsman guesthouse with gorgeous original wood floors and a bathroom with tile similiar to yours! I painted the top wall part a blue based grey. It looked more blueish than grey if that makes any sense. Pic attached...Like someone here mentioned be careful about picking a color that will make the tiles look "dirty". I got lots of paint color chips at Home Depot and stuck them against the tiles for a few days to get an idea...I do like the suggestion of a creme, off-white, color too though! Good luck!
April 3, 2013 at 3:29pm     
Sarah Peterson
I think we are going to be new best friends Lisette! I got married January 6th too! Thanks for the idea. I have a whole house to do so if you comment again I won't think you are stalking me :-)
April 3, 2013 at 3:47pm     
rnvickie
I vote for light blue.
April 14, 2013 at 11:20am   
Keitha
My vote is for yellow. Then use black framed art and one of those great shower curtains that furry toes suggested... Waverly pompom is my personal favorite! Great bath with lots of charm!!
April 14, 2013 at 11:30am   
Back Porch Decor? What do you think?
I am trying to spiff up the back porch and would love...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
New bathroom resized from 5'-0"x 8-0" to 5'-0"x 10-0"- what to do?
How would you make use of the extra 2 feet? It is going...
Need help with baby room colors!!
I love eclectic bright baby rooms. I want my baby girls...