What countertop with this backsplash?
M L
I've fallen in love with this backsplash tile, but am having a hard time deciding on countertop. I love the look of quartz/granite, but am having a hard time with the "busyness" of it matched with the backsplash. Cabinets will probably be Kraftmaid cherry kaffe. Thanks!
Granite Grannies
A leathered granite (with texture and matte finish) would be a beautiful compliment to this tile. You can see that the stone around window and stove in this kitchen are similar colors to your tile: Leathered Antique Brown Granite and River Valley Granite in Vienna, VA 1 Leathered Antique Brown Granite and River Valley Granite in Vienna, VA 2

And here's a lighter leathered Kashmir Gold Granite: Project: Log Cabin with Leathered Kashmir Gold Granite

The floor colors in this kitchen are similar to that tile and go really well with this Taupe White Granite: Taupe White Granite in an historic kitchen

A Typhoon Bordeaux might pull out some of those reddish color in the tile, and has lots of linear motion, which prevents the room from feeling "busy" like a small pattern would.
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 9:25AM
Granite Grannies
I couldn't find a picture of a honed (matte finish less texture than leathered) Costa Esmerelda, but either the polished or honed version of this granite would be lovely with that tile:
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 9:29AM
M L
Thank you! I really like that Kashmir Gold.
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 9:35AM
Nancy Walton
Yes, I agree the Kashmir Gold would be nice. When you have a dark cabinet and dark backsplash, a light countertop is nice, otherwise you end up working in a very dark kitchen and need more artificial light.
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 9:42AM
M L
This was our initial pick to go with the cabinets, before we had the backsplash tile in hand. Not sure I love this together, hence my question.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 10:22AM
Jaci
I love butcherblock counters with stone-like backsplatches. I did this in my country cottage.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 11:00AM
leelee
I love the tiles you've chosen for a backsplash. I think SOAPSTONE would be fabulous for your countertops. It has a softer sheen than granite or quartz and it's not as busy so that your backsplash will not be too much. Soapstone comes in hues of gray, charcoal and brown. I tend to think of cherry cabinets as having a dressier, more formal feel and the tiles you've chosen seem almost casual. That may or may not give you something to consider.
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 11:24AM
linlac
I love the tile. Your thought is spot on about the tile being busy. I would look for a countertop that is a solid or extremely close to solid. I have two renovated kitchens in my house one with granite and one with a solid surface. The solid surface is a chocolate brown paired with a very busy glass mosaic tile. I love it, but a lot of people won't use it because of resale and everyone wanting granite. The solid surface can be gorgeous with different profiles on the front, two toned, drain slots etc. I think the gray-bluish tones in the tile would be a great look for the countertops. Make sure you pick what you love.
2 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 3:17PM
Soapstone, slate, or dark honed granite with very little or no pattern to it.
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 3:30PM
linlac
Just reading what leelee said about cherry being elegant. I didn't think about that but she has a point. Cherry cabinets are usually used for a more elegant look. That tile is extremely rustic and usually used with a distressed white, black, or more of a country type wood. Have you made sure the tile matches the look and has the color tones of the cabinets?
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 4:14PM
M L
Yes. We have a sample door in our finish and it looks beautiful with the tile. How is soapstone as far as durability, etc?
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 4:54PM
Soapstone is totally durable, but needs more maintenance than granite or quartz or many other countertop materials. We love our soapstone, but if you want it to have an even finish you need to oil or wax it periodically, especially in the first few months. But it is impervious to heat and chemicals, and scratches disappear into the patina once oiled. And at any point (10, 20, 30 years later) you can sand and oil it back to looking like it was just installed. But even after four years, we wax ours (a ten minute job) approximately every 4-6 months, so the maintenance is more than many people want.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 5:10PM
K B
I think you have several quartz and granite options that aren't busy at all. For instance, a grey quartz would look great with the rest of your finishes. First pic is Caeserstone Raven. You could also do a black quartz. Second pic is by Cambria. Third pic is a granite Toasted Island. The last pic is a granite with more movement but still not too busy for your backsplash IMHO.
Beaverton Kitchen
Classy Kitchen!
M.J. Whelan Construction
La Costa
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 5:17PM
Ironwood Builders
The slate backsplash goes GREAT with cherry! I like the Antique Brown leathered look with the slate (just finished a job with that combo).
1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 7:50PM
Meredith Harp
My granite countertop instructions said no ammonia, bleach, vinegar, lemon; wipe up spills promptly; don't stand or sit on it. I will NEVER get another granite counter because my kitchen is for food, not just a show piece. Quartz is beautiful, has predictable colors and patterns, and doesn't have to be babied.

