Color ideas for an open concept living/dining/kitchen space? Floor, Paint
kellyaj
Hello. This area has elements in it that are causing me issues moving forward with updating the space. We will be installing new flooring (most likely laminate since we own Great Danes), windows, trim/casings and eventually doing something with the kitchen cupboards/countertops/lights. We will be painting out the lovely wooden wall in the entrance as well. This house sits on 4 acres in the bush overlooking a river so I want to keep a "cabin feel" to it.

I am having trouble choosing a laminate floor sample and paint/stain (for the trim/casings) colors. The peach colored brick of the fireplace (which runs through on both levels of the home) versus the yellow tone of the cedar ceiling is throwing me off. I am very skeptical of painting out the fireplace because it is the same brick on my home exterior (plus you see the chimney outside right?). Ideas? We actually use the fireplaces and the chimney is part of our central heating system so removing it isn't an option either. And of course hubby will not allow anything to happen to his cedar ceiling! Very limiting I know!
Yes, you are caught in a pickle, pink and yellow are difficult colours to resolve.
Unless other Houzzers come up with curveball ideas, I would suggest you continue with the cedar colour and try to match that. It has probably aged enough so there shouldn't be further darkening.

At least you have unity around the ceiling and floor.

Now for the pink fireplace: using the adage "if you can't disguise it, decorate it" can you lean a large mirror over the mantelpiece that covers much of the top part. It will reflect more cedar and hopefully a lovely view. On the sides hang long rugs to cover it.

Basically, you want to draw attention to what is ON it than the fireplace itself.
April 7, 2013 at 12:28am   
Cozy Casita
I'd paint the fireplace or, better still, plaster it. I don't think many people go into homes expecting the interior chimney to match the exterior of the house. (Many have, for example, stone or rock fireplaces but still have brick chimneys on the exterior.)
April 7, 2013 at 12:43am     
jccbaker
You could actually go with a mahogany laminate and that would still look good with the ceiling. I have mahogany floor and honey maple cabinets and my wood trim is pecan, and it looks nice together. Instead of trying to do something to the fireplace, get rid of the green stuff on the mantle and prop and huge painting on that ledge. Bright colors, big pattern. Your fireplace brick also has blues in it. So a picture with blues, yellows, and pinks might pull it all together. That would draw the eye up and away. You could get one of these:
April 7, 2013 at 1:48am   
A Crew of Two
What about updating the fireplace insert? Adding a new mantle in a painted wood- white or taupe would be my choice. You say you are doing the cabinets and counters- choose those first, then paint and floor. Even if you are not doing those right away- plan for them so what you do now matches them down the road. I would do a wide plank floor at least 4". And choose a lighter color- it will show less wear and tear. Living Room Orange Living Room Crown Hill Remodel Manchester Tan HC-81 by Benjamin Moore
April 7, 2013 at 7:16pm   
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
This is very simple but not cheap: Paint out all that brassy wood. Then the there is not fighting of the brick vs dated wood. Clean bright paint is better looking and will be fresher in the space.
April 7, 2013 at 7:18pm   
kellyaj
All the ideas have been helpful. Thank you. The fireplace is where the makeover will begin. We are planning to cover the existing mantle with a piece of wood and for now paint out the doors black (a good insert around here is big bucks especially when I need another one for the fireplace downstairs). I saw some pictures on the web for whitewashing a fireplace and think that would tone down the color of it. Was thinking along the lines of using a creamy white to have a yellow undertone to go with the wood ceiling.

CMR Interiors, I have a question for you: What wood components are you suggesting we paint out since I am not familiar with the term "brassy wood"? We still want a cabin feel to the place since we live in the bush so I am not sure what you mean :) .
April 10, 2013 at 5:32pm   
The masonry and the brassy yellow wood tones do not work together. ....one of the two has to be painted. Me, I think the yellow tones of the wood are too strong to go with the majority of colors and I'd paint it all.
April 10, 2013 at 5:55pm   
atwiet
Paint all the wood in kitchen a soft grey or white or both. Change out the counter tops to a dark color like black . Then when you paint the fireplace mantel and screen black it will compliment and connect the kitchen The brick looks to be 'Chicago brick'. Which is very popular for interior walls in that city. It looks great with grey. Typically the color of the mortar
April 10, 2013 at 6:52pm     
Sustainable Dwellings
I believe that the brick would be more attractive if it were painted.
March 17, 2014 at 12:56pm   
14thstreet
Adding a neutral solid color would help anchor your eye...like a soft white, or even a charcoal gray....

