Need major curb appeal!
Jennifer Freeman
I need ideas for adding curb appeal to our house.
A Crew of Two
I would paint the house a taupe/gray color to match your brick. Maybe some black flower boxes with yellow and orange flowers. Paint the fascia boards and posts the same color as the window trim SW6141 Softer Tan Lowcountry Living
April 2, 2013 at 1:18pm     
misecretary
It appears the drive leads directly to the porch. Perhaps consider breaking it up a few feet from the porch and adding some ornatmental grass or a piece of fencing to provide a visual break.
April 2, 2013 at 6:21pm     
lastplace
I agree with both the comments above. I would suggest you define your front porch with railings. I will also breakup the long flat look of the house. The scale and balance of the windows would work well with shutters if that is your style. What color or material is the driveway?
April 2, 2013 at 8:51pm     
Jennifer Freeman
Driveway is concrete. I have considered the railings and some curved flower beds.
April 3, 2013 at 5:11am   
brody1313
I would unite the two sides of house by painting a darker gray color.....I would also beef up your columns, make them at least twice as wide for balance.....maybe a chippendale style bench at end of porch by door, a tall planter on other side of door at least knee high, maybe a larger light......plantings along house, love the grasses.....good luck
April 3, 2013 at 5:27am     
lastplace
The driveway is very drab and hard to ignore because of the size and location. A quick cheap fix would be semi transparent stain. It will give it a fresh look and will not peel or flake, just fade a little over time. Post some pics as you go, it would be great to see the changes
April 3, 2013 at 4:14pm   
azzato
Paint the house a nice neutral color, Make those skinny porch columns into stone pillars, put some cedar shake on the peak of the porch to set it apart, add some flower boxes and shutters to the windows and get a new front door and light fixture. Lastly, colorful landscaping should do the trick
April 3, 2013 at 4:43pm     
studio10001
I'd also suggest a buffer line between the driveway and the house. Ideally, the drive would look better to the right of the house -alot of work to pull up, I know - but as an intermediary measure,perhaps you could place a row of permanent pots with a hedging material along the front porch. Or pull up a bit of the drive and plant directly.
April 3, 2013 at 4:56pm   
inabunker
I would convert the driveway into a walkway - doesn't look like you have to walk that far from the curb (or just get rid of it altogether).
April 3, 2013 at 5:02pm   
studio10001
(Poor Jennifer) Just what you wanted to hear, right?
April 3, 2013 at 6:23pm   
Jennifer Freeman
Ok some of these suggestions are a little crazy. I don't have thoudsands of dollars to rip up the driveway and move the sprinkler system. The siding is a month old as well as the lighting fixture. I agree with the railings, curved flowerbeds, and possibly shutters would add a lot tot he house. The trim would likely be painted when I painted the railing. What color would you paint trim, railings, posts etc.?
April 3, 2013 at 9:31pm   
studio10001
Any light neutral will work fine. Best of luck.
April 4, 2013 at 8:43am   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
The driveway looks good except for a small crack which can be patched and if your budget permits I would add sturdy pavers on top or just stain it a deeper brown or blue gray for now. Since it is such a prominent part it would be good to have it attractive. Painting the siding either a medium gray or brown to match the brick would balance it out. If you are going to live in the house for a long time I would budget to have a bricklayer come in and put stone over it to match the far right side, add some stone steps at the entrance and beef up the columns . That would add a lot of value to your house. Your sloping yard would make a wonderful rock garden with low growing evergreens, ornamental grasses, bloomng deciduous shrubs and perennials and annuals like in the doodle I've done below.
April 4, 2013 at 1:36pm     
smeekins
The driveway doesn't need to be "ripped up" or cost "thousands"... The driveway can be cut up selectively with a concrete saw (less than $100/day rental) and removed (hire a demo person or rent small dumpster + friends with a little muscle + feed them). You will need to determine disposal of concrete once it's been cut up and removed. Can be done with a couple hundred dollars. The sketch above is constructive for ideas - maybe remove the last 8' of the driveway between the porch - then and add stepping stones and grass infill. Or reuse cut up pieces of concrete....similar to picture below...(sans swimming pool of course!) [houzz=
]
April 4, 2013 at 2:56pm     
studio10001
yup.
April 4, 2013 at 3:34pm   
Need Major help with curb appeal
I need help with curb appeal. Besides landscaping I...
Major Curb Appeal Update Needed! HELP ME!
We're planning to sell our home in the somewhat near...
Need major help with curb appeal
Just bought this house and I feel it has no curb appeal....
Undermount sink questions
We've got an undermount sink installed in out granite...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Chintz anyone?
I have tried to update my living room & dining room...