Need Kitchen Window Treatments (to avoid blazing SoCal afternoon sun)
susandawn
I've put off this window for the last 2 years. I've worn sunglasses in my kitchen while making a meal. I bought cheapo white panels from Target and hung them with tacks. The time has come to purchase grown up shades/blinds/etc.

Whatever kind of treatment I use will potentially get splashed.

Do I install them above the window since an inside mount will take up window view space?

The L shape is making things tricky.

Do I hire a professional to come to my home or measure carefully and go to Lowe's or Home Depot and have them order the goods? (and get a handyman to install them)?

What color? Neutral bamboo or rattan looking ones or pick a print with my kitchen colors? I can't figure this out. Too many options! I have pictures to share--just realized my computer won't cooperate and I can't seem to upload this on my iPhone. Stay tuned for photos.
Fenstermann LLC
I would suggest inside mounted shades, so that your L will not be a problem. I supply these shades here in Orange County, they should work here. I would love to help you with this since I am in your area. Here is our website dedicated to the shades we provide: www.plissee.ca
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 4:00PM
My parents had this same problem, but their windows were next to the dining table which was right next to the entryway. So everytime they sat down to eat someone would come to the door and check out their dinner! I would def go with something inside mount.
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 4:08PM
dianehigdon
Have you considered solar shades for the windows. You can get control of glare and light and still be able to have a view. I suggest a professional vs. box store ( I think there is more knowledge in pro store) and not always more expensive because they steer you in the right way for window treatments that will actually work in your situation. I have a business in Oklahoma and pride myself in helping the customer with their actual needs!
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 6:00PM
Lkristine
I currently have a fabric shade.......not working in the kitchen due to the splash aspect! In my previous home I had bamboo blinds, they could easily be wiped, but they didn't block a lot of light. The ideal may be back lined bamboo, or rattan so there is some beautiful fabric to be seen outside and a beautiful wood element that is user friendly on the inside. If you do inside mount it will block some of the actual window, if you do outside mount, it will allow you to expose the entire window.
   April 3, 2013 at 6:14PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I would not do a honey comb blind in a window like this. Its a great window. Honey combs never made sense to me--you can't see what is going on outside and they look like those paper shades everyone uses when they move into new construction until their window treatments arrive. Solar shades and a skinny sleek valance at top at most.
   April 3, 2013 at 6:18PM
Paula Hastings
Wide, white blinds - easy to wipe down and great for light control. My kitchen window faces west, also.
   April 3, 2013 at 6:21PM
susandawn
I'm not familiar with what solar shades are. Can you get the bamboo type blind in a solar shade option?
   April 3, 2013 at 6:59PM
susandawn
@Lkristine... Thanks for your feedback re: fabric. I have a very talented friend who can sew anything. I was thinking of asking her to whip up Roman shades. Sounds like the water aspect would not work well. What happens to your fabric? Smelly? Discolored?
   April 3, 2013 at 7:01PM
hollybegonia
What about plantation shutters? Easily cleaned and great at managing light.
   April 4, 2013 at 2:57AM
Japanese matchstick blinds look delicate but are pretty hardy. You can see through them, they are quite hardy, cheap to replace and elegant. (I think the example below is a little thicker than the ones I am recommending)

April 4, 2013 at 3:03AM
carolins
I'm a huge fan of Roman blinds (or Roman shades, whatever you call them, depending on where you are), but I'm not sure if the L-shape will make it sort of odd in that corner. (So I searched for 'corner window shades' here on Houzz and apparently it's possible.)

Contemporary Beach Home
Marcelo Brito & Pedro Potaris - Sao Paulo - Brazil
   April 4, 2013 at 3:07AM
carolins
Another option is 'top-down bottom up' shades/blinds: http://www.hunterdouglas.com/product-option.jsp?id=36
   April 4, 2013 at 3:10AM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Susandawn, sounds like you are leaning toward the woven shades...check out Horizon shades online and see the myriad styles and finishes. Inside mount will mean that they will pull up and take up about 6-7" of glass in the top of your window, outside mount means you will have to have them measured professionally (either way) to take into acc the L and the projection as the shades need to abut.
There are a variety of linings that can be added to the shade or left unlined will cut a lot of glare. They will handle the splashes OK too.
   April 4, 2013 at 5:40AM
joyful_lady
I have not read all the comments but my first thought is to ask whether or not you could shade them frm outside, with an attractive awning or other sort of shade. A window covering on the inside is blocking the heat after it enters your home. By blocking the sun when it is high in the summer you block the heat before it enters your home and then in the winter when the sun is lower the sun can still shine in and warm the home. Although in S. California it is not that cold but it was still pretty chilly at the Rose Bowl this January.

That would allow you to have more choice of inside window cover, even light cotton curtains that are easily thrown in the washer.

If you search for "exterior window treatment" on Houzz there are many options.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 9:33AM
Solar shades! I'd also would tint the windows too-just to protect my own skin-and paint, and finishes. http://www.performancefilmstn.com/residential.html
   April 6, 2013 at 9:15PM
Pleotint LLC
If you are still looking for a solution you should consider our suntuitive self tinting windows. Our windows tint from the heat of the sun so they are tinted when you need them to be and clear when you don't! Our windows are some of the most energy efficient windows on the market. They allow you to preserve your view, block harmful UV rays and help reduce excess heat gain. Be careful when considering film applications as they can often void your windows warranty or cause them to crack from the intense heat. You can check us out at www.suntuitive.com
   June 26, 2014 at 8:29AM
Pleotint LLC
In the picture on the right hand side. The three windows to the right are SUNTUITIVE while the windows on the left hand side are not.
   June 26, 2014 at 8:31AM
Mid-tier kitchen cabinet recommendations in SoCal?
Hi, we are remodeling our tiny 1950's house. For budget...
Which white for a 1920's SoCal Mission Revival bungalow?
It's kinda a plain Jane house, but does have historical...
How to design a border garden in Zone 9 SoCal
I want to plant a border garden against this south...
large selection of door levers in SoCal
Hi Everyone, Can anyone recommend some stores in...
Kitchen island addition dilemma
We're adding an island to our kitchen and we can't...
What type of border needed for tiling stairs?
We are planning on taking the wood look porcelain tile...
Awkward casual living room
After moving in a year ago, I now have the opportunity...
where to buy a 48" wide dining table?
hi, looking for a dining table that is 48" to 50" wide,...
To paint or not to paint ....
My husband is a big fan of painted ceilings, but I...