Your beautiful backsplash has just about every color. The experts I consulted gave some practical advice: dark colors show water spots and debris (flour, cookie crumbs) more than light colors; surfaces with some pattern are easier to keep looking nice than solid-colored surfaces. You can pull out one or more of your backsplash colors and run with that. The only problem MIGHT be to avoid an overly busy or competing set of patterns.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 7:51PM
npapazian
Honed black granite. I've also heard of using the other side of granite... the unpolished part. Also, concrete or caesar stone made to look like concrete.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 7:53PM
Ironwood Builders
Hmmm...no bleach, ammonia (I always use them at he same time, such a wonderful pungency) or vinegar...I've used all of the above at one time or another on just about any stone except marble.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 8:13PM
Nancy Walton
If you use bleach and ammonia at the same time it creates a toxic gas which could kill you! I forget the chemical name for the compound, but just ask a chemist or even your pharmacist if you don't believe me...
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 9:23PM
Ironwood Builders
It's called mustard gas and is extremely toxic. Used in WWI to kill mass amounts of troops on both sides in the trenches...I was joking and hope everyone knows this common household "bomb".
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 9:32PM
leelee
I have black granite counters and I actually like the fact that it shows spills, crumbs, etc. It's the kitchen and I want it clean so I want to see where the messes are. I make a cleaning solution that is kept on the counter in a reused RH spray bottle along with the hand soap. I use 1/3 bottle of alcohol, a couple of squirts of organic dishwashing liquid and the rest water. It cuts grease but dries quickly and without streaking. The finish is perfect after 13 years of use and abuse. Never had it re-sealed.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 5:36AM
linlac
Granite grannies could probably address this better than me but when they say no ammonia, bleach, etc. they mean for cleaning purposes. You wouldn't use those products on stainless steel or hardwood floors. I have had my granite for five years plus and it is still as beautiful as the day it was installed. I haven't had to reseal it as of yet. I put hot pans all over it, serve buffets on it, my grandchildren have climbed on it, spilled all kinds of food on it. It is the best material I have ever owned for a countertop.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 6:30AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Use of bleach or chemicals on granite will ultimately ruin the finish. You can get by with it a couple of times, but prolonged use will cause serious issues.

We like to use black granite with the slate tiles - have used Absolute Black and also a stone called Spice Black.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 6:40AM
Granite Transformations
I really like the backsplash that you've chosen. Natural slate looks great installed, it wears well too. I think matching it with a granite countertop would be a good idea. I think our Grigio Dolomite would look great with the backsplash you've chosen, you can see it here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/#!prettyPhoto[col_gall]/2/

Good luck with your decision, hope this helps!
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 7:59AM
nanlu
Cambria quartz - Durham (dark grey) or Blackwood ( Black with tan and blue - grey flecks). I have a picture frame over the range in a similar mosaic with cherrywood cabinets that are lighter in shade. I chose the Blackwood. My cherry cabinets are not formal. Ultracraft Breckenridge, recessed panel with an edge slightly more detailed than Shaker. I will try to post photos when I can solve the problem I've been having with my laptop.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 8:22AM
leelee
I picked this tile for my shower. The tiny ones for the shower floor and the 12 x 12 for the floor and walls. They ended up looking blue especially in the large tiles. They were already installed before I noticed! Just a warning. Those tiles come in several different hues. I wish I had known and paid closer attention.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 8:24AM
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Removing the wall of staircase
We are remodeling a new we just bought and in order...
Home shopping for Black Friday?
The biggest shopping day of the year is coming and...
Help with a reading nook
Want to make a reading nook out of the blue patterned...
**Dining area Dilemma**
Two birds, one stone hopefully. First, lots of empty...