Internal painting - a metaphor of moving on
consumerdriven
My ex was delightfully quirky, painting each room a different color with some walls in some rooms a cacophony of paint effects. These were done years ago, so the need for renewal is the twofolded classic - it's dated, and it's time for me to move on. I have a friend helping me and she is suggesting the same color throughout most of the first level -same color for den entry way hallway and living room. Will post pictures later, but I have no vision and wonder if this consistency of color is boring or a foul of some sort or a good idea. I like the color. Can you please share your thoughts?
Above all this Is now YOUR space. Close your eyes. What colours do you want to see? Do you like neutrals, do you like some colour? Create some idea books on houzz to get your idea going and find out what you like. Then we can help you define if you need one colour throughout. Or some accents. All the best
April 4, 2013 at 6:39am   
patriciarhall
an ineresting way to use the same color is to incorporate three of the shades of the color that is on the sample paint strip. The variation of shade is subtle, but a plesant way to have a bit of variety with color that flows throughout. Maybe the darkest shade in the entry, the next shade in the living room and the next in the den. Nice friend!
April 4, 2013 at 6:54am   
nasmijati
I would put a coat of white primer on all the walls before painting (use gray primer if the walls are pink, purple, or red) so the colors of the artful walls do not show through whatever color you choose for wall paint.
I think I might get all the walls painted with white primer (paint over the gray primer with a coat of white primer, too).
Live with this "blank page" for a week or so. Move your belongings around in different combinations. "Play" with the furnishings and decor in different combinations. Think about moving furniture from one room to another, if it will meet your current needs better (do this on graph paper 1/4 inch = 1 foot, or use a computer program).
You might find that a room that had been primarily yellow now "wants" to be shades of blue, based on the furnishings and decor that have migrated to that room during your "play" week (or longer, if necessary).
April 4, 2013 at 7:06am   
consumerdriven
Here is a color pallet I like. From Serena and Lily spring 2013 catalog. The den is now painted in the light grey color. Upper right of pallet. She is suggesting it throughout first level. Including large living room. I appreciate the process you suggested, but the only thing I can see when I close my eyes is a carne asada burrito and a Negra Modelo beer.
April 4, 2013 at 7:14am     
nasmijati
A pale gray can be a perfect neutral background for displaying art! Think about how many art museums use a pale gray background.
Group your framed art, textiles to hang on the walls, and other decor by any method that suits your taste (ex: by color, theme, emotion...) and try them on your new walls!
April 4, 2013 at 7:24am   
Linda
Eztia has a good suggestion with putting on the primer before deciding on your finish color. Sometimes existing colors make it difficult to envision what the space will look like after you have finished.

If you like the color your friend has suggested, why not go ahead and get primer tinted to that color and use that to cover your existing surfaces. That will give you an opportunity to preview the color and you may be able to get away with one finish coat, if the primer covers well.
April 4, 2013 at 7:25am   
consumerdriven
Ezita, so you agree with the one color idea? And use artwork etc. to make the distinctions?
April 4, 2013 at 7:26am   
consumerdriven
Hmmmmm. Primer..... Reminds me of something I read on bathroom wall once.... "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."
April 4, 2013 at 7:31am   
nasmijati
I have always rented a living space, and the walls have always been semi-gloss Rainier White. I must make my art, window coverings and furnishings carry the theme for the decor.

You are in an enviable position. You could choose a single color to make the lower level cohesive from room to room and have the artwork define the "feel" or "vibe" of each individual space. (What comes to my mind is landscaping, when people make "garden rooms." The background for a garden room is almost always green, unless there is a wall, fence, or hardscape to provide a different texture and color.)

I think I might use a variation of each color of gray in each space, either one shade lighter or darker on the paint chip, so the transition of the background paint is not jarring. Then, because you like color, you could have Paul Gauguin in one room, Henri Matisse in the hallway, Georgia O'Keefe in the entryway, Wassily Kandinsky and Kim Strauss in the living room, and Salvador Dali in the family room/den!

What are your thoughts?
April 4, 2013 at 8:06am     
0825sam
I like the idea of the same color throughout most of the downstairs as your friend is suggesting. A room I do like to set apart in a complementary color is a formal dining room if you have one.
April 4, 2013 at 8:11am   
consumerdriven
Thank you all. Going with same color, but a shade lighter on the stick than the den. Different color for the dining room. So excited. Much thanks to everyone. Here are some before pictures. Yes, my living room is an office slash treadmill desk room....last photo..grey in the back room is the new color to replace the earthy basil avocado paint treated cacophony.
April 5, 2013 at 8:53am   
Need to check CNC art work at wood for interior modern style
Please need your advice with attached photoes for cnc...
Which parquet color for rosewood furniture
Most of my furniture are rosewood, they have a really...
What does luxury mean to you?
The beauty of Houzz is that you can get inspiration...
I want to know review regarding camel bone furniture for home.
Can I use camel bone sofa set & dining table for home?...
Advice on Waterfall Taps
In the past 6 months or so, we have had numerous customers...