What does this room need. Should I hang curtains?
maesviewApril 3, 2013
I posted before when this room was empty. I found these blinds and they work well. I like them. I am uncertain what to do with the big window. SHould I hang curtains? I do not want to paint the house yet as our big funding will got to getting a patio done. Suggestions? Thank you.
Signature Designs Kitchen & Bath
You room is very clean an minimal looking. I would invest in some dramatic clustered chandeliers over the dining room table to start with. Add accessories to the center of the table with height and dramatic color. Pulling in more chartreuse and grey is a good idea, it just need to be layered and dramatic.

Signature Designs by Bonnie Bagley Catlin
10 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 4:25AM
creeser
I agree that a chandelier over the table would look great. Something that wouldn't obstruct your view but is fun. As for the window covering, since you like your blinds, what about more of the same? One long one placed below the arch that matches the other windows.
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 4:34AM
mrstinylady
Love the ideas above, but why not simply put in fabric-covered cornice box / valances over the square windows to the arch (on both sides) for a horizontal line. The fabric you choose should have a statement in design, pattern, and color to incorporate your color scheme and mood. Get a rug (larger than the one you have) to go with that fabric.

It looks like you GO BOLD, and that works so well in the room! Make your centerpiece and lighting equally bold. Remove the small piece(s) in the corner and raise the art there so it is at eye level consistent with the other art.
Decorate the dining table with plate chargers, nesting dishes, and napkins. Here's where the bling makes an awesome statement.

