SMALL Apartment Dining Room. Help!
Elsa TorgersenApril 5, 2013
Any ideas? This is what I'm working with
bmarie2012
I feel like there is a lot going on here. Maybe its the chairs and the table cloth? What about taking some things off the shelves as well. You should try and put everything you want on there and then take away half. Find a collection of hardback books and take the jackets off of them, stack them in different ways and add a fun nick knack here and there. good luck :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:34PM
Elsa Torgersen
I now have a solid table cloth on there if it helps
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:37PM
tennisanyone
Have you tried the two leaning ladders where the big mirror is? Maybe with the accent wall it will bring what you have on the shelves "to life" and then we can edit those shelves too. It doesn't look from here that you have enough space but computers can be deceiving. Those three mirror are small for the space too. Do you have a window in the room? I am not a fan of tablecloths either.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:38PM
Elsa Torgersen
No window, the wall with the mirror has a counter from the kitchen that sticks out so the bookcases wont fit there. I thinkg you can see it in the second picture, sort of.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:39PM
Elsa Torgersen
I agree, the bookcases are a mess
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:40PM
Unless you need the tablecloth, I would remove it. It's creating visual clutter, I think the room will look very nice without it. I would also remove the pillows on the large chairs..
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:40PM
bmarie2012
I think I like the idea of moving the shelving too! Then maybe a big piece of artwork on that main wall with no small mirrors. If you want to go creative just buy a large canvas at the craft store grab some black and white paint and some gold leaf sheets and go to town creating something special for your own wall. (or silver leaf if you arnt crazy about gold) What color is the new table cloth?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:42PM
aurorasgifts
Pretty table dont hide it. Table cloth for meal time only take it off and its instant room update
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:43PM
tennisanyone
I am not a fan of ladder shelves in general. They just always look like clutter to me . How do you feel about finding a console table with storage/doors and then get some artwork in the middle with two lamps on either side. This way, you can actually use it as a buffet.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:45PM
Elsa Torgersen
Love the console idea
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:47PM
Elsa Torgersen
Unfortunately, If I put a console table there, I can't even pull out that center dining chair. This is the reason for the 2 separate ladder shelves. This room is TINY! haha
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:49PM
tennisanyone
Can you move anything down to the center.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:50PM
bmarie2012
what about a big canvas photo of the baby? Its a beautiful photo
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:51PM
One way to make the ladder shelves look great is with linen-look boxes to hold knick-knacks that don't have to be displayed 24/7. This is a great way to rotate your accessories; put some in the boxes and leave some out. Then when the seasons change reverse the process. It will be like having a whole new room! [houzz=
]
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:52PM
aurorasgifts
Do you have two smaller chairs that you can use with the cream ones and use the darker ones in LR?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:52PM
bmarie2012
space the shelving out a little more, put the big mirror between them and big artwork on the other wall. (sorry for so many comments just staring at your room)
:)
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:53PM
anne dee

As this photo suggests have some art where your mirror is presently. move the mirror over a console table. Edit the rest for a spacious looking dining area .
I would disregard the overhanging light fixture
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:55PM
Elsa Torgersen
I have 2 bar stools that are identical to those dark arm chairs only taller and arm-less, but they wont fit under the table and my husband likes his chair arms =p
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:55PM
aurorasgifts
Ok keep hubbie in chairs! Both sets of chairs are very nice but feel that together they may be too much but then again maybe its the table cloth that makes i seem so pleas take a pic without it and post
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:58PM
Elsa Torgersen
again, I wish i had room for a console table! I could space out the bookshelves a little more and try the mirror in between. Maybe I'll get different bookcases? how could I get bookcases that aren't ladders but aren't overwhelming in a small space?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:59PM
Elsa Torgersen
I intend to get more of the white chairs and use them on a big table so the dark ones wont be so overpowering... once we get a house =p
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:00PM
aurorasgifts
Do you have a dresser or chest of drawers that you can place in the room withbthe mirror over it? Then you can maybe place the shelves in LR?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:01PM
No, you don't need different bookcases!!! IMO, anyway. The ladder shelves are open and airy and bookcases will only make the room look smaller. I like the idea of the round mirror between them.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:03PM
Elsa Torgersen
console table is probably the answer.. we dont really USE this table for eating, maybe I could just fold down both leaves and forget about two chairs.. push it against the wall?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:03PM
aurorasgifts
Ok i used a tall furniture piece as a bar just placed decanters on it , from what you say of moving down the line its better try to work with what you have dont buy special things for the space found pieces make great looks
