Please help with my FP !
aurorasgifts
Indont reallynknow what or how to place things on the bottom? Or if I should just leave it ?
Keitha
Beautiful fireplace. The things that I would suggest are to paint the white light switch to the right of the fireplace so that it doesn't stand out against the dark wall. Then replace your existing artwork over the mantel with a colorful piece or a mirror. I suggest replacing the accessories on each side of the mantel with something that contrasts from the dark wall. I like keeping the hearth clutter free!
April 4, 2013 at 11:41am     
aurorasgifts
Keitha in the dilemas a show a pic with a mirror what do you think?
April 4, 2013 at 11:43am   
aurorasgifts
The thing is I have collected this art for years cant make myself just buy a peice for the color , but I can see what you mean about the color but le me show you the other side of the room so you can get can see all the colors
April 4, 2013 at 11:46am     
aurorasgifts
Other side of LR
April 4, 2013 at 11:47am   
aurorasgifts
I will be paintng that switch! Thanks
April 4, 2013 at 11:49am     
aurorasgifts
This the mirror just think shape is wrong
April 4, 2013 at 11:55am   
Hi there - I responded on your other post
April 4, 2013 at 12:07pm   
Shoman interiors LLC.
The grey curtains are not going well against the dark blue wall. Can you change the blue color wall, can you tone it down? Because of strong blue color, the mantel became dull. The whole atmosphere of this room feels so old and antique.. is that what you wanted to create? Just because you have blue tiles on the fireplace, it doesn't mean you have to paint the wall of that color. When you are designing a room, think about the big volume like wall, sofas should be neutral then you can accessorize the room with bold colors. you need to pop out the small amount of the bold color here and there. Then it will be pleasing for the eye.
April 4, 2013 at 12:11pm     
aurorasgifts
The tiles arent blue they are irrodesant
April 4, 2013 at 12:19pm   
aurorasgifts
When not hit by the light the tiles are diff colors
April 4, 2013 at 12:20pm   
Project Guru
Your look is so glam in the rest of the room: have you considered painting the fireplace surround Warm SIlver by Benjamin Moore: your tile detail would totally pop against the burnished metallic texture and fit the rest of your decor.
April 4, 2013 at 12:21pm     
aurorasgifts
Thanks Guru that sounds really interesting . ASV yes thanks for your advise I will be looking for somthing tall to place on both sides
April 4, 2013 at 12:23pm   
aurorasgifts
Glam look is what Im going for in this room
April 4, 2013 at 12:24pm   
aurorasgifts
Guru do you think that i should try matching the curtain color on that wall since there is so little of the wall exposed? I think that the teal on both sides of the FP is making it busy?
April 4, 2013 at 12:26pm   
Project Guru
I would consider making the panels less full- maybe splitting each in 2, ensuring your rods are set to allow the panels to frame as much exposed glass as possible. You could also add fabric medium to you paint and stencil a large pattern on the entire panel or just a vertical border to bring it all together.
April 4, 2013 at 2:57pm   
Keitha
I do love the artwork that you have collected. Maybe you can group a collection of it on another wall in the room. I think that would look fantastic and become very impactful as a group. The fireplace does need some contrast either with artwork that introduces a little color or with a great mirror
April 4, 2013 at 3:30pm   
DIAspoton
the mirror fights the FP surround. the hibel is too small there. do you have other art that might be better there? something you could switch from another room?
your furniture is pretty as are the blue walls except around the FP. the blue wall, the brown, the gray drapes all overpower rather than flatter the FP. is the brown painted sheetrock or stained wood? pic is a bit fuzzy.
the FP wall may work in a pale silvery gray.
the hearth doesn't need adornment.
April 4, 2013 at 3:42pm   
Water Feature Supply LLC
We really like your FP, it looks great and definitely shows your design capabilities. We specialize in indoor wall fountains and water features that are designed to be easily installed in any location. We have several different styles and materials to choose from, for your current project we recommend you browse our hand painted wall fountains. You can view these by clicking the following link. https://www.waterfeaturesupply.com/waterwalls/fountains-acrylic-hand-painted.html
April 4, 2013 at 3:59pm     
aurorasgifts
Guru I am going to try making the panels smaller, they are hiding too small windows that are not centered so a little hard to work with.