http://eightsouthoak.blogspot.com/2012/07/table-setting-cheat-sheets.html
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 5:37AM
mrstinylady
Change it up every week!
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 5:38AM
pitbulls
How about a rug with some pattern and color?
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 5:40AM
bevballew
I would agree. Same window treatment of,the blinds as the other,window. Only other option I see is silk panels in between each window, but not sure about height. I am no decorator so look forward to other suggestions.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 6:04AM
What's Inside Design Ltd.
I love your dining room! You have done a wonderful job with it!!! I agree and would use the same window covering on the large window. I also agree that your space is in need of a large chandelier. The one I've suggested below would add some serious "WOW" to your dining room!!!
I hope this helps!
Caroline :)
17 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 6:15AM
JMittman Designs
What kind of blinds did you get? Are those mini blinds?
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 6:20AM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I would not be introducing horizontal lines...think you need floor length panels between each window, so that makes 4 panels, one each side of the big window and each of the small windows. Simple panels in white or ivory would look great without drawing attention to themselves. Not sure from your photos what the ceiling is like above the demilune, so would say hang panels as high as possible but not above the demilune so the panels frame it.? Make sense? Not a fan of the "blackboards" you have as art??
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 6:24AM
maesview
Thank you all. These have been helpful suggestions. At JMITTMAN Designs, they are mini blinds but they don't have the size for the big window. @ Julie Thome Draperies, the big art will stay as my husband loves them lol, I wanted sconce on those walls but you all know how it is. @ What's inside design, love love the chandelier. I was thinking panels would be great hang them the same level as the blinds? Maybe something gray. I am in the process of searching for a cabinet of some sort to replace that microwave cart on the corner.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:29AM
snyggt
I love your diningroom,and your colours
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:39AM
Artisan Finishes LLC
I have those same chairs. I haven't had the time yet, but I plan on stenciling and dying the slip covers. It will add a great design element, a splash of color, and the covers are so economical you can get a second set for when you want white. They can change seasonally! I've got to get to work on mine. They are going to be sooo awesome.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:40AM
Mary Loy
Mini blinds do come in the larger sizes. It may have to be a custom order. There are several solutions that I see for the windows. For sure the panels on each side of the windows would be a great solution. The black "shutters" are giving it an outside look instead of inside. If there is a way you can move them to another area, beside the windows on a blank wall perhaps. I understand doing things to make another happy; however you are doing this at the expense of the beautiful wall of windows that you have. There are also ways of putting fabric color on the windows. If you are able to make a pattern above the arch area you can add a few inches of height by cutting a board. There are many books to describe how this board is built. A small scroll saw will cut this and they are in the 30-40 dollar range. You will find it will come in handy for many things around the house. You can then cover the wood in padding; fabric and allow the drapery panels to hang in behind.
You can also find straight rods that would go straight across the windows. I would do the same treatment on all the other windows if I used this solution.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:40AM
stanny60
I love the clean look with no fabric on the windows. I would invest in a gorgeous chandelier!
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:44AM
readaholic54
after going thru hurricane sandy and completely gutting the first floor, I think that minimal is very classy. I would get a bold rug,,, and thats it... the room is beautiful
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:46AM
AJ Flanagan
Color in the area rug - match the green of the place mats.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:46AM
owwi
What a coicindence - I put a dining room addition on our house 10 years ago and it is IDENTICAL to yours - except we have vaulted ceilings. I do not have curtains but what I did to remedy the black hole at Night look (curtainless windows look ugly at night) I put spotlights for the outside of the windows so at night, the outdoors looks like an extension of the indoors. It is very effective.
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:48AM
Lois Kirby
instead of the art next to the big window, I would put two tall plants
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:00AM
Nancy Walton
You need COLOR! And don't cover up the demilune window... I would use the lime green as your accent, with splashes of black, white, and yellow. In curtain panels.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:01AM
Susan Morton
shutters would look good. Beautiful room.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:01AM
OnePlan
some ferns would add texture and homeliness and are in keeping with the colour scheme !
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:03AM
Christi Maurer_Hoehn
Neutral drapes to the floor with dark rods to add richness and create a cozy effect, leaving the top of the transom windows exposed. Add a substantial light fixture, possibly with crystals (keeping the modern feel) to add a little sparkle and ambience. Keep color to a minimum except in accessories which can be changed. Varied height candle holders with white or off white thick pillar candles are an easy and inexpensive way to add drama. Beautiful room!
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:10AM
Design With Your Dime in Mind
Floor length neutral drapes with a bit of shimmer to them, and a chandelier. Also switch out the existing rug for one that has more texture. This is a beautiful room!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:18AM
cbpei
First off, I want to say, it is your room and you can choose or ignore my comment. I love chandeliers, but think the one shown above is a bit too pretty for your room. I did try searching for what I had in mind and couldn't easily find one. I did come across this that gives quite a different look. http://www.lowes.ca/chandeliers/allen-roth-18-light-bronze-chandelier_g1197799.html?isku=8775894&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage
I feel that the lighting should be a little more trendy chandelier with some black or blackened bronze to pick up the black in your room and to fill the space. The plant in the corner could be a little higher. Do let us know what you decide - you have done a wonderful job so far!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:22AM
Eldonna Ruddock
A chandelier or two; Big showy centerpiece with lots of the apple green color; I'm not crazy about the blinds for this space; open drapes with great hardware. Not crazy about the wall art either. I'd put a couple of coordinated very modern abstracts there. Whatever is going on in the corner I would replace with a large, palmy tree plant.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:23AM
ginnyloveshomes
