How to transistion tile from one room to another at a door way without just butting them together
utilahouse
When the floor tile is different from one room to the next it looks plain just butting them up to each other at the doorway. I want to add a more polished design look by doing some sort of transistion piece maybe the width of the doorway but can't figure out what to do. Any ideas?
one option is to lay a strip of tile that is completely different from what is currently there.
April 5, 2013 at 6:13am   
utilahouse
OK, thanks. Let me give that some thought and see what I might be able to do. Any others? I thought maybe using one of the same tiles in either room, but laying rectangle pieces the width of the doorway about 8 or 10 inches in length to break up the pattern in each room.
April 5, 2013 at 6:22am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You could put a 5" - 6" wide wood transition piece. Are you sure you want to put different tiles in spaces where you can see one from the other? It would seem to me that it would look busy and not very cohesive.
April 5, 2013 at 6:29am   
utilahouse
You are right, not very cohesive, well said. However my bathrooms will have different tile than the adjacent bedrooms they serve. I have already done one "bedroom to bathroom transition" and have now stopped as I don't like the look. Thanks for the wood strip idea. Question, is this rare to use different bathroom tile than the bedroom has, when the bathroom is a master bath off the bedroom?
April 5, 2013 at 6:40am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I can't answer your question fully as it would be very rare to see tile in a bedroom in our area. The floor would just be too cold. We generally see hardwoods or carpet. If I were doing it, I would use the same tile in both spaces, possibly changing the size when going into the bathroom. You could then use a tile "rug" in the bath area if you wanted to create an accent in the bath and duplicate the accent color elsewhere in the bath. This is an example of what I mean by tile rug. [houzz=
]
April 5, 2013 at 7:03am   
utilahouse
Thanks so much. Yes, when I wrote that the bedrooms were tiled I thought to myself that it might seem strange without explanation. This is being built in the Caribbean and tile is very common in these cases. I have this situation with 6 bathrooms and unfortunately 2 of them already have a tile in the bedroom that wouldn't suit being in the bathrooms so I will make do with those rooms. However, I can now adjust for the next ones I do and I like your idea of using the same tile in the bedroom and bath, but with a different size pattern in the bath. I am doing the "tile rug" effect in other rooms so I know what you mean. Good input and I sure appreciate your time! Thanks
April 5, 2013 at 7:10am   
jerpinfew54
You can use 2" x 2" mosaic floor tile or shower floor mosaic tile in colors that match both rooms or cut 2" strips with different lengths of both tiles and lay in a jag pattern
April 5, 2013 at 7:20am   
utilahouse
Thanks jerpinfew54. May I ask, what do you mean by a "jag" pattern? On the diagonal? You just gave me an idea!
April 5, 2013 at 7:27am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
How wonderful. Love the Caribbean. Enjoy your new home.
April 5, 2013 at 7:27am   
utilahouse
Thanks Deborah. It's been 2 years and 2 months so far and I am out of time, patience, energy and money and I can see at least 6 months more but man...I sure have learned a lot! Limited access to material and skilled labor has been the biggest challenge but I know it will be a positive chapter in the adventure in the end. Thanks again.
April 5, 2013 at 7:31am   
How would you spend $10,000 in your garden?
If you had a windfall, where would your money go in...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
2 door Entryway to living room
Please help me decide how to model this. We have a...
Need help with layout of living room/dining room area in condo.
Moved from house to condo 15 years ago. Now feeling...
PRETTY PLEASE...shutter or not
These current shutters are rotten and have to go. ...