April 4, 2013 at 5:16pm   
aurorasgifts
Keitha I will try to place another art piece and a diferent shaped mirror I love the ones you posted .
April 4, 2013 at 5:17pm     
aurorasgifts
Dia I will try different art agree this Hibel is small. I am painting the wall dark silver to match window treatment, the brown that you see is a wood veneer, at first i was going to do the entire wall in the wood veneer
April 4, 2013 at 5:23pm   
aurorasgifts
I will be posting pics , thanks everone
April 4, 2013 at 5:24pm     
Lkristine
If you could glaze over the wood on the fireplace it would really allow your beautiful tile to stand out. Tan/gold color curtains would look great with your wall colors and balance everything. If you want the tile to stand out even more you could surround it and paint the mantel and a surround an off white color. Then an awesome mirror above! http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/prelude-pinch-pleat-curtain-panel/prod.jump?ppId=16a82ab&Nao=24&pN=2&searchTerm=gold+curtain+panels&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults http://www.wayfair.com/Majestic-Mirror-Contemporary-Round-Bevel-Wall-Mirror-1427-B-1428-B-MMR1121.html?piid=9497601
April 4, 2013 at 5:26pm     
DIAspoton
silver on the veneer is an excellent choice. look forward to seeing it finished.
April 4, 2013 at 5:59pm   
Project Guru
Good luck aurorasgifts: you did such a good job with the windows I never suspected the problem. You may be able to get a more sleek drape from you panels by converting them to an inverted pleat header http://www.ehow.com/how_6798351_make-inverted-pleated-drapes.html
this allows you to set a given width for each panel: you can then hopefully correct the window issue deliberately.
April 5, 2013 at 9:05am   
aurorasgifts
Thanks Guru tonight im going to try the placing the cream color curtains in my bedroom there to see if that is a good option I am feeling that its too manny dark colors on that one wall that bothers me I will post a pic , this would be a good solution as I can still exchange de gray ones for that cream color
April 5, 2013 at 10:54am   
brody1313
before you change your fireplace mantle arrangement, try pushing the outside objects closer to the painting so they are viewed as one instead of three items on mantle....do not put anything on the floor... ...I think you have done a nice job.....you can certainly tell your curtains aren't those skimppy door bought ones.....good job with your room......the mirror is a good suggestion to try...if you are still not pleased with mantle.....good luck
April 5, 2013 at 11:24am   
erasistible
I like the cream curtains better than the gray ones. I think Lkristine's suggestion of gold curtains would look even better.
April 5, 2013 at 11:39am   
erasistible
Wait. I would like gold curtains on the blue wall but not the cream wall. Perhaps a stripe with blues, grays, and cream. At least something with blues in them.
April 5, 2013 at 11:43am   
aurorasgifts
Brody I am trying to put together something for the mantel I will try to group it, thanks
April 5, 2013 at 12:45pm   
aurorasgifts
Brody my curtains are store bought at BBBeyond, I looked into custom and was really expensive
April 5, 2013 at 12:48pm   
aurorasgifts
Brody, I am trying the cream since its really the option that I can exchange for what I have and also since I dont want so manny colors
April 5, 2013 at 12:50pm   
aurorasgifts
Ok these are the bedroom curtains they have just been placed over the gray ones so not installed the grouping next to them on the mantle I just placed there to see if lighter colored items would work there
April 5, 2013 at 1:13pm     
aurorasgifts
Im sitting in the room to get a feel for it
April 5, 2013 at 1:15pm   
aurorasgifts
I think that if I pleat these like Guru advice and a mantle mirror like Keitha and Lkristine sugested in gold it might work??
April 5, 2013 at 1:20pm   
aurorasgifts
Posted pic with cream color curtain
April 5, 2013 at 1:28pm     
Are your windows right next to the fireplace or is there some wall between the window? I like the cream curtain, but I feel you lose your chairs; I like the grey but then you lose your walls. Personally of the two I would keep the Grey but make some more blue wall show.