Curtains - yes, yes! Put them on the sides of ALL the windows. They will accent your beautiful windows and add some needed softness, texture, and sound absorption to the room. Right now, the room has a lot of hard lines and surfaces. If you choose a pattern for the curtains, keep the other patterns in the room to a minimum. Move all the art to other rooms in the house. They are nice, but they don't work for that space. Invest in a beautiful rug -- you will not regret it. I would like to see a Persian rug with shades of green and burgundy (think of the colors in a tossed salad and a glass of wine.) Center the room with either a chandelier or an amazing and tall centerpiece. If you choose the centerpiece, I'd like to see a tall, wide glass vase so folks can see through it across the table. Paint does not cost much and would make a dramatic improvement to the room (soft green?) A warm color would contrast nicely against the window trim and the curtains. For the table, try round place mats or a beautiful tablecloth.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:27AM
Marta St_John_Anders
I think you have a good foundation laid. I would add lighting and texture in the form of fabrics. The view is great, so I wouldn't add window treatments or a chandelier that competes. I think the artwork breaks up the flow of the window walls. Could you move those pieces to another wall? Perhaps you could add panel curtains with a modern, subtle graphic that repeats your color palette. I have had great luck finding affordable curtains and curtain rods at stores like Ross and TJ Maxx. Plants would bring the outdoors in, or a leafy graphic on the curtains would do the same. We just added lighting and ceiling fans to our house and I find that recessed lighting on dimmers does wonders! My last suggestion would be to remove the little table in the corner. I'm not sure what the function is, but visually it looks cluttered and accidental and interferes with the great clean lines you have everywhere else.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:28AM
Angela Deal Meanix
I think it needs some wood elements to make it feel warmer. i agree about the artwork. if the artwork mimicked the simple hues and shapes of the landscape view that would be very appealing.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:28AM
VW yang
You have a large table, so would suggest you put an interesting center piece on it. Would also add curtains.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:36AM
Nancy Walton
This gives you an idea of the fabric, but it's not exactly what I had in mind.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:40AM
fleurylisa
Large lemon tree in far corner. Orange frames around windows. Big silver bowl with oranges & clemintines middle of table.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:48AM
Jeanne Mccarthy
An THE window and the view are wonderful I would bring that inside with naturalist .wood sisal plants .It really is a beautiful room I love it!
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:52AM
I would hang linen panels on all windows. Not on arch, leave open. Panels will make room look finished. Since you white walls go a med gray panel. A black rod on all windows. Extend pass window 6" on each side. Remove long plaques use together on another wall. The smaller pics you have on other wall not to scale for room. Remove. With panels up will cover wall. You do not need anything. A light over dining table hung 36" above table. Your furn is contemporary . So stay with that look. It should to scale, not to small. Since you have rectangle table you could go that style over table. Then on table love your place mats, color is good. But you need 3 tall at lest one should be over 18-20 tall. Panels are not expensive. Can buy ready made. No need to do custom .
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:54AM
P.S. Put a tall silk palm, where other short plant is. In a nice pot in the green in place mats. Using plants is great way to feel in space. Using very tall pots in color is another.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:57AM
PPS. Have panels just brush floor. Panels come in lengths like 86", 94 etc. So measure from where rod will go to floor to get right length. Very easy to install.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:00AM
Richard Martin - West Coast Home Design Assoc.
How about a little table bling like this fruit bowl? Modern Stainless Steel Fruit Bowl Also a little colour in the area rug, and perhaps change out the word art with something with a bit of colour and a tall plant in the corner. Also a nice large drum pendant to carry on with the clean lines. Possible style...
Alecia's Necklace Drum Pendant by George Kovacs
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:05AM
Just noticed rug. Go bold. And bigger. This one is small for rom. When chairs pushed back should still be on rug. Use the different shades of gray, black, with some of the green you have in mats. Make a graphic bold contemporary look. You have a big room. With high ceilings. Remember keep things to scale. In your case you can go big, tall, bold. Your room is off to a good start. Keep it going.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:09AM
Get rid of cart. Replace with tall palm. Add 3 bar stools to counter. Contemporary with high backs, no arms in a black or the green. Would make the room look done.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:12AM
Lucky's Charmed Home Staging & Organization, Inc
You have a very unique decor going on but I would add some color and life to the room. Some type of hanging light over the table. I would place a tall, slender plant in the corner where you have the little table or a hanging basket with either greenery or flowers. I see white and brown when I look at the room with little bits of green. Green is a great color that can bring a lot to a room.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:17AM
Artisan Finishes LLC
You could add some color to the rug with fabric paint and a stencil. What can I say, I'm all about paint. As for bar stools at the counter, we have the matching ones at our counter. The backs are a little lower than the chair back so they don't overwhelm the room.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:22AM
Dan Ionescu
It looks great. I love the chairs.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:24AM
Victoria Zizzo
I have the same dining set and started out with a blank slate (white walls) too. I painted the previously bronze chandelier white and painted stripes on the walls. It completely livened up the space!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:26AM
freesiadesignsbykim
I would suggest you take the mini blinds off the windows. The design of those window panels are beautiful and should be seen. Curtain rods just hung about a foot above the windows with curtain panels that can be drawn open and shut.. i would take down the pictures on the walls,and take away the little table that's off to the side. I love the lighting fixture and the dining room set.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:44AM
linderella
I would put panels on either side of the big window and add cornices in matching fabric above the single windows. You can use single mini deco rods ((18" to 24") for the drapery panels so you won't have to worry about a brace due to the width of the window. Unless you have the blind installed professionally, it is difficult to add a blind to an eyebrow window, but that would be an option to be consistent with the other windows. I would also add a chandelier keeping with the level of formality of the roomand remove the tea cart. The art work you already have in the room is more suited to a kitchen or breakfast area and not a formal dining room. If this is your only dining area, keep the table arrangement simple so that it can be relocated when using the table. If you it is your "formal" space you can be a little more elaborate with the arrangement. Pottery Barn is great place to go for centerpiece ideas.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:52AM
katrinaclifford
great room but needs color and pattern
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:54AM
Amy Stanley
I really like the minimalistic look of the room, I think a chandelier and perhaps a vintage piece painted the same green as your place-mat and candles in place of those shelves.