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:04PM
aurorasgifts
That could work, also you could have a little romantic table for two and a litte side table i will post pic os the bar thing im talking about im a tru believer in "shopping" oround the house
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:07PM
aurorasgifts
Here is the bar idea sorry pic is bad, this would work with any dresser
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:09PM
aurorasgifts
In a small room a narrow but taller table makes the room look bigger
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:10PM
Since you've finally confessed that you don't eat at this table, I suggest you sell it on Craigslist and use this area for an office. The ladder shelves are very much an office piece IMO. Flank the mirror with the two ladder shelves. Put a slender desk on the longer wall. For entertaining, rent a table and linens.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:12PM
Elsa Torgersen
Thats a very cool piece, I'll be on the look out! We haven't really acquired many actual furniture pieces
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:12PM
Elsa Torgersen
Table is an antique passed down from my husbands great grandmother- just had it refinished. No selling :) And we don't have room anywhere else. Boo
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:13PM
aurorasgifts
Also I bought a table in overstock.com that was $100 but its only 1' deep here is a pic
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:13PM
aurorasgifts
Lets see the antique! Where are you planning to place it?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:15PM
Elsa Torgersen
its the table in the picture... my "dining" table. That comment was in response to decoenthusiaste
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:16PM
bmarie2012
I like the table if you really wanted to do something do a linen runner on the table and put the candles back on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:17PM
aurorasgifts
Sorry understood you had another table! Nooo dont sell that piece its beutiful and priceless
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:19PM
Elsa Torgersen
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm going to try a few things and I'll post some pics later!
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:19PM
aurorasgifts
Looking foward !
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:20PM
Cozy Casita
Working with what you have, I'd paint the entire room in that great ochre color ... In my opinion, an accent wall in such a small space doesn't work well and breaks the room up, rather than unifying it. .. I'd push those two shelving units together, off-centred to the right, and use a tall palm plant (real or fake) to the left, between the shelves and the mirror wall. Alternatively, lose the small mirrors, use a bigger piece of art between the two shelving units and change out some of the small photos for larger items, such as boxes (as mentioned) bigger vases and/or stacked books. Put the original tablecloth back on the table (if you love it) and you'll have a really cozy space ! .. I think it's more a matter of following through on what you started, since it's clear from the original table covering, cushions and chairs that you wanted to get a comfy look, rather than a formal one .. and I think those items actually showed some personality. Painting the rest of the room will enhance that little 'nest' feeling you started with the table setting and tie things together. I think it'll look sweet !
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 3:07PM
Elsa Torgersen
A curveball for you- the other end of this room is the green living room from my other discussion. I didn't paint that wall ochre because the other end of the room has such a dark green! Table cloth had both colors in it
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 3:24PM
Cozy Casita
Even more reason to go the whole way. That pale wall makes it look like you chickened out on your obvious love of rich colors ! :-)
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 3:52PM
Elsa Torgersen
I did chicken out :p
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 5:44PM
Cozy Casita
My comments keep appearing on the wrong threads this evening .. not sure why. Anyway, I've mentioned your room on a couple of unrelated pages so far :-0 (since deleted ! :-) and will try one last time here ... Grab that paintbrush and finish the ochre wall end of the room ! Love your green ... and the funky (in a good way) tablecloth. Yours is a pretty unique color combo that works really well and definitely has personality !
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 8:53PM
Elsa Torgersen
Problem is, there are literally no windows on that whole half of the apartment and I was hesitant to paint every wall a dark color :/ I'll take some other pictures tomorrow so y'all can see what I mean.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 9:03PM
Elsa Torgersen
This is where the dust settled... Just thought I'd update y'all! No doubt there is still work to be done, but this looks a little cleaner I think. Hope all is well!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:46AM
Help Wanted: Furniture Placement for Small Apartment
Hello, I would like some assistance placing furniture...
cyberstory
Small apartment, Big bulky furniture. Unbalanced look
Hi everyone, I don't have a lot of space in my...
jcharize
Need help for my small apartment
I have a small one room apartment downstairs. I feel...
mariovericat
Need help for small apartment open concept
We are moving into a rented small apartment and it...
brittneylau
How to integrate spaces in a small apartment living room?
Hi everyone! I´m Giancarlo and a live in Vitória,...
Giancarlo Zardo
Strange Roof Feature - Ideas?
I'm tying to come up with an affordable improvement...
nataz
Giving up on Dining Room Color
We have a 1910 house with a lot of wood. I do not...
ginamuto
Living room redo
We are redoing our living room, paint, new furniture,...
megkantar
Sun room help.
I have a sun room that is off my kitchen that i need...
franlsu
kitchen cabinets
How do I give my kitchen cabinets height?
Kameela Jackson