What to do with pink brick?
rquery
We are looking to paint our house. We're thinking white trim with gray paint but I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions.
onthefence
I don't know much about the process but think I'd look into staining the brick instead of painting it.

I do agree that your brick needs something. Every painted brick home I've seen though either has to be repainted often - or looks like it needs to be repainted immediately. It seems to be a very high maintenance surface for paint.

Hopefully you could achieve the look you want with stain and have to do it a lot less frequently.
April 5, 2013 at 7:53am   
Design & Decor By Shelley
What a great little home you have..I love the front porch..I attached a few samples for you to have a look at. I agree you should paint the house gray. Possibly add shutters on either side of the window in a deep charcoal and paint the door the same or if you really want to stand out..Paint the door red..
April 5, 2013 at 7:54am     
tayloch
I like your brickwork and painting is a pain to maintain. However I think a dark brown door and trim would be better than the current green and would paint the step a beige colour. I think the colour of the brickwork would look quite different with a different trim. Agree that adding shutters would be nice.
April 5, 2013 at 8:09am   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Shelley's images are great! This is a nice home. My first impression is dealing with the color of the steps! Staining the concrete or stripping the paint and doing a light acid-wash?
April 5, 2013 at 8:46am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I rather like painted brick, but understand it becomes a maintenance item. Here is one of my favorite color combinations. [houzz=
]
April 5, 2013 at 9:06am     
Leave it..part of the charm. Play up your trim and your windows. Cute, cute…

April 5, 2013 at 9:14am     
nasmijati
I would embrace the pink color of your bricks. (The front steps do seem a bit too bright, however.)
To explore different paint combinations for the pillars and trim the old-fashioned way, make enlarged xerox copies of your house and get out the colored pencils. To do it the modern way, use photoshop or a similar program on the computer.

You have a nice, sturdy home. It looks to be in good repair. Be grateful for what you have, and take your time with the decor.

Best wishes.
April 5, 2013 at 9:27am     
Lux Construction
I really like the brickwork on your home, though the steps and columns could be integrated a bit better.
April 5, 2013 at 9:30am   
Joe Ahmann, Ahmann Design, Inc.
As long as you're aware of the maintenance cost, I say go for it. Grays are a very popular color right now, and the white would really make it pop. I also agree that you should address the step and porch colors. Perhaps a gray that's darker than the brick color for the porch floor to hide dirt, and then a lighter color for the steps to make the porch pop a bit more.

You also have the opportunity to add interest with those columns so try some bold pops of color as highlights on those.

Your home has a great curb appeal, and anything you do to update it is only going to complement that!

Good luck!
April 5, 2013 at 9:35am   
Vancouver General Contractors
Painting bricks can be painted and be beautiful. Since the brickwork that you have is mostly covered, the paint would take longer to fade. But keep in mind that once you paint the brick, you might have to consider painting the rest of the house to match.

Here are some great examples:

Addition
Northway
April 5, 2013 at 9:42am   
Design & Decor By Shelley
I just thought I would add information regarding the maintenance of painting the brick. Paint has certainly come a long way in technology and of course being environmentally friendly. Benjamin Moore has a newer line of paint for Interior/Exterior applications. It is called Aura..Please check into this product for your brick..The maintenance is more like 10 years using this product. It is phenomenal on stucco and brick..
Do not forget that the preparation before painting is just as important as the paint.
Good Luck with your beautiful home..
April 5, 2013 at 9:44am   
rquery
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, it's very helpful! I wasn't very clear in my initial post-we are planning on keeping the brick and are considering gray or another color for the porch, door, and the siding that is on both sides of the house above the brick (there isn't a good picture of this). White trim would be on the windows and pillars. I'm open to hearing more ideas....
April 5, 2013 at 10:58am     
Triangle Brick Company
I love your house, please don’t paint the beautiful brick. As a brick manufacturer, we love the look of natural brick and its durability. However, if you do decide to paint the brick, please be prepared for increased maintenance. According to The Brick Industry Association, “Most paint authorities agree that, once painted, exterior masonry will require repainting every three to five years.”

I would like to suggest the following paint combination:

SW7040 Smokehouse: Porch Steps
SW7038 Tony Taupe: Siding & accents on columns & around window
SW7068 Grizzle Gray: Front door, mailbox, accent on middle band of column
SW7035 Aesthetic White: Trim color