I think you could add blinds to the big window too to keep them all matching.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:58AM
Somers Stained Glass by Tricia Somers
Well I have to say I would do something in the transoms...bringing artwork in them...like leaded glass or something playing off the grid work, a dogwood flower, a cherry blossom...but something to give soft accent of jus a little color, even white flowers for dogwoods would look amazing. The one I have enclosed is fancy, and I wouldn't go that fancy but it gives you an idea. Another way is this second shot with a soft look...Best of luck, beautiful room.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:12AM
jennybeth1967
I just did my living room/dining room over with accents in the bright green. Where did you get those place mats? Love them!
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:38AM
Judy M
I think the room needs 2 things, a chandelier and a color on the walls.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:47AM
Stamps Design Services
Hang draperies using a long pole for each wall, you can let panels sit to the side of the windows or close them, as you want to. The ones posted are simple panels come from Bed, Bath and Beyond in 5-6 different colors... I posted several chandeliers; one has the look of candles, one is antlers (if you like that sort of thing) and the third is a single light, which might look nice in a line of three...
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 12:48PM
Sue Lawson
Green grass outside for starters; then, something 'soft' - maybe airy curtains?
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 12:51PM
gypsyrose17
Plant something outside the windows...roses, bush, potted trees with fairy lights....no need for curtains on those beautiful large windows...or you can place some up lights under the windows behind the plants that will come on softly at dusk...that will eliminate the fishbowl feel at night and be enchanting.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 1:08PM
skicounselor
Your room is dramatic and bold. I love your colors! I agree with most of the comments. If you start by getting a large rug with some of your green color in it, remove the art by the windows (sorry husband) and add a chandelier (I like the drum style if the scale is right), I think you'll be better able to tell what to do with the windows. You've gotten some really good ideas from some talented people.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 1:16PM
Kim Dick
1. If you want color and drama... go for a great rug under the table... you can always pull in the color from that onto your table... 2. Go for a FABULOUS chandelier... invest $$$$ here... it will absolutely make the room... DO NOT put curtains or drapes or anything on the big window it will look hokey and you will tire of the "curtains" Some folks think all windows need "dressing" ... they don't... you want to see the architecture and THAT in itself is a great design feature for the room... Less is more with this space... Go for the chandelier... then maybe a rug if you want to add color... then work on your table... You dont need "stuff" on all the walls... let the windows be the feature... not something to cover up!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:01PM
Kim Dick
PS... The back corner where you have the short plant.... Put a tall Palm style plant there like 7 ft. tall... you need height... the 2 windows will be fabulous for a tall tree/ plant. and add drama. Nothing short in this room.... that is why you are compensating with the long art on the wall.... because you need "height".... Add the tall plant then you can ditch the black art... or just keep one of them.... too many....
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:06PM
maesview
OH my, You all are amazing!! Thank you for all the suggestions. The place mat was a bargain hunt at crate and Barrel. It took 7 months to create this room. We purchase the new dining room set, with the rug and it took forever to decide whether to put blinds up or curtains because the view is breath taking in the evenings but before the sunset the sun hits our faces so had to cover those windows up. I probably will keep the blinds and maybe add curtains later but for now, windows are good. I found wall sconce that at Kirklands and would love to put those up instead of those big arts. The cart at the end will go as soon as I can find a cabinetry or some sort to go in that corner. Right now, we are debating chandeliers lol, always a fun part. Palm trees are not my thing, but I will definitely give it a try. I cannot thank you all enough.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:29PM
Jeanne Mccarthy
Wow . Nothing can come close to that view beautiful.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:50PM
Amara Premier Rug Resource
The rug is too small. In general given the room and space allows it, when you pull the end chairs out they should stay on the rug. Larger rug makes the room look larger and pulls every thing together.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:59AM
Kim Dick
If you don't like palm styles... go for a large Fiddle Leaf Fig or some other type of tree/ plant. It will fill in the corner and those are gorgeous.... my landscape guy got one for our sun room and it is doing very well Low maintenance too... It is an unusual plant not many people have with big leaves!... Seriously... Big fabulous tree in the corner, Chandelier, and more interesting rug.... you are done.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 5:51AM
JMittman Designs
Beautiful, beautiful view you have. But-- the mini blinds detract from look of the room and have chopped up the windows being placed below the transom. I also am not keen on blinds on those windows and not one on the big one. If you need to block the sun, personally, I'd put UV film on the windows and take off the blinds. Add side panels at a later date when you can.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 6:00AM
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I agree with freesiadesignsbykim. Get rid of the blinds, and I'd also take the art from the walls. The windows are great and bring in a lot of lighting. That's one of the biggest assets to the room, and you don't want to cover them up with plastic blinds and crowd them with artwork. The room was clearly designed to show off the windows. A little paint on the walls could go a long way, especially if the white walls feel too washed out to you. I would leave the windows how they are, unless the natural lighting is too much for the room. In that case, go with curtains over mini blinds. A dramatic light fixture would spice up the room as well. Maybe also a new rug, with a little more spunk that the beige one shown. That can be a way to bring in more color and interest without having to add art to the relatively small spaces between the windows.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 6:27AM
Trudy Connor
Continue blinds on the cross piece in the arc of the window. the arch is beautiful and you do not want to hide it. adding a chandelier would be wonderful. Opt for a long low centerpiece with a natural feel pulling the outdoors in. Or add a single large piece of silver to the table.
http://www.trocadero.com/ChicagoSilver/items/544325/item544325store.html
is where I found the photo of the silver bowl

