Want to convert our sliding patio door to a French door using the same door but adding and changing hardware &
electrician1967
No pictures yet
Fenstermann LLC
I would not recommend doing that. Is there a reason you are not buying a French Door? Are you going to try it yourself?
April 2, 2013 at 11:18am   
electrician1967
Yes, trying it our selves. Door is a top of the line Pella door. Can't justify throwing it away.
April 2, 2013 at 11:51am   
zennifer
Sell the door in CL and buy a new one?
April 2, 2013 at 11:57am   
Fenstermann LLC
What size is the door?
What material?
April 2, 2013 at 11:58am   
electrician1967
Existing size door is 5'8" wide (approx) and 78" tall. Wood door clad in aluminum from Pella. Mini blinds between the glass.

What is "CL" to sell door?
April 2, 2013 at 12:30pm   
Fenstermann LLC
I would consider donating the door to Habitat for Humanity. http://www.habitat.org/getinv/materials_donations.aspx

I do not think you can change it into a French door easily. It will end up as a headache to do yourself. Without a proper seal, you may end up spending hours/days modifying just get rid of the door at the end anyway. Save yourself the nightmare, and just donate it.

As far as selling it on Craigslist, it will be very hard to do. You do not have a standard size, and the people looking for extra windows are DIYers that a wood clad product will probably not fit.
April 2, 2013 at 12:58pm   
electrician1967
Not the answer we were looking for. The Pella door is worth about $4,000. Don't want to give away.
April 2, 2013 at 2:33pm   
Call Pella. Maybe you can get some info there.
April 2, 2013 at 2:35pm   
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Sliding doors use a track system top and bottom, with grooved jambs to "close" door, French type doors use typical flat hinged jambs and slanted thresholds. Without removing existing door and replacing with new pre-framed door, it is nearly impossible, or extremely expensive. Sounds like you have a typical 6' slider which is a standard size, you just are not measuring at the full frame, but rather the doors themselves, which gives the 5'8"x78" measurement. You can try to resell but likely will not recoup cost.
April 2, 2013 at 2:55pm     
Ironwood Builders
Yep..gotta agree with all the postings above. Bite the bullet and yank the door. Yank the trim inside and out. Flash the opening and if the door size is custom, Pella will make you a brand new French door to fit. That or stay where you are...because I don't think I can do what you want and I've been doing this stuff almost half my life....and you've not done it at all.
April 2, 2013 at 5:36pm   
Need help decorating living room in beach house in Jersey cottage
Hello and thank you for any and all suggestions. This...
Floor plan Critique, L-shape house
Greetings, We are about to pull the trigger on a new...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
how to fix a painted deck
My husband and I just bought a home that has a large...
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...