May I suggest that you find a rug with all of the colors & put it under the Adirondack chairs or find pillows with all of the colors to use as an accent on the chairs. What a great house!!
April 5, 2013 at 1:35pm     
joyce_6333
I have no suggestion, and just wanted to say I love your house just the way it is. Lots of character.
April 5, 2013 at 1:52pm     
sondramartina
Your houses is pretty and I would not paint the brick. I would rather replace stairs and porch material or jut paint it different colour.
April 5, 2013 at 1:57pm     
Like your plan, it was just poorly stated. You have my permission to go ahead with your project! lol!
April 5, 2013 at 2:47pm   
tcufrog
I am so glad you're not planning to paint the brick. I usually hate pink brick but I love your's. I think the big culprit are the salmon steps. They look like a giant tongue and dominate the space. I would paint the steps and porch either with the color of the columns or the color of the stone in front. I would also place planters on the short stone columns. One fun idea would be to tile the front of the steps with decorative tiles. I see this home as radiating fun, young and quirky because of the pink brick and color scheme. Embrace it! One fun thing would be to tile the front steps like this.
The colors and home style are totally different but this gives you the idea.
April 5, 2013 at 4:08pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
tcufrog, I see where you are going! Very cool! Those steps bothered me big time! The house has a slight Craftsman Style feel, what if the risers used tiles from that period? Just throwing an idea out!!
April 5, 2013 at 4:13pm     
nasmijati
I am going to look for some Craftsman style tiles or stencil that could be used on the porch steps. Be back tomorrow!
April 5, 2013 at 4:20pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
This house has a brick paver porch and step treads. Nice look! Craftsman Style bungalow.
April 5, 2013 at 4:31pm   
bevballew
Cute house. I have seen many houses with pink brick in my community and they keep the pink but paint trim to subdue the pink. I would say I have seen gray like you said and dark brown. Not sure about a taupe of course I believe without a pink tint. Designers know best but I have seen it done where the pink brick is subdued by the right trim colors. With all the other trim I don't think you need to paint. Definitely change step color.
April 5, 2013 at 4:32pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Eztia, looking forward to what you find!
April 5, 2013 at 4:33pm   
studio10001
Eztia, are those linoleum?
April 5, 2013 at 4:52pm   
nasmijati
They sure look like linoleum. I am having trouble getting the pics I want to attach. Let me go back and revise a bit...
April 5, 2013 at 4:54pm     
HERE Design and Architecture
What a beautiful chimney you have! In keeping with the existing brick and stone, I would use more subdued ('earthy') colors that are more or less in the same value range rather than the dark green and bright coral you have, which feel more Victorian to me. I think the craftsman aesthetic is more subtle than that, and the consistency in value will help integrate the house visually.
April 5, 2013 at 5:01pm     
studio10001
Villalagoontile.com has havana style options being used in exterior settings. Not finding details, though
April 5, 2013 at 5:03pm   
Bonnie
Your house is so cute! I am not sure if I would paint the brick. I don't really see it as a problem and painted brick has so much maintenance.
April 5, 2013 at 5:06pm     
nasmijati
I have returned with tiny images (because I am using an iPad). I can attach four at a time.
It was difficult to find tiles in repeating patterns except for hearth surrounds.
Here goes...
April 5, 2013 at 5:26pm     
nasmijati
More...
April 5, 2013 at 5:27pm     
nasmijati
More...
April 5, 2013 at 5:31pm     
nasmijati
Here are some design ideas for a railing for the porch steps.
April 5, 2013 at 5:32pm     
nasmijati
Individual tile patterns that you might want to incorporate into your decor...
April 5, 2013 at 5:33pm     
Try Motawi tiles for the front steps. A few judiciously placed decorative tiles in a sea of field tiles would be lovely. https://www.motawi.com/tile-installation
April 5, 2013 at 5:48pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
LOOKING GOOD!
April 5, 2013 at 5:48pm   
studio10001
Well, villalagoon is the only place I came up with that had selection in approp. colors. Maybe worth a look. OR, take the design from one of these, stencil and seal.
(Thanks, Etzia-think I've just decided to redo the fireplace....)
April 5, 2013 at 5:49pm     
studio10001
The Polychromes ! (Poster collapses)
April 5, 2013 at 5:51pm   
rquery
You all are amazing! Thank you!
April 5, 2013 at 6:00pm   
tcufrog
You have to post an after photo. I think it will be really cute and fun when you're done.
April 6, 2013 at 6:51am     
rquery
Here is a much better picture of the side of the house. You can see the siding we would paint.
April 6, 2013 at 8:36am     
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the brick.
April 6, 2013 at 8:43am     
wantsideas
Your house is charming and I don't think you should paint the bricks. It's the salmon/coral steps and porch and green door that are bringing out the pink and not in a good way. Painting everything but the brick would be a better way to go.
April 6, 2013 at 8:59am     
Entry Way Help Needed
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left...
Eat in kitchen corner
I posted earlier about this . I keep trying to fix...
Colourful photo frames - yay or nay?
Black, white or silver are your standard photo frame...
Kitchen window and patio door California shutters or builds in blinds.
California shutters or built in blinds for the patio...
Need help decorating bedroom
Uneven ceiling is feature of the room but we are not...