Another idea a brass tureen http://florida-house.ecrater.com/p/8649706/acorn-accents-handcrafted-brass-tureen?keywords=brass

The second photo is of my old dining room, I did not want to hide tha arch.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 6:39AM
brody1313
love the windows......would ditch the blinds and look into uv film covering......the black art is over powering the room, I agree w/Kim's suggestions......use the windows and your wonderful view as your focal point, keep the room simple...add a .fantastic light fixture, consider a geometric style rug w/white background..there are some fantastic black and white rugs out there......have fun using your table center piece as your place to play from season to season, holiday to holiday to bring in color, etc......lucky girl, enjoy your room
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:16AM
ooshi
slipcover or reupholster the chairs to add some color! get rid of the cart in the corner. love the windows and view; I wouldn't add curtains.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:32AM
Faye Nielsen
I would remove the large art and place in another location. It crowds the space. I would do a larger rug with accents of colors you love. Teal, lime, or gray with accents of these colors would look great .A solid panel of any of these colors would look good. If using these colors on the floor and window treatments, keep the chairs white. A rectangular modern light would be nice or 3 small tubular pendants and accessorize the table with maybe a grouping of 3 small cylinder vases with a single tulip or square short vases with green grass. Plz remove the cart in the corner. The room has great bones just needs layering as others have already suggested. Good luck.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 7:03PM
Faye Nielsen
PS a bamboo tree is nice as it is slim at the bottom. If going fake, invest in a good one. There are some incredible fake ones out now, but not cheap. Go to a place that creates them.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 7:06PM
Faye Nielsen
For your dining room rug you must first figure what the smallest rug possible would be and work up from there. To determine the minimum size add 4 ft to the width and length of your dining table. Sometimes a room will not always allow the perfect dimension but this is a good rule of thumb. You will do just fine completing this room. Have fun. Any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 7:59AM
Interiors International, Inc.
I like it.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 8:01AM
grannysmith18
@owwi I'm very intrigued by your suggestions about the spotlights outside the windows. Would you have some pictures you could share? How many and how were they placed? I'm in the middle of extending my den and I will have a demilune transom window over a double window, exactly like the one in by this poster. I've also got black holes in my kitchen at night, and I'm struggling with what to do about them. I love curtainless windows by day.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 9:40AM
condo2012
How luck are you to have that view, I love the look of your dinning room, chandelier and uniformity of window treatment suggestions, seem like a good idea. Whatever you do make the most of that view keeping window treatments minimal.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 11:47AM
Marta St_John_Anders
Living in Arizona, I understand about the need to block the sun at certain times of day. The mini-blinds work for now and later you can use a more expensive solution. I don't care for UV film, myself. The rug is a little bit small, but it simultaneously protects the floor while allowing some of it to be seen. I think you are going to enjoy this room for many years!
    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:22AM
We Got Lites
We love the room! A little bit contemporary, and some coastal inspirations make this space truly transitional. We can surely help you find the perfect chandelier your looking for to complete the space and add an amazing WOW-factor! Chandeliers are usually the focal point of a room, and this will help to get the completed look your going for.

