need help with kitchen design
mesand
We are building a new home and need help with the kitchen. Have "subtly natural " ceilings (9ft) and crown moulding everywhere. Kitchen cabinets will be off white and island and hutch will be darker brown. color of cabinets is not the same as color of moulding. We wanted staggered heights and depths of cabinets. 3 cabinets were to be ceiling height - cabinetry over stove top, fridge and valance over sink. How do we do that with the crown moulding there? Can you cut out that crown moulding and insert cabinets with the cabinet moulding on top??? Any help grately appreciated. gotta luv this site!
Ironwood Builders
With cabinets running to the ceiling it is best to keep the crown moulding consistent and run the same moulding onto the cabinets. If this is not possible due to paint or profile restrictions, the cabinet crown must be subordinate (smaller) than the crown in the rest of the room. Fitting the two profiles together is a she bear.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 9:16AM
mesand
Thanks Ironwood. Running same mouldings thru is not possible...... #1 ceiling crown made of paper clad styrofoam #2 wrong profile. If one slightly lowers those cabinet sections, how far is correct distance from ceiling crowns? I had wanted valance over sink area to be ceiling height as well, wouldn't that look wrong?
Thanks so much for your time :)
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 10:56AM
mesand
Ironwood, have attached a layout of cabinetry. Hope it works, new at this!!! Mega thanks
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 11:09AM
Ironwood Builders
No layout came through! Try again? Never heard of paper clad Styrofoam trim...how the heck do you cope cut the inside corners? The valance won't happen unless the crown either wraps around it or stops on it. Drop the cabinet crown so it lands at least an inch from the ceiling crown...but that leaves a weird shadow space fit for nothing. Better off doing what I suggested at first....carving the cabinet crown to land into the ceiling crown. She bear with cubs.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 8:45PM
mesand
Ironwood, tried again with image. Ceiling crown is "Novacrown 90 mldg, came in 12' lengths. Plasterer prepainted ceilings, glued on moulding and then painted moulding and ceiling. Looks stunning,. We were considering getting wood crown with matching profile for the ceiling ht cabinets. Think it will be difficult to cut the styro crown up there as we cut it with table saw, made an excellent, clean cut. Do you have any tips for us to carve the 2 crowns tog? Thanks again for your time and expertise.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 5:19AM
Ironwood Builders
Only advice I can give on scribing two different crowns together is for the cabinet crown to be smaller than the wall/ceiling crown. First, slice out the foam crown where the cabinet will run into it. Then set the cabinet to the ceiling (or almost). Holding a piece of cabinet crown against the cabinet and ceiling (make sure it is about a foot too long) try to pencil in the profile of the foam crown. Carve to your mark....do it again...and again until you are satisfied with the joint. Tape it up in place. Do the same thing with any other cabinets until you have all the cabinet crown complete. Mark the outside corner on the crown pieces and measure out the front pieces. Cut all the crown angles (don't forget to cut crown upside down and backwards). Nail it up!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 12:15AM
mesand
Thanks ironwood. Another question: in staggering heights, what is correct distances from ceilings for 3 different cabinet heights, one being the ceiling ht, in a 9 ft ceiling? I apologize for not being able to post sketch, Thanks, have a great Sunday.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:18AM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
When staggering cabinets the different heights combined with the different depths allows the crown molding to terminate at the adjacent cabinet side.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 5:31AM
Ironwood Builders
Thanks Norm!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 11:05AM
Riddle Construction and Design
I suggest you seek out a professional kitchen designer to help you with this instead of trying to figure it out yourself. Staggering cabinets in height and depth can be very tricky and needs a professional to see all the points of integration prior to ordering your cabinets and trim. NKBA has a great website for pro kitchen designers.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 11:13AM
Cozy Casita
Lots of kitchen and bath pros on the Houzz website, too !
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 2:22PM
Ivy Levinson
I need help with Kitchen design...5 different designers and nothing
Its a unique shape kitchen that opens to a family room....
aheimbach
Help!!! new to design need Interior Designer for kitchen renovation
Have galley kitchen no idea of my style overwhelmed...
safada
Need help with kitchen design - too little counter space? How much do I need?
We are building a house and I'm not sure the kitchen...
erinlw18
Which kind of hood to get
Which kind of exhaust hood do you think would look...
alexap
My girls room. Where to start!
This room is 11x15 feet. I have two girls aged 4 and...
dalirn
Need to fit five kids in this room
Need to fit five kids in this room. Two 13yrs olds...
happycl8
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Window treatments
I would like to change or update the window treatments....
eflambert