How can I give this room the wow factor, it's large and I'm going for a contemporary feel..
designericon
This is the living room, it has 2 sliding glass doors on each end plus 2 windows.. Is it the color of the walls? Should I paint them white?? Ideas??
aurorasgifts
The best way tomake this more contemporary is to hand a very large piece of modern art, no frame on the wall where you have the mirror now and then take the colors from the painting and get the colors of the pillows
April 3, 2013 at 5:42pm     
I can't quite get the feel of the entire room, but I think you have too many angles going. Try the sectional on the square, either by just straightening it the way it shows in the picture, or with the back to the slider. I like your accent rug, but not there. Layer it on the sisal with the coffee table on part of it, and pull the table away from the sectional. It is way too tight the way it is now. Then pull the Eames style chair onto the sisal. Everything is corners in your room. Replace your mirror with a WOW sunburst round one.

April 3, 2013 at 6:06pm     
I agree with Judy g - too many angles. I also think the mirrors need to be replaced with contemporary art because they are reflecting nothing beautiful or interesting. IMO the coffee table is just way too big - it looks like a barrier to the sofa and not a complement to it. Your nice chair vignette with the hide rug is good, but looks so detached from the sota - no conversation going on there. The mauvy tone of your sofa tempts me to suggest plum and white or cream for your room.charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. Classic Transitional Ideabook: Color Guide: How to Work With Plum
April 3, 2013 at 6:18pm     
anne dee

here's an pic with art on the wall to replace the mirror in yr pic and echoing the comments of aurorasgifts.
April 3, 2013 at 7:04pm     
designericon
Hi here is the other side of the room across from the chair and ottoman, a fireplace I'm not sure what to do with..
Th room it self is 28' long by 18' wide...
April 3, 2013 at 7:15pm   
designericon
Thank you for all your comments, I'm going to try an re arrange the room now!
April 3, 2013 at 7:16pm   
Seeing your FP reinforces me in the plum suggestion. White FP with plum in the recesses and contemporary pieces of sculpture.
April 3, 2013 at 7:38pm     
aurorasgifts
I love the plum and white sugestion from Deco ! This can be really great
April 3, 2013 at 7:41pm     
anne dee

this photo shows a fireplace similar to yours!
April 3, 2013 at 7:53pm     
hollybegonia
You have a great room and some very nice pieces of furniture. I agree with the comments about too many angles (and I love setting furniture on an angle!). But your number-one issue is the lack of a focal point--something dramatic that your eye will immediately be drawn to and that anchors the whole space. Figure that out and the rest is just detail. It could be one fabulous piece of furniture. It could be artwork (remember always to hang things at eye level, not higher). Whatever you choose, make everything else revolve around it. Hope that helps and isn't too vague.
April 4, 2013 at 2:07am     
hollybegonia
I just realized you have a beautiful & unusual fireplace on the other side of the room. There's your focal point! Suggest you highlight this more: I would add a bunch of pillows in bold kilim fabrics on the seating area around the fireplace. Choose a variety of sizes & patterns but in the same color families. Maybe a nice pad on the bench, too. The color & fabric will soften all the hard surfaces, warm the room, make it feel cozier & more inviting, all while drawing the eye to this one great feature. Move the coffee table farther away from the sofa (at least 18 inches on all sides, but maybe even more with your large space). Select a color you like from the pillows and use it in drapes around the windows. Make the curtains wider than the windows to balance out the room propotions. And yes, either add a large piece of art where you now have the mirror or put the mirror in a bigger frame.
April 4, 2013 at 2:28am   
hockey456
Yes, it's the wall color. It comes across very mustard in the photo. White would be nice, with a gray undertone. Having seen the fireplace, and the terra cotta tile I think you have a Santa Fe style room. Consider some Georgia O'Keefe style modern sculpture and prints.
April 4, 2013 at 2:39am     
hockey456
Here's a Georgia O'Keefe print...http://www.artsconnected.org/media/31/89/98dcde4140f5d00017c99d83fe3d/1024/768/4264.jpg
April 4, 2013 at 2:50am   
Judy M
The disconnect is the room has strong Southwest details with Saltillo tile, beams and kiva FP, while the furniture is more modern.

You need a way to connect that.

Browse the photos using "southwest" or "kiva" etc in the search and see if you can find a room with those elements and more modern furniture.

The paint color is reading very yellowish, I think that needs changing.

Sorry, I don't have time to search photos for you, I am leaving for a trip, ironically it's to the desert Southwest.
April 4, 2013 at 3:48am     
skybluelemon
Not white, too boring and you have enough light...you did say you wanted wow factor not safe factor. Walls pale grey silvery tones, introduce some black accents like a nice black console table underneath that mirror , something with a distinctive shape to it, you could add some tall black floor planters in the back right corner with a nice parlour palm or tall yucca. Not sure about the colour of the tiled floor with a grey sofa? Can it be changed painted or covered?
April 4, 2013 at 5:15am   
skybluelemon
I would put a wedge floor in there.
April 4, 2013 at 5:16am   
skybluelemon
Also just read the comments about angles, I love it on the angle, don,t rearrange your furniture. What you have is unique. Not many people have the space to have furniture on an angle and you do so make the most of it. Pull the coffee table out a bit though. Grey and mustard look good together, it's your floor that is the odd one out and quarry tiles are not contemporary enough for you and your sofa.
April 4, 2013 at 5:23am   
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
You also have a lot of odd shaped bare windows that are crying out for fabric. Try unifying them with woven shades and plain ivory linen panels over them. The slider could just have the linen panels. You will find that just the addition of drapes will definitely up the wow factor.
April 4, 2013 at 5:50am   
leelee
I love the terra cotta tiles. Love your large live palm and your hide rug. One thing that you must do is take all pictures and mirrors off the wall. Never hang anything in a line that's even with your windows. You need LARGE art hung low. It might be the sisal rug that's not working in your room. I agree with the plum suggestion but you could also go even darker with a wine or aubergine color. Your fireplace & tile floors strongly suggests a southwest so I'd go in that direction with a modern twist. Swipe art to see the dark wine color at the bottom
April 4, 2013 at 6:31am   
anne dee

Not that you would consider doing this to your fireplace but I thought it would be fun to post!!
April 4, 2013 at 9:30am   
designericon
Nope... I saw that one on Pinterest.. :0)
I made my other room work, see enclosed image...
But this big room is a bit more challenging.
April 4, 2013 at 9:34am     
leelee
That's the look that would really show off your floors. Maybe it's the huge square coffee table that's causing the difficulty. I'd play around with the arrangement. Move everything toward the fireplace. Your room is so big that you may need to form a second seating area??? Don't start painting until you get your furniture the way it should be placed. You may eventually want to paint but for now paint isn't the problem.
April 4, 2013 at 11:36am     
Christine
Those square mirrors do nothing for your space because they fight the large square windows. I like how you have it laid out but I would think along the lines of adding better art and a few more long low tables for under one window with books, etc to break up the long endless feel of the walls. Then maybe add a console table behind the sofa with some lamps. and put the tree behind the sofa elsewhere. It unbalances the room a bit. Good luck.
February 23, 2014 at 6:39am   
Help with guest/craft room/teen hangout
My kids moved into their own bedrooms and now we moved...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
I would like to ask you for an opinion of my paintings
It would be a great honour to invite you to my art....
Furniture placement for long living room
I am ready to start making over our boring living room,...
Ideas for dated kitchen in old cape cod
Hi everyone, Awesome site first of all. My fiancé...