Start getting ideas and inspiration at www.WeGotLites.com and contact us through our website or Houzz if you would like one of our Design Consultants to work one-on-one with you until you find the perfect style!

Thank you.
    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:40AM
oldblackdog
The chandelier (s) -- and de-mimimalize with a spectacular patterned rug ( creating it yourself if the budget is going elsewhere) And I would make the chair covers carry my dominant color.
    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:48AM
mrstinylady
Here's a vision . . .
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 6:53PM
bevballew
Very very nice mrstinylady. That is just simply stunning. And what a cute name you have!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 8:47PM
Siobhán Belsher
I am 4'11" tall so I have a special appreciation for that lovely name. And you did a fine job on that design!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:01PM
mrstinylady
Hey short stuff Irish Girl (love your name as well!) and Miss Bev, thats so much! My long ago elderly neighbors were musing to each other during a move next to them. He said (to his wife), "Come see Mrs. Tiny Lady and hubby with box number 52", etc., and that's how I got the name. They watched us move the entire day through their kitchen window. I really don't think they ever did learn my actual name, but who cares.

Sorry I cut off the drapery bottom up there! DIDN"T EVEN SEE IT unitl now!
    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 7:26AM
Trudy Connor
mrstinylady I love what you did to the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 7:38AM
We Got Lites
We love the look! We were also thinking a tropical-inspired chandelier that is minimal, unique, and textured. We think these two styles would look amazing, and one of them happens to be the Capiz Shell Fixture used in this "vision".

The first style would be on www.WeGotLites.com - Search keyword 109-47
The second style would be on www.WeGotLites.com - Search keyword 529-SA
The third style would be on www.WeGotLites.com - Search keyword 528-SA

