DECK need privacy plants/fence to withstand nor easter Wind + Deer
islandrain
We had three cedar trees and trellis with creeping hydrangea that gave our deck privacy and shade. All blew down in winter storm in New England. Need help. Image attached is from before storms.
Sharon
A vertical garden.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 4:17AM
islandrain
Thank you! It is a New England gambrel house with the deck and we get very strong nor' easters so that area sometimes gets days of 30-60 mph winds and gusts. Maybe a corner fence with something climbing up it that the deer won't eat ? So windy here at times in the winter but my concern is some privacy and shade in the spring summer and fall months.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 4:50AM
islandrain
oops. I meant New England in US near Boston on coast
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 4:51AM
Many plants complain when they are subjected to cold winds. I would suggest that you implant posts with cables and trail a clematis (which tolerates wind and creates a good barrier). In front or behind try planting some grasse such as panicum virgata or Stipa arundinacea for depth and height. (Not sure what the deer will like though)
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 5:37AM
islandrain
Thank you! Interesting idea. I will look into 'wilt proof' clematis and your other idea.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 6:00AM
Also talk to your local nursery - they are bound to know the tips and tricks of plants in your area (what's the betting they had a whole load more customers after last fall's weather!)
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 6:07AM
apple_pie_order
Gorgeous flowers. I second ASVInteriors advice to consult local nursery. Realistically, some plants will be just fine for 5 or 10 years, then a particular storm will destroy them. Think of it as success for 5 or 10 years, not as a failure.

Metal posts in concrete are much stronger than wood posts in concrete for a fence. In my area, most new fences are built with metal posts now instead of wood posts. It's a change, but it's easy to get used to it, especially after paying to rebuild the older style of wood fences with wood fence posts a couple of times.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:27AM
Mimi Branham
How about bamboo with a trellis behind it facing the decking with a flowering vine?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:29AM
islandrain
Thank you, Mimi, but Bamboo tends to spread and I need it contained. It's about a 10 foot long by 6 foot wide area for planting in front of a fence type structure. I'm concerned that the fence type structure will look too Large but I need something more than a trellis as the trellis' are not sturdy enough in our windy area. Although they did last 6 years! with climbing hydrangea on them and clematis.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:43AM
Just to add for the bamboo - I own about 30 species of bamboo - I must have over 200 in my garden!!! While some bamboos are clumping and others running - they are pretty resilient to some wind but not nor easters and will not put on a show if they don't have a grouping or something against them. Normally I would persuade you as to their advantages but in this case, it is not fair on you nor on the bamboo.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 7:28AM
islandrain
Someone suggested Hemlock to me. Any thoughts on it?
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:11AM
But they are all very low growing (three different species -which one were they referring to) the tallest, is a hemp which grows max 4 feet.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:41AM
islandrain
Good point. I don't know.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:52AM
islandrain
I think she meant a tree but that would not work. It would get too big.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:54AM
This is the only tree I could come across, but certainly would not recommend it for your area http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuga
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:06AM
wolfpackmom
It certainly was a lovely area before the storm. Sorry you lost it. I live on the coast in NC and don't do much with permanent fixtures anymore - here one summer and gone the next. :(
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:24AM
Hiding ugly retaining walls-Help!
Looking for low cost ideas to hide the ugly concrete...
My wood floor disaster!
I had a contractor (that I have since fired) that installed...
Grout color for wood tiles
I have porcelain wood plank floor in a light color....
living room question
I really like the modern look and can't figure out...
master rooom
i want to adjust bed room, bathroom, dressing rooom,...