Pantry shelves too deep
montysmum
I have a "step-in" pantry, which has shallow shelves facing the door as you open it, about 6 inches wide (perfect for all those little bottles of spices). However, the large shelves to the left are huge and extend right back where it's dark and difficult to see and reach. I often forget about food that's hiding in the back there! I recently had a pantry moth explosion and had to clean it all out, and couldn't believe the stuff I had which I had forgotten about. I do have some baskets in there, but for large containers they're not practical. Any ideas?
Ironwood Builders
Tear out the offending shelves and rebuild to suit!
April 3, 2013 at 11:55PM   
try not to 'stuff' up the pantry shelving.
April 4, 2013 at 9:28AM   
montysmum
Thanks Dytecture, I've come to that conclusion some time ago. Unfortunately, I love to cook many different cuisines and cannot seem to help myself from stocking all sorts of ingredients in case the fancy might take me to cook Indian, Thai, Italian or Chinese. I'm really trying to keep things in check now and NOT refill the shelves. Cheers
April 4, 2013 at 7:52PM   
pcmom1
I would use that deep area to house infrequently used pots and appliances: the fondue pot, wok, etc.

Or use it for holding extra most definitely non moth food items such as wine rack, mineral water, multiples of canned goods, jars of sauces etc. Just deep organized so you know what is back there.

Also, there are battery operated lights that stick on ceilings, walls that would give you your needed light.

And just to fess up. I have a corner in my kitchen floor cabinets that is only reachable on my knees. I use it to store Christmas decorations for that part of the house!
April 4, 2013 at 8:55PM   
Sharon
Would a couple of lazy Susan's be of any help? Or switching your infrequently used appliances to the pantry and your 'global' supplies where the appliances were?
April 4, 2013 at 10:55PM     
onthefence
How deep are the really deep shelves?
April 4, 2013 at 11:02PM   
rouxb
Lazy Susans and stick up lights
April 5, 2013 at 12:24AM   
OnePlan
Could you have a chalk board with a tally of what's in 'deep storage' on the door ?!?
April 5, 2013 at 12:34AM     
What kitchen style goes with octagon & red dot floor tiles?
We're buying this contemporary house built in the 80s...
Need advice for enhancing a very plain facade
Our house is very plain and boring. We are looking...
need help selecting kitchen faucet
I have a constraint in selecting a faucet in that my...
Lounge sofa problem
I have 2 lounge chairs in my small living room. One...
bathroom vanity
I have a 35 inch cabinet base and need to know what...