Many more styles online, please contact us if you have any questions! Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 10:47AM
mrstinylady
Nice lights!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 11:46AM
bevballew
Gorgeous fixtures! Cute story mrstinylady! I will have to remember when someone refers to me other than my name!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:49PM
mrstinylady
Thanks. Here's a better version of the dining room (the drapes felt left out). I had wanted to put in a table linen at an angle, but can't, so you'll have to imagine that it's there, okay?
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 5:25PM
coratan
I would have also done blinds on the large window as well. I would also add drapes, to enhance the window to make the room more inviting.
    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 5:46PM
freesiadesignsbykim
My comment and vision i made last week on this room is exactly the same as what mrstinylady commented. Kudos to us !!!!!! We have the same style. I love the touch of fresh flowers on the table as my business is fresh floral design. Although I would opt for small low in height floral designs seeing as it is a dining table. You want to be able to see the person sitting across the table from you. I would suggest short square vases in a row down the middle of the table, And a square style chandelier, something interesting that can be a focal point or a conversation piece .The window treatment that I in visioned is exactly the same as mrstinylady !!! I would have the drapes right to floor length.Absolutely no blinds.
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:43AM
remodel260
I would add some color with a fun fabric pendant shade. Room and Board has some beautiful ones, in a couple of sizes.
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:54AM
We Got Lites
We think our Ibiza Design would also compliment this room. Contemporary, clean lines, sparkle, and minimalistic!
http://www.WeGotLites.com

1st Image - Keyword: SKU# 10319
2nd Image - Keyword: SKU# 10308
3rd Image - Keyword: SKU# 10349
4th Image - Keyword: SKU# 13084

What do you think?
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:28AM
freesiadesignsbykim
Love
1 Like    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:31AM
We Got Lites
...Or some simple fabric and textured drum shaded pendants:
http://www.WeGotLites.com

1st Image - Keyword: 21935
2nd Image - Keyword: F2618
3rd Image - Keyword: F2894
4th Image - Keyword: 20007/3

Good luck!
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:31AM
mrstinylady
Man, the lights! LOVE 'em ALL!!!! Great lights. Love that silver bowl up in earlier post and everyone whose chimed in has wonderful comments in their vision/our shared vision, if you will. But PLEASE get a few awesome table cloths in linen and drape off to an angle and layer a few if you wish. Put plenty of nesting plates and stemware on the table. Leave it "dressed" for the simple thrill of seeing it. Have a collection of vases and table decor for each month of the year. Just hoping you might do this cheers my soul to the core (with or without tall flowers or blinds or whatever else). When's dinner?
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 5:24PM
gypsyrose17
Do you have cathedral ceilings? In the one photo is appears that the roof slants up...that would make a difference in the lighting fixture (for me anyway).
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 5:40PM
Margaret B
Anyone notice @maesview has not participated since April 3rd...
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 5:41PM
mrstinylady
Margaret B: She's gotta be out shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:14PM
maesview
mrstinylady, this is exactly what I had in mind for this room. I love all your suggestions, Thank you all so much. Unfortunately I have not been busy shopping, instead softball games and baseball games and school activities and doctor appointments is where I have been. I can go back to decorating our house again, in July and I promise when I do I will post a pic on here. I will also need help decorating an empty room in this house. I hope everyone had a great Mother's day, I spent mine at the ballfield :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 3:36AM
mrstinylady
Miss Mae! Thanks! It's far more important to be a useful and dedicated mom than any decorating can accomplish. But secondly (or thirdly after being a spouse, etc.) is the home . . . so you just can't get away from it except in sports season. So you are off the hook.

When you get done with mom-ing for a split second (like that will happen!), do post the new project so we can saturate our little brains while you are refereeing, baking cupcakes, and snapping scrapbook photos. Weren't you into remodeling the bathroom at one time? Whatever it is, can't wait to dive into it and also see what you accomplish in the dining room. HAVE FUN and Good luck!
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:50AM
Where should I hang my curtain rod?
SHould my curtain rod be hung above or below the transom...
summerandkenny
How should I hang curtains for windows that are different lengths?
These windows are badly needing some curtains....i...
Lesley Kelly
Should I try black curtain ?????
Any suggestion on black panels?
yannick27
Bathroom update...my husband likes the big mirror, and I don't!
We purchased a home built in the 70's. The vanity...
Nancy Blowers
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
Kitchen
Does this company deliver to Northern Ireland in the...
mariesalesac2
Which rug?
Which blue rug should I keep for the family room? I'm...
eyereezy