Definitely build out your mantle with wood to make it more substantial. You could even build one that frames the sides of the fireplace as well, with a painted wood in a soft white or charcoal gray tone. It would really help to anchor the room.
[houzz=Barn Retreat]
[houzz=Changing History]
[houzz=Glencoe Residence6 Study]
[houzz=lowcountry river house]

Perhaps use a molding to break up the area where the brick meets the ceiling? Painted of course.
[houzz=Boyce Drive 1]

The tile in front of the fireplace needs updating also.. how about a charcoal slate or porcelain? Nothing too busy.
March 17, 2014 at 1:15pm   
wastrox
I would paint everything (walls, fireplace) except the ceiling.
May 15, 2014 at 7:56pm   
susanburch50
I personally think you already have a lot of wood around and above. Have you thought about slate laminate? some of it is quite lovely. I did a bathroom in stone laminate and honestly everyone thinks it is actual stone it is that real. I am just wondering if you do wood on the floor if you will find it oppressive with all the wood already there and above. I might also consider painting the fireplace or building a new surround above the mantel to bring it down from the ceiling? someone suggested painting out the fireplace enclosure black, good idea if you cannot replace it :)...anyway, just personal thoughts :)
May 21, 2014 at 4:10am   
pitbulls
You could white wash the brick making it less pink. Paint out the fireplace brass insert black. Love the wood but I like the idea of painting the cabinets.
May 21, 2014 at 5:16am   
This post is over a year old but would be interested if Kellyaj has any updates...
May 21, 2014 at 5:23am     
kellyaj
Unfortunately no updates on any progress made because I still don't know what to do. I would love to cover the whole fireplace with a stone veneer but we priced it out to be around $5000 which is not in our budget;there is almost 500 sq feet to cover! We will paint out the cupboards, the wood paneling on the wall, make a wood mantel for the fireplace and paint out the insert black but the fireplace is still up in the air. I attempted some painting techniques on some hidden brick in the basement and a brown paint seemed to tone it down. I'm just not sure if I am brave enough to do the whole thing because if it doesn't look right it is a huge mistake that will be very noticeable since it is right in the middle of the house. Gee I wish it was covered in stone!
May 21, 2014 at 12:07pm   
kellyaj
oh and i tried white washing with a variety of 'strengths' of an off white paint and it still looked pink so that didn't seem to work out. I then tried a yellow based taupe paint but what seemed to work best was a brown paint I cut in half. The brick looks deeper,
more red then.
May 21, 2014 at 12:12pm     
Sorry to hear this has been such a headache. Did you experiment with painting it white? Ultimately it might be the easiest solution. Even if the outside part of the chimney is pink, I don't think it will be a problem.
May 21, 2014 at 12:16pm   
Oops crossed wires? Maybe not white washing but a proper primer?
May 21, 2014 at 12:17pm   
Need help with wall colors in open concept living/dining/kitchen
Our house is open concept with volume ceilings and...
How to paint an open living/dining/kitchen area?
Hate beige. New home has all beige walls. The living,...
Accent wall color for this open living/dining/kitchen area
Hi, Could you suggest some accent wall colors that...
Living/Dining/Kitchen area paint color
We just had a new fireplace installed in our living...
Decorating our open plan living/dining/kitchen
Hi Houzzers, We've recently moved into a newly built...
What can done on the top of car porch
Landscape space above carporch not utilised
Am I on the right track?
Does this flooring and carpet work together? Sometimes...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
Need Help Converting home to craftman style on a budget
I want to change my home into a craftman style home...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....