Help!!! Large rooms open concept and have no starting point!! I'm lost
annie1982
Two very large rooms separated by a large opening I would like some ideas on how to blend them to flow. Thanks!!
annie1982
As well this is the other side of the room which houses the sofa
April 4, 2013 at 12:32pm   
annie1982
Other area of adjoining room
April 4, 2013 at 12:33pm   
There is too much furniture here, but unify the two spaces with paint for starters.
April 4, 2013 at 12:54pm     
annie1982
Yes we tend to stay in one room the other is a room in the middle with a computer/ laundry room and a bathroom and closet and the kitchen is off this second room just not sure how the flow should be in the second part with all of the other activity around it
April 4, 2013 at 1:01pm   
carolins
Cute dogs.

Think about what you use the room for. Do you want one lounge area where you watch TV and one area where you want to have a coffee with friends, read a book...?
Which of all this furniture is used most and what do you do when you sit there.
Do you need so much seating?
Does everything get used?
Which part of the room are you most often in?

And as decoenthusiaste said: paint (and wallpaper?)
April 4, 2013 at 1:03pm     
annie1982
Caroline's great advice thank you!!
April 4, 2013 at 3:03pm   
Mariah Perez
How many sitting areas do you have? Do you have a dinning room?
April 4, 2013 at 4:39pm     
annie1982
We have a small eating area off the kitchen I was thinking dining room, but there is a entrance and a bathroom and a computer room off one room as well as a closet and it leads into the kitchen .
April 5, 2013 at 3:09pm   
Mariah Perez
I like the are where you have the section for a dinning room.. And maybe use the sectional on the other area where you have the other sofas.
April 5, 2013 at 3:23pm   
NexTrend Design
Definitely you can start by unifying rooms with the same color paint. However, you could use a space-planning consultation to help you determine what to keep & toss, and how you want to use each space. That would help alot in determining what furniture goes where. It looks quite confusing from the photos, so you need an overall comprehensive plan to maximize it's functionality, flow & visual appeal.
April 5, 2013 at 4:24pm     
Mariah Perez
Agree
April 5, 2013 at 4:26pm     
alittledlc
Large shelving unit open on both sides with bins or baskets to help define smaller room? Used sort of as a floor-screen?
April 5, 2013 at 4:36pm     
mrstinylady
Gray in light and medium, red, yellow, cream, white, and wood are the colors you are using?

One thing you can do is to use the colors of one room as accents in the other. The accents could be in art or picture mats, pillows, rugs, lamps, draperies . . . whatever.

You can consider reducing any color that is over-bearing or not suited to the mood of the room or isn't among your desired color choices.

Ditto for items that are either too feminine or masculine or of an unwanted time period (harvest gold and avocado green can go to the local shelter, for example).

You can sell, repaint or reupholster or re-purpose anything to bring it into the here and now with the right colors and style too.

You could post a floorplan (with measurements) and get feedback regarding flow and furniture placement from the many people here who would enjoy walking in your world.

You could fill your Houzz Ideabook with all that you crave and let everyone design the rooms for you (need color swatches and floorplan info).

Looks like fun!
April 5, 2013 at 5:15pm     
mrstinylady
Just saw your ideabook! Nice calm choices with some glitz. Are you going to add in shades of blue? Love that livingroom (white sofa and blue walls) for you!
April 5, 2013 at 5:25pm     
carolins
Okay, if you have the measurements of the room, can you draw a floorplan? Need to know where doors and windows are.
It will help us to give you some ideas about furniture placement.
Have you thought about how you're using the room?
I do like the idea of a dining room, although I would place it in the area where your TV is I think, the area with all the doors. But if you're never going to use that dining table, you're better off just creating two cohesive seating area's.
Rugs will also help you do that. And I think the dogs will like large rugs too. Think about using indoor/outdoor rugs. They are easy to clean.
April 6, 2013 at 12:35am   
Holly Anderson Fine Art
carolins has a great idea ---- Smartdraw is a free computer program that IF you have your measurements you can design your floorplan and add furniture to scale, etc. it's wonderful. try that and repost!
April 6, 2013 at 1:13am     
AID Community
hi, your photos doesn't really show how the space is designed,
as some friends just suggested to draw a sketchy plan of the room, that would be really helpful.

you can have FREE interior design for your space,
check our facebook page:
www.facebook.com/AIDonline

for more info check our video on youtube :
April 6, 2013 at 1:26am   
annie1982
Love all the ideas going to post a floor plan!!
April 6, 2013 at 2:06am     
carolins
urban barn has a free online roomplanner too: http://www.urbanbarn.com/Room-Planner
April 6, 2013 at 2:23am   
I have an open concept great room. Trying to pick backsplash. Help
I have juperano classic granite, cinnamon cherry cabinets,...
I'm lost with this room
I need to something with this room but do not know...
Blank slate living room - I'm lost!
My husband and I just moved from a small apartment...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Help choose color for kitchen cabinets
I am having a tough time deciding between rustoleum's...
Have you ever had a laundry disaster?
You open the doors to the laundry machine and out falls...
Living room isn't flowing
Advice needed!! I have been working on this room,...