Need help with accessorizing this side board
lynnbw
I have never known exactly how to accessorize this piece. Should I replace the arrangement with something else? Are the prints hanging above it too much? Any ideas would be appreciated.
How would the granite top look if you remove the mirror section? What is its purpose? It needs one. Perhaps as a bar (pic #3) or serving spot. I see it looking better with a different mirror. Scenic Drive Project Living Room French Traditional - Roscoe Village Buckhead Historic Home
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 11:30AM
Welcome Home designs
You have such a lovely piece - don't hide it! I would suggest trying to make it a useful part of your dining room/ kitchen- add plates,serving utensils etc.
Or make it a conversation piece and add some interesting antiques/accessories.
See the attached photo for inspiration.

1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 11:19PM
What a beautiful piece. I think the prints above are just right. My only suggestion is to remove the floral and put accessories that you can use. In my case it would be a wine bar with glasses.. :) For you? Tea service? Flowers and a decanter?
3 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 11:32PM
I am following with Darzy (especially the wine bar) but also I am thinking that is a dark space (mirror helps) but perhaps you might want to consider adding a table light in the evening?
This idea?

1 Like   April 4, 2013 at 11:58PM
carolins
3 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 12:13AM
Patricia Pelgrims
The flower arrangement is too big. It is a fantastic piece of furniture and shouldn't be competing with overly large items on it.
I always dress my antiques sparingly with a group of candles or a lamp and a vase of fresh flowers. Nothing more.
IMO even the pictures above take away from this cabinet, so I would find another place for them.
I use my antique dressers for dinner sets, glasses, table linen, or the ones upstairs for bedlinen.
2 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 12:18AM
carolins
You can also fill a small vase/votive candle holder with flowers (cut them really short) and combine that with three different height silver/silverplate/(mercury)glass, or a combination of those, candle holders with big fat white candles on them: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/clear-glass-square-base-pillar-holders/?pkey=ccandle-holder

Try to keep it simple, but interesting.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 1:24AM
lynnbw
Thanks for the great suggestions. I should have mentioned that this piece is not in a dining room. It is in the family room. So that may lend itself to some different ideas. I will play around with it this afternoon and post some more pictures.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 4:43AM
blrussell
Think the pictures are not right. I might try to hang two vertically on the left. And then center one on the right. Pretty piece but the flowers need to go.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 4:59AM
Constance Henson
I believe the pictures and flower arrangement should be used elsewhere. I also agree with posters who noted that the glass in the mirror should reflect light and sparkle, either through using candlesticks (crystal?), or possibly a tall candlestick buffet lamp. If there's enough floorspace to the left, maybe get a nice potted palm in a beautiful planter sitting on carved black stand.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 5:07AM
janishill
I agree with Darzy and ASV, but would hang the pictures differently. The curve of the mirror frame draws your attention (as it should), but the pictures hung the way they are compete with the frame rather than complimenting. Lower the center one about an inch then hang the other two even with it. I think this will make a huge difference.

I also wonder if that wall could be painted an accent color? A color that would contrast with the oak rather than almost blending in with it.

Please post updates. :-)
1 Like   April 5, 2013 at 5:32AM
lynnbw
Made a few changes. Pictures any better? Still looking for lamp.
7 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 11:37AM
carolins
Definitely an improvement. Very nice!
1 Like   April 5, 2013 at 11:49AM
leelee
That's much better. I like the glass of the decanters reflected in the mirror. Good job! I like your prints but would it look better without them? Definitely use them elsewhere. Try and post?
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 12:09PM
janishill
Much better. Add a vase of flowers along with the lamp and you will have a winner!
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 12:20PM
kovar
You have a beautiful piece of furniture. First you need to ask yourself, How are do I want to use this piece? As a display for misc. items, such as ivory candles, books, antique water pitcher, clocks, wine bottles and family photos, or a display for things that can be used at an event and put back after the event . Example: If you enjoy wine, then you can display three bottles of wine then two wine glasses some type of flowers or green plant for color wine book, lets say that you enjoy flowers, then put some flowers ,candles, flower books, How about a breakfast nook display, cloth napkins (rolling them up and adding a ring around them), silver tray with with antique coffee cups. Do enjoy traveling, how about items from your trips. It's endless.