April 5, 2013 at 1:42pm   
aurorasgifts
ASV husband and I just desided the same we are going to try to show more wall but window to the left is very close to the curtain line will try with the pleats maybe will reduce curtain volume , thanks and I will keep looking for the right thing for the mantle. Thanks
April 5, 2013 at 1:48pm     
aurorasgifts
Ok ths is all the blue wall we can show without exposing the windows, flowers not staying just leaving them for color untill I find right mantle pieces
April 5, 2013 at 2:45pm   
Project Guru
I like the dark better and I think the little tweaks will do it. Consider less symmetry with your accent pieces- in numbers, color and scale. Bravo
April 5, 2013 at 3:25pm   
aurorasgifts
Guru I have never had so much truble making a look work I think I need to look oround and find the right things for the mantle Im not a fan of artificial flowers, and never had anything so matchy so i think tha is my issue, will keep trying !
April 5, 2013 at 4:21pm   
erasistible
I like the dark better too. Cream would be too much white since it is in the chairs and rug.
April 5, 2013 at 4:24pm   
DIAspoton
okay just thought of this: i change things up quite often. i have a fabulous painting that was a gift from the artist. needed to be showcased for a photo. it's a bit small for the mantle , so i put it to right of center. then pulled a pair of bookends from another room and a few art books and set them to left of center. it worked .

try your mirror vertically to the right and a few books stacked or with bookends on the left. this will get away from the matchy look.
April 5, 2013 at 5:07pm     
@aurorasgifts, your room is beautiful and very close to the glam look you seem to be after. I think what is confounding you is not the colors of the drapes or the accessories on the mantel or the amount of blue wall showing. Looking at your whole fireplace wall, the wood veneer and the blue wall are the exact same value--that is, the same depth of color--and so there is very little contrast there. I think you need to lighten the wood to bring a bit more contrast to the wall. It would also show the tile on the fireplace better.
April 5, 2013 at 6:27pm   
aurorasgifts
Thanks DIA I will try that !
April 5, 2013 at 7:51pm   
aurorasgifts
Groveraxle, that really makes sense! I had been thinking of putting maybe chrome strip on the wood that is undernrath the bottom part of the mantle
April 5, 2013 at 7:54pm   
aurorasgifts
Groveraxle your dog a JR ? My FB pic is the same
April 5, 2013 at 7:55pm   
aurorasgifts
I can darken the wood but would not know how to lighten it?
April 5, 2013 at 8:00pm   
aurorasgifts
I have left over veneer I will try
April 5, 2013 at 8:01pm   
aurorasgifts, I'm not sure how to lighten it either, but I do think the lack of contrast is the problem. Someone earlier suggested a glaze, Use your leftover veneer to test different methods.

What's a JR? Grover is a basset hound mix. A very cool basset as you can tell by his shades.
April 5, 2013 at 10:06pm   
Apparently you can bleach wood and wood veneer. It requires a special two-part bleach, is messy and a bit dangerous, not a simple process start to finish, but can be done.
April 5, 2013 at 10:29pm   
aurorasgifts
Thanks Groveaxle, dont know if im up for that bleach is not my friend. O and JR Jack Russell
April 5, 2013 at 10:31pm   
DIAspoton
aurora, i still like the idea of silver over the veneer to compliment the glass tile.
Sooohh you might contact these houzzers: monperedecor.com . take a look at their site. before and after vermont kids room.
the silver walls are amazing. they may have some advice for you.
April 6, 2013 at 1:08am   
aurorasgifts
I will do that thanks DIA
April 6, 2013 at 8:28am   
How do I hide these ugly speakers?!
These speakers ruin the aesthetics of the room, how...
Should we buy this?
My bf and I have been looking for months for a new...
Ottoman fabric, which one!?!?
Hi! So I'm back with a follow up question now that...
Modular Kitchen
These days coloured panels are used on drawers. Any...
Hue suggestion?
When we choose our stone we thought we'd do our hardy...