Please share your ideas for my family room!
muffin9780
April 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We're looking to replace the brick fireplace with a floor to ceiling stone fireplace. It will likely go straight up on the sides for 5-6 feet and then taper in slightly to the top of the vaulted ceiling. We are open to the idea of not going to the ceiling if we can come up with a better design idea. We'd like to put builtins on both sides (base cabinets - 14" deep? to keep from overpowering the fireplace that won't be as deep with bookshelves - 10" deep? on top to 6' high?) I'd like to keep the cabinets and shelves shallow so that they don't look like they overpower the fireplace. I can't think of a way to have them not as deep as the new stone fireplace. Ideas? The windows on either side will be removed with horizontal windows (1' high by 2.5' wide?) replacing them above the bookshelves. I'm not crazy about the look of the TV above the fireplace so we are thinking the TV (probably a 40" flatscreen) will go left or right (ideas?) of the fireplace on top of the base cabinets (mounted on the wall behind it). The slider on the wall to the right of the fireplace will be removed and moved to the kitchen (another project) so that the builtins will fit there. I've attached current photos and mockups of our ideas for the builtins and new fireplace. I would love ideas and suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Judy M
For the built in on the right, how are you going to deal with the slider?
April 3, 2013 at 12:41pm   
muffin9780
The slider is going to be removed and put in our kitchen. Where the slider is currently will become a wall.
April 3, 2013 at 12:45pm   
Judy M
removing 2 windows and the slider, where will light come from? Maybe it would help if you post pics of the other 2 walls.
April 3, 2013 at 12:47pm   
muffin9780
There are 2 windows in the room on the left wall. The wall on the right (where the slider is now) will be taken back to just past where the slider ends now (right side). With the wall down, we will have light that comes from the kitchen (we're putting an 8 ft slider in the kitchen). We're also planning to put 2 windows above the bookshelves (see the drawings). Thoughts?
April 3, 2013 at 12:57pm   
Judy M
There are a lot of photos with stone fireplaces with bulit ins, so if you search the photos you might find a scenario similar to yours.

Lorraine Vale

Furnace Street Riverfront

Ackerly Park ~ New Albany, Ohio
April 3, 2013 at 1:10pm