Curtain height
kittt29
Please help! I'm getting ready to purchase curtains for our new home. After reading a lot of the Design Dilemmas I thought I understood that the curtains should be hung as high as possible (barely touching the floor), but lately I've seen a few designers advise people to lower their rods. I want to get them hung right the first time (and buy the right length!). So is there a rule to follow? Most of my ceilings are 9 feet (except a vaulted bedroom ceiling), however the length of the windows varies in different rooms. Most of the rooms have a gap of 20-22 inches from the top of the window frame to the top of the ceiling, so do I still take the length all the way to the ceiling which would leave that 20" gap of wall showing when the curtains are open? Or do I go somewhere in between the top of the window frame and the ceiling? I hope I explained it clearly lol.

I know I'm way over thinking this but I just want them to look right!
sharonanable
Not that this may help but what is the overall look of the room? I see ceiling to floor curtains as more formal and lower rods as more casual. You can always start lower and if you don't like it, the repair is less likely to show when you raise them.
April 6, 2013 at 5:54AM   
kittt29
Definitely wont have any formal rooms, that's why I was thinking 9 feet of curtains would be a but much. I was leaning towards the 95" curtains which would put the curtain rods not quite halfway between the ceiling and window frame I think. Also if it makes a difference most of the rooms will use the curtains more to frame the windows/soften the room since I plan on having some type of window covering in them also (leaning towards a woven blind/shade) so I wasn't sure if that would change what would be needed. I just don't want to buy the wrong size curtain and then have to wait while new ones are shipping. I appreciate your help!
April 6, 2013 at 6:54AM     
leticia Brand
Please post pictures of the windows, that would help a great deal
April 6, 2013 at 7:20AM     
kittt29
We are moving into the house in about 2 weeks. I can take some pics later today, but they are just empty rooms so I'm not sure if that will help any. I will post them as soon as I can. Thank you!
April 6, 2013 at 9:05AM   
kittt29
The first pic is an office
Pictures 2 & 3 are the great room, pic 3 shows the door going to the deck and that is open to the kitchen also.
April 6, 2013 at 10:43AM   
kittt29
1st pic is the master bedroom with the vaulted ceilings. This one stumps me the most.
2nd pic is another bedroom and most of the other rooms have the same height between the window frame and the ceiling.
April 6, 2013 at 11:01AM   
kittt29
Any suggestions? Please!
April 6, 2013 at 6:05PM   
Madeline
If you do casual fabric and take them to the ceiling, right under the crown molding, they will not give a formal look. It depends very much on the choice of fabric. Most of the curtains available in 96" also come in 108" and these might need to be hemmed a few inches to just reach the floor. But since your windows appear to be sited at slightly different heights on the walls (please correct me if I'm seeing this wrong) the placement at the ceiling on all windows would add a uniformity that would be advantageous to the overall look.
April 6, 2013 at 6:22PM     
kittt29
Thank you Madeline! The bedrooms all have the windows at the same height, the family room and patio door are really the only 2 that really differ much. I plan to hang them at the same height in that area due to the open floor plan and to make it look even. The 108" aren't very easy to find, the 95" seem to be more common. Now I just have to find the right curtains lol. Thanks for your opinions!
April 6, 2013 at 7:46PM   
Madeline
@kitt29. If your ceilings are 9' feet that's 108 inches. If the molding for your windows starts at 20-22 inches down you won't be able to use 96" curtain panels. If your molding is 22" down that is exactly 96" inches and the rod is supposed to be hung a few inches above the molding. I forget the rule right now and of course there is a rule (made to be broken?) about these things. I think first thing you must measure very carefully the space from the top of your window molding and above to the floor and see what you have. I have 10' ceilings and in 1999 when I moved into my Florida house I could find nothing in 96" length, let alone 120". So I bought a cheap sewing machine and got a bunch of fabric and made my own panels. I even loved making my own pinch pleats. Now grommets are trendy and they're probably easier to do. Sewing curtains is not difficult, you might even call it fun and the end result is so worthwhile and satisfying. Good luck with your home lovely home.
April 7, 2013 at 12:33PM   
kittt29
Good point! I think I do have the measurements somewhere from the window frame to the molding. The only room that has that trim around the top is the family room and its not very thick. I'm going to buy a pair of both sizes for that room just to be able to visualize it better. I wish I knew how to sew! Growing up my Mom sewed a lot but I never did much. It probably wouldn't be too hard since I wouldn't need to get fancy. But with moving day fast approaching I need to get something up in at least a few of the rooms for privacy, even if temporarily. I am going to measure everything again when I go back tomorrow night. Thank you for taking the time to help me!
April 7, 2013 at 2:29PM   
JMittman Designs
I would not take the curtains all the way up in the bedroom--vaulted ceiling room, or the red room. Maybe split that difference, or go at least 6 inches above the window.
The first pictures you posted do not look like they have 20" of space above the windows? I'd take those rods all the way up. Don't rush into window coverings. You can buy those inexpensive temporary paper shades to put up till you make the RIGHT decisions.
April 9, 2013 at 5:48AM     
kittt29
Thank you JMittman! I forgot about those temporary, inexpensive coverings as an option until I can find what I need. You are correct and I wrote it incorrectly, a few of the rooms like the office (1st pic) and the living room ( the room with the molding) have 9" from the top of the window frame to the ceiling/molding. We have decided to use either woven shades or wooden blinds in the living room which will help with privacy, but I do still want panels to frame the windows.

Thank you to all that made suggestions!
April 10, 2013 at 1:24PM     
kittt29
Does this height look right for this bedroom? The side walls are vaulted and I didn't think the curtains should go to the ceiling? My fiancé will not move them at this point, but if it looks bad I think I can convince him down the road (an easy project turned into a more complicated swearing project!). Do the curtains/length look ok? Thanks!

First pic will be before they were hung, obviously lol
June 2, 2013 at 3:23PM     
JMittman Designs
They look perfectly fine to me! Is it an adjustable rod? Can you make it a little longer and push your curtains back a little more off the windows?--will make them seem wider. --you can lift a grommet over the bracket if needed. Cute pooch!
June 3, 2013 at 4:56AM   
kittt29
Thank you again JMittman! Yes, the rod is adjustable and we weren't sure how far our to bring them. I will slide it out a bit more. I appreciate your feedback!
That's my shadow, Shelby! She's my girl, always squeezing in the picture lol
June 3, 2013 at 6:15AM     
JMittman Designs
You are welcome. And it is Janet. ;-)
And I left my goldendoodle Lily on my pillow this morning..
June 3, 2013 at 6:52AM   
kittt29
Aww, makes you wish you could stay home with them!
June 3, 2013 at 3:11PM     
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Staircase help!
My husband & I just bought a 1930s bungalow. Currently,...
Need ideas for Party
My hubby and I are throwing a Spanish style party at...
Need help on choosing metal finishes for my new home
I am building a new house. It will have white kitchen...
Need help figuring out ceiling paint
We have 8' ceiling and are doing our walls revere pewter...