Need major curb appeal!

Jennifer FreemanApril 2, 2013
I need ideas for adding curb appeal to our house.
A Crew of Two
I would paint the house a taupe/gray color to match your brick. Maybe some black flower boxes with yellow and orange flowers. Paint the fascia boards and posts the same color as the window trim
SW6141 Softer Tan · More Info
-
Lowcountry Living · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 1:18PM
misecretary
It appears the drive leads directly to the porch. Perhaps consider breaking it up a few feet from the porch and adding some ornatmental grass or a piece of fencing to provide a visual break.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 6:21PM
lastplace
I agree with both the comments above. I would suggest you define your front porch with railings. I will also breakup the long flat look of the house. The scale and balance of the windows would work well with shutters if that is your style. What color or material is the driveway?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:51PM
Jennifer Freeman
Driveway is concrete. I have considered the railings and some curved flower beds.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 5:11AM
brody1313
I would unite the two sides of house by painting a darker gray color.....I would also beef up your columns, make them at least twice as wide for balance.....maybe a chippendale style bench at end of porch by door, a tall planter on other side of door at least knee high, maybe a larger light......plantings along house, love the grasses.....good luck
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 5:27AM
lastplace
The driveway is very drab and hard to ignore because of the size and location. A quick cheap fix would be semi transparent stain. It will give it a fresh look and will not peel or flake, just fade a little over time. Post some pics as you go, it would be great to see the changes
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 4:14PM
azzato
Paint the house a nice neutral color, Make those skinny porch columns into stone pillars, put some cedar shake on the peak of the porch to set it apart, add some flower boxes and shutters to the windows and get a new front door and light fixture. Lastly, colorful landscaping should do the trick
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 4:43PM
studio10001
I'd also suggest a buffer line between the driveway and the house. Ideally, the drive would look better to the right of the house -alot of work to pull up, I know - but as an intermediary measure,perhaps you could place a row of permanent pots with a hedging material along the front porch. Or pull up a bit of the drive and plant directly.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 4:56PM
inabunker
I would convert the driveway into a walkway - doesn't look like you have to walk that far from the curb (or just get rid of it altogether).
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 5:02PM
studio10001
(Poor Jennifer) Just what you wanted to hear, right?
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 6:23PM
Jennifer Freeman
Ok some of these suggestions are a little crazy. I don't have thoudsands of dollars to rip up the driveway and move the sprinkler system. The siding is a month old as well as the lighting fixture. I agree with the railings, curved flowerbeds, and possibly shutters would add a lot tot he house. The trim would likely be painted when I painted the railing. What color would you paint trim, railings, posts etc.?
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:31PM
studio10001
Any light neutral will work fine. Best of luck.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:43AM
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
The driveway looks good except for a small crack which can be patched and if your budget permits I would add sturdy pavers on top or just stain it a deeper brown or blue gray for now. Since it is such a prominent part it would be good to have it attractive. Painting the siding either a medium gray or brown to match the brick would balance it out. If you are going to live in the house for a long time I would budget to have a bricklayer come in and put stone over it to match the far right side, add some stone steps at the entrance and beef up the columns . That would add a lot of value to your house. Your sloping yard would make a wonderful rock garden with low growing evergreens, ornamental grasses, bloomng deciduous shrubs and perennials and annuals like in the doodle I've done below.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 1:36PM
smeekins
The driveway doesn't need to be "ripped up" or cost "thousands"... The driveway can be cut up selectively with a concrete saw (less than $100/day rental) and removed (hire a demo person or rent small dumpster + friends with a little muscle + feed them). You will need to determine disposal of concrete once it's been cut up and removed. Can be done with a couple hundred dollars. The sketch above is constructive for ideas - maybe remove the last 8' of the driveway between the porch - then and add stepping stones and grass infill. Or reuse cut up pieces of concrete....similar to picture below...(sans swimming pool of course!) [houzz=
Fenske Pool · More Info
]
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 2:56PM
studio10001
yup.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 3:34PM
Need advice on Curb Appeal for our rectangular flat roof home.
Our house is a FL Wright inspired home (Usonian). ...
sjones1122
Please help! Need curb appeal..
Could you give me advise on how to arrange my movie...
rinqreation
Help with our Older Home - Needs Modern Ideas for Exterior Curb Appeal
We have an older 1950's bungalow that we are currently...
schoenherr11
Need Curb Appeal
My son and daughter-in-law bought this little house...
notme11
Design for Master Bedroom
I have 6x5meter room with a door on left corner. It...
faizaraisi
wall paint
These are fabrics for my livingroom but i need help...
bishri25
Round Mirror Over my Fireplace
I love the idea of a round mirror over my dining room...
notredame96
Need help for Curtains in Bedroom
Hi dear experts. I cannot decide what color curtain...
Armine Antonyan
Basic Rectangle Ranch Needs Curb Appeal
Hi all, this is my first Houzz post! We bought this...
Laura Campbell
Sponsored Products
Oxford Outdoor Clock with Thermometer
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Runner: Noah Packard Gray Green 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
14-Gallon Flo N' Go Portable Fueling System
$169.00 | FRONTGATE
Retrospective Wall Sconce by ELK Lighting
$146.00 | Lumens
Tapered Cylinder Wall Sconce
$196.20 | Bellacor
Braunfels Four-Jet Outdoor Shower Panel With Hand Shower
Signature Hardware
Trafalgar Quilt Set
$99.99 | zulily
Round Wood Base Table Lamp with White Cylinder Shaped Burlap Shade
ParrotUncle