If you like your flower photos above maybe you should try putting them in antique frames. You can also pull the colors from the flower photos and the rug that's on the floor in front of the dresser. Try adding some fabric to give it a softer feel. Good Luck!
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 12:56PM
Keitha
Here are a few other alternatives.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 3:32PM
leelee
Here are a couple of buffet lamps. I'm not sure if they work? The shade on the porcelain seems too large for a buffet lamp.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 3:59PM
n247080
I love the lamp on the right. Where can one purchase it? And....I LOVE your side board. It's wonderful! I would go with the lamp on the right.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 4:07PM
leelee
It's under buffet lamps on LampsPlus.
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 4:09PM
lynnbw
Great ideas! Will post pictures when I find a lamp. This is not in a dining room so can't use it as a serving piece.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 5:52AM
leelee
What do you think about reframing your prints in thin gold-rubbed frames. It might be that these frames are too heavy for the delicate prints.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:42AM
kovar
The lamp on right is great! However, you may not want to hide any of the wood carving, also the darkness of the lamp might blend in to much with the wood, so you don't see the art work in the lamp stand. If you really like the lamp, you can always buy two different sizes of the lamp bring them home and try them out. Also, try putting candles (3 different sizes). Play around with them and see which one feels right. Good Luck!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:26AM
lynnbw
Like the idea of reframing prints and will play around with some candles. Are you thinking candles may be better than a lamp? Or use both?
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 11:52AM
kovar
Kind of. You can go with both. Do you like wide candles or candle stick? I know that Tiffany lamps are not cheap, however, I'm just trying to show you how the lamp shade has color. Here are some photo ideas. The next set are the lamps
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 2:11PM
kovar
Here come the lamps. Good luck!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 2:12PM
leelee
Candles are mainly decorative but a lamp, while decorative, will provide light. Either will look nice on your buffet but candles might need to be grouped and a lamp is stand-alone so less busy since you've already added the decanters.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 2:21PM
Wow! Turn of the Century Oak. When we were first married that's what I looked for to furnish my house. No one wanted it, then. A side board like yours, a round oak pedestal table, pressed back chairs and lot of Flo Blue china. If I remember correctly, the mirrored part was there to reflect candlelight into the dining room which only had one electric plug in the middle of the floor.

No need to reinvent the wheel…how about loading up with candles of different heights. If you are concerned about a real flame, use the battery ones with a wax finish.

I could find only one pix for this style, but it still looks pretty great to me.

1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 2:25PM
Need Help finding this Mirrored Buffett/Side Board
Can anyone help me locate the mirrored side board in...
lapena99
Need help with pics of side-board/bookcase for family room.
I am thinking of having some custom built-ins made...
grammsplace
Need help to accessorize and help to choose curtain
Need help to choose curtains color,design, and material...
nizm
Need help accessorizing a clean but dated bathroom.
We just bought a house and won't have the budget to...
crowand
Need help to accessorize my living and enterence tables
Need help for curtain design,color and material and...
nizm
Need help with family room area rug. have green plaid sofa & brn chair
we want an area rug. We have a green plaid sofa. ...
momkids
Need help for my kitchen...almond melamine and honey oak cupboards!
Hello, So I am finally getting around to doing something...
spitfirevc
I have a niche in the entry of my new mid century house...
It's approx 2 ft wide and 4 ft tall. Currently have...
lattebugg
Need help for fire place wall in 1950 house
New insert messed up total look of wall as needed to...
moonraven
Flooring Advice Needed
We have gunstock oak hardwood in our foyer and entrance...
Angie Temple