Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagelove

Kitchen cabinet refacing ideas - Need your ideas

cottagelove
7 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We moved to a new house a couple of years ago and at that time we changed the kitchen counter to a pretty granite but decided to wait to do the cabinets. We will reface the cabinets but I am confused about the color/tone/style that would go well with light floors and our existing tile I won't be replacing. We will replace all of the appliances. Our house has tall very pale blue ceilings 14ft and is very open concept with the same light floors throughout and creamy beige paint as is in the kitchen.

You are all so clever I look forward to your thoughts on what you recommend for this awesome space needing a facelift that will coordinate with the open and lighter feel of the house in general.

Comments (15)

• cottagelove
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have been looking at the kitchen photos and ideas on Houzz for inspiration. What do you think about two tone for this kitchen...colored or espresso cabinets on the bottom with white on the top and off to the right not in the picture is a desk/fridge pantry that could coordinate with one or the other or be different all together.

• cottagelove
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi everyone, your suggestions are needed ;)

• smit2380
    7 years ago

I think the two tone trend is going to look dated particularly fast. If you love it, go for it, but I would probably pick just one color.

• Heather Macdonald
    7 years ago
    I would go with the cream white of the trim. What is that wide shelf above the cabinets? If it doesn't have a purpose I would remove it.
  • User
    7 years ago

That kitchen is not a good candidate for refacing.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

These are 2 ideas for color , not sure why you are refacing I think you could just have them painted by a pro, not sure why Sophie is saying no maybe she sees something I don’t .

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Worlds cheapest poor quality thermofoil cabinets with no drawer stacks and terrible layout is what I see. You aren't changing that with very expensive makeup. Refacing is more than replacing. Especially if some of the actual deficiencies in the cabinets is attempted to be corrected.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

That problem is she just got new granite so layout ain’t changing and to be honest can’t tell from the pics what the doors are made of but you could be right in which case refacing is the only option

• Jillian - Interior design student
    7 years ago

I like your "two-toned" idea. Dark on the lowers, lighter on the uppers. Add several glass fronts to the uppers. Consider refacing the back of the peninsula as well. Add an area rug or two.

• joelegnater
    7 years ago

Unless you absolutely hate the cabinet design, painting is a great option if you use a professional. I agree that the shelf above the oven is an extreme distraction and not helpful to the overall look...removing it would be a good place to start.

• User
    7 years ago

No Pro would ever consider painting thermofoil.

• R M
    7 years ago
    The cabinets are indeed thermofoil....the same were in my villa when I bought it. I had the entire kitchen redone and the cabinets are now in the garage.
    However, many people here have had the cabinets refaced. To help you understand the process......new doors are installed then all trim is also changed to the new color.
    Everyone who has done this are content with the outcome.

I have an 81" vanity in the guest bath. The doors were replaced with maple painted in the shop to black. This man did two large matching mirrors for above the vanity. He also
    took the entire box to his shop to work on the side and trim.
    I am fortunate to have found this craftsman.

If the budget allows, taller cabinets would be nice in your
    kitchen. The shelf above is a matter of taste....I would like