Thinking about carving the trunk of a pine tree
Cheryl Hudson
The tree roots are damaging the driveway and walk, so it has to go. We are thinking about getting someone to do a chainsaw sculpture on part of the trunk. Should we have it cut down while they are taking down the tree, then make a firm stand for it and get it carved? Or leave it and have it carved. What should we get the chainsaw artist to do?
cherc
What seems right for you area? I've seen several with bears or eagles near us.
April 4, 2013 at 9:16pm   
Ironwood Builders
Cut it down, stump grind to kill the roots and do your totem pole on a rock plinth. Pine will rot in a hurry, so oil the ever lovin' p out of it.
April 4, 2013 at 11:02pm     
That trunk could be cut into amazing side tables! If you have them cut to varying heights you can use them as:
1. planter stands
2. driveway markers
3. pavers in the ground
4. side tables
Realize that over time they will indeed rot (unless you leave them to "cure" and then bring them indoors) but life is ephemeral but can be pretty while it lasts.
April 5, 2013 at 12:08am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
The style of your home wouldn't look good with a wood sculpture at all. Please recycle the wood some how but it would be I feel in poor taste to have this in front of your home that isn't a rustic look where carved wood sculptures would be pleasing. Make some stump chairs or a bench for the back yard out in the back garden area maybe. Your neighbors will be grateful you moved that look to the back yard. Check to with the city codes & neighborhood association. Ask your neighbors to what they would think. It could bring down the whole style & look of the area.
April 5, 2013 at 12:19am     
OnePlan
Shame it has to go ! But I think you will enjoy so much more daylight in your home when it's gone !
April 5, 2013 at 12:44am     
Ironwood Builders
I'm glad Kevin stepped in with that comment...I don't see it either but am too wishy washy when it comes to your personal taste.
April 5, 2013 at 5:50am     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I'm just trying to keep America beautiful. lol And the home owners proud.
April 5, 2013 at 7:27am     
brody1313
I agree w/Keviin......
April 5, 2013 at 7:35am     
Jayme H.
Agree with Kevin..A carved figure would look better near a rustic home.
April 5, 2013 at 2:45pm   
mousemaker
it's so sad to take down trees. we had to take down a maple. i couldn't even be here when it was done because i was so upset about it. the roots were growing into the sewer lines (it's a long icky story) and the sap was all over the front of the house, including lots of louvers..it should never have been planted where it grew. Maybe you can find a spot to plant some flowering bushes or trees that will not interfere with your driveway?
April 5, 2013 at 3:00pm   
Jayme H.
Does anyone know if those root barriers can be installed and/or if they work on such a large tree?
April 5, 2013 at 3:16pm   
Cheryl Hudson
Appreciate the comments. I agree it would be better out in the back yard, but the tree is in the front, and moving the log would be difficult. I was thinking of eagles or owls, and planting flowers around it. I think we could make it look good enough. I'm hoping the HOA would not object (they gave permission to cut it down).
April 5, 2013 at 3:21pm   
aurorasgifts
Kevin I want to be your BFF! Lol
April 5, 2013 at 3:26pm   
shelleyuk
Is there anything else like that in your area? Hate to be a killjoy but I know I would object. Its one thing giving permission for the tree to come down but another giving permission for a totem pole.
April 5, 2013 at 3:28pm   
tcufrog
We unfortunately lost multiple trees at once. I had them made into a balance beam for the backyard. It's very popular with the kids.
April 5, 2013 at 3:29pm   
I've seen trees like this cut down to about 2-3 feet, and then the inside hollowed out and beautiful, colorful flowers planted inside, maybe you could think of doing that?
April 5, 2013 at 3:41pm   
Jayme H.
Any chance you would want to research saving the tree by adding a root barrier?
April 5, 2013 at 4:11pm     
cherc
What area do you live Cheryl? The ones I've seen in our area are in parks, or by more rustic homes..Colorado
April 5, 2013 at 4:14pm   
cherc
Ok that's cool Jayme.
April 5, 2013 at 4:14pm   
Jayme H.
IDK if it's feasible to do on a mature tree..I am researching...I love trees.
April 5, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Jayme H.
ROOTS AND PAVEMENT

If trees are too close to pavement, or if compacted soil forces large roots to grow very near the soil surface, roots can eventually lift pavement. When roots encounter a paved area, the only entry is often a gap between the soil and pavement. Future problems can be prevented at the time of planting by using smaller plants, providing a minimum distance of 4 feet between the tree and the pavement, or using mechanical barriers to prevent roots from growing under the pavement. Remedies for lifted pavements around mature trees often involve either moving the pavement away from the tree or pruning off the problem roots. Barriers are often installed after the roots are cut to prevent re-growth of the roots and recurrence of the pavement lifting. Cutting off the problem roots often causes stress and instability. Trees without sufficient root support can be blown over more easily in a storm.
April 5, 2013 at 4:36pm   
Cheryl Hudson
Tree is down, Sunday we have Dave coming out to carve a perched eagle. I'll post a picture when he's done. The neighborhood has an Eagle preserve, and with the proper landscaping, I think this will be sharp.
April 10, 2013 at 3:52am     
Cheryl Hudson
We have an eagle. I think it turned out better than many thought.
April 15, 2013 at 6:02pm     
Cheryl Hudson
Just needs some plants.
April 15, 2013 at 6:03pm   
WOW!!!
April 15, 2013 at 6:04pm   
cranberri99
Birds of prey know they're cool!
April 15, 2013 at 7:13pm   
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Kitchen cabinet advice needed
I just bought this house and my struggle is with the...
Hardwood flooring emergency-- help!
Hi friends, We are near the very end of our remodel...
Mirrored Powder Room
The previous owner put floor to ceiling mirror in the...
how to extend this front porch to the right - straight or angled?
We need to re-pave the front stoop and want to have...