Need help with rainbow retro living room / dining room
JuJu Bee
First time home buyer struggling with small space (470 sq ft.). Place has a ton of character with the rainbow staircase and red kitchen, but unsure how to handle the slate floors and open layout. Here are some photos of the space and floor layout, and some ideas I was thinking for the couch. I was thinking two small loveseats in the far corner? (I was thinking red couch or white couch). Recommendations on incorporating a dining area? Rug? Eek! THANK YOU ALL! Love this site!
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 8:28PM
aurorasgifts
What a fun space love it! Go with white sectional and lots of rainbow colored throw pillows, in a small space a sectional will allow you more sitting
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 8:41PM
aniluap2
Love the sofa JuJU showed? Red would look cool but I would keep everything else white, with maybe small pops of colors taken from the rainbow. If you go white then you can use some other colors more liberally.
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 8:42PM
JuJu Bee
Thank you both! I am torn between white and red. Any ideas on how to handle the rug situation - could I do grey for both and semi match the floor?
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 8:45PM
aurorasgifts
I love color but I also like to change thing oround a lot so for me having the colors in throw pillows is better the pic is of my family room
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 8:53PM
JuJu Bee
Awesome! Thanks again :) Where did you get your sectional?
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 8:55PM
aurorasgifts
Well I brought my furniture in from China
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 8:58PM
suzie123
Maybe it is just me but i would not pull the rainbow colors into the room. Let the stairs be a fun unexpected surprise accent instead of matching the accessories to the stairs. That being said, i would cary the red through. I see either a white or red sectional-modern style with pillows in the color you do not use (red on white or vice versa) Maybe a white fluffy rug if that suits your life style. i would take the curtain to the kitchen down. I personally prefer something with texture and an organic feel so somewhere bring in a wood or rattan or natural colors. I would not do a gray rug on a gray floor. Maybe a deep light blue with a red and white room?
4 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 9:05PM
JuJu Bee
Suzie, you are so helpful, appreciate it greatly!
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 9:07PM
Welcome Home designs
I agree that your rainbow staircase should not be tied into the rest of your decor - let it be the conversation piece that every home needs. I would make red your accent colour however and suggest a grey sofa - you can add whatever colour cushions you want.
Check out the attached photo for inspiration.

1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 9:39PM
orangecamera
I adore that rainbow staircase! The one color that's missing is violet/purple. It might be interesting to use purple somewhere in the room - maybe pillows or drapes or something. It will be a very subtle way to complete the rainbow.
2 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 9:45PM
Holly Anderson Fine Art
great space! how unique, i love it! I agree with keeping everything white for the most part. I just went to a design meeting at the FLOR store, that might be a great outlet for you to solve the rug problem, here's their website: http://www.flor.com/?rcode=PPCFLO000PSP&gclid=CLHzkrKxsLYCFQTznAodHSMATw
1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 11:29PM
I would love to see you continue with the fun element and do something like this. Particularly the wall feature picking out the colours of the stairs.
For sofas I think you can really only put one in and then two small slipper chairs otherwise it will crowd out.

1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 11:37PM
JuJu Bee
OK - I am off and sofa and rug hunting! Appreciate all the advice, you guys rock! Do you have any thoughts on how to best layout the space? I am a complete newb. Here are some diff layouts for the main couch (chairs could be added in). Red box = couch, grey box = TV placement. I just did it crudely in paint so you could get an idea of what I mean. THANK YOU!
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 7:18AM
orangecamera
My first thought, without over-thinking it, is the 2nd L-shaped configuration. It lets you view the staircase and the tv at the same time. But I'm thinking a sofa or love seat on one wall and a chair or 2 on the other wall will give you the most flexibility (rather than an L-shaped sofa).

Post pics of what you find today!
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 7:25AM
MOD Restoration
love the space, it does have a lot of character! I think a red sectional might be too much red, and could make it difficult to bring in other colors that aren't red without creating a circus-like atmosphere. I like the idea of throws to bring in the colors, perhaps several different colorful patterns. Would love to see some dark blue/indigo to add a bit more depth.
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 9:23AM
Granite Grannies
No ideas but I just wanted to say I LOVE THAT STAIRCASE! How could that fail to cheer you up after a long day?
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 9:31AM
need advice on using retro dining area chandelier in living room
1970 chrome eight arm chandelier that I want to put...
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
Need help to finish off my retro themed living area
Hi there - I need advice on how to finish off my retro...
Need help for living room dining room one room paint color
Living room dining room Would like to do all white....
Looking for tempered glass wall hood with 4 lights
Have only seen glass hoods with smoked glass and 2...
To silver?
I just reupholstered my accent chair in silver Do...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...
Our kitchen in new condo
Kitchen has blonde flooring,blonde cabinets, do gray...
Feed back on area rug
Does this rug work with my colors?