Blah, need a fresh look
oceanspace38April 4, 2013
Need a new color idea
A Crew of Two
Is it possible to take a picture farther back so we can see the whole space? Are you looking to just do the dining area or the whole kitchen? Is that wainscoting or just a chair rail? If it is just a chair rail I would raise it up to the top 2/3s of the wall and making it more substantial? I think it would work well with your hutch. Then do two tones of the same color. Or a fun wallpaper on the upper portion. AHB Custom Home Builders - Royal Lake Estates Residence Kelly Scanlon Interior Design wallcovering projects
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:46PM
I would pick a color scheme that you really like, maybe blue and white? Then paint the upper wall white and the area below the chair rail a pretty blue. For your furniture, you could "dip" it to make it more modern: Ideabook: On Trend: 10 Ways to Dip Dye
Ideabook: Idea of the Week: Give Old Furniture a Delightful Dip
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:51PM
Is red your favorite color? If not, plan on getting rid of it and adding your fav. Take down all the stuff, including valances, to let in some light. Paint furniture too. There is a product called "Instant Granite" that works over laminate counters to update them. See Rachel Ray and Carver from HGTV demo it at instant-granite.com.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 5:08PM
oceanspace38
Well, my husband loves the Amish built kitchen and will not let me paint the wood!! Urrrrrr. Here is a bigger pic. What color would lighten it up more? I am going to remove the valances, I agree it will add more light! Excuse the mess I am painting my bath! I wish the would of made this a galley style kitchen.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 7:26AM
Amish built, wow, that's like one of the best you could hope for. I wouldn't paint it either, I would totally cherish it. Have you thought about a banquette for that corner, to replace the table and chairs? [houzz=
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 8:34AM
Anne Gibney
If you are not married to the red, I would paint a different color. The red seems to be pulling the whole room down making it appear heavy. I agree remove the valances, the shelf on the wall and maybe paint the back of the corner cabinet and showcase a few pieces. I too use to have hickory Amish chairs just like yours unfortunately had to sell them when moving, loved the wood grain and craftsmanship of the Amish chairs. I see you have vinyl flooring, are you open to changing the flooring? If budget is a constraint you could put vinyl tiles in a light/dark right over the vinyl. This would instantly change your space.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 4:38AM
Anne Gibney
Here is a picture of stained cabinet Ina darker finish. Is your Husband open to staining?
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 4:40AM
Anne Gibney
Here is a picture with tiles.

1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 4:42AM
sixteen fourteen
My neighbor has some of the same light blockage/monochromatic wood issues that you're facing. She painted her cabinets white, did stick-on floor "tiles" from Home Depot, and it made a HUGE difference on a very small budget (link to photos below). P.S. Husbands never, ever want to paint wood, Amish or otherwise. So annoying. ;-)
http://sixteenfourteen.weebly.com/2/post/2012/06/reston-remodelista-eryns-kitchen-facelift.html
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 5:11AM
skeensm
I would paint the entire wall the same color--something light because the dark color is closing the room up. Maybe a pale yellow or cream? I would also paint the table and chairs, probably a nice crisp black. There are too many wood tones I think. Remove the valance because it's cutting out the light too! The cabinets are nice, you just need to lighten the walls and window I think! Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 5:24AM
carole
all of this and many more good ideas have been mentioned by all above,i would re-use current furniture by painting the chairs and the table legs in color or in white/cream and paintig a new color on the wall,take down the valances,would change out the little shelf for a nice art,
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 5:48AM
oceanspace38
Thank you all, yes I agree the Red is dragging it down. I find my taste is changing. Need to brighten without touching his precious wood! Lol
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 1:01PM
carole
here are some more pictures i found for you,
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 1:15PM
oceanspace38
Well, I painted it Soft Tan and it looks much bigger! Know any ideas for window treatments?
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:36PM
It sure does look bigger! And brighter! Can't really see the window, though.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:45PM
momof5x
You could place a rug under the dining table, some soft chair cushion covers, a bowl of fruit in center of table or a vase of flowers. The cabinet looks dark but I think if you replace everything in it with stacks of nice dinner ware, teapots and tea cups it will add some light to the corner. I would also remove the shelf unit on the wall and put a large piece of art work there.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:27PM
carole
what would you like to see st the window?a blind i think would be a good option,maybe in a color that you could chose from the rug that momof5x suggested maybe the metal shelf can be changed out for a big canvas,you must think i am a painter myself the way i keep putting canvasses in this post but i find the paintings i have really cheer me up and some i have had for years now and i still love them...so here is 2 more...
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 12:56PM
carole
and here is some more painted furniture
in the original picture did i see a bench,if so where is it gone???
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 1:08PM
anne dee
French-Inspired kitchen
matchstick blinds
Kitchen
have you considered a rug to add another color element
Young Professionals
printed roller blinds
Visual suggestions to consider
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 1:10PM
shelleyuk
I wold use a roman blind in a lovely pattern to lift the room and add a bit of interest but hang it high over the window rather than recessed into the window so that it doesn't block out your light when its raised. Then you can pick put some of the colours and accessorise around it.
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 1:17PM
shelleyuk
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 1:19PM
shelleyuk
Rather than like this

Which looks lovely but you need to maximise your light.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 1:21PM
Living Room looks "Blah": What should go over couch?
My living room looks boring! I need something to go...
kellypmart
Big room gone Blah!
I have a wonderful home with every room overlooking...
debiok
Lamps are Blah
These lamps are very boring to me. What would you...
Sharon Stone
Blah blah ranch needs serious curb appeal!!
Our 50's ranch is really lacking curb appeal. We want...
carrieann13
Blah Blah Blah livingroom I need help!!!
I have a odd shaped living room with a corner woodburning...
shelleyallanson
Hardwood or tile?
I am trying to decide on whether to use hardwood floors...
jlgriesse
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...
Need help with our courtyard
We have a wonderful 20m x 6m courtyard. I'm happy with...
imray
What goes with this chair?
I need help figuring out what to out with my new chair!...
wapusk99
Do you think a red front door would look good on our house?
Currently, the door is white - a lot of black and white...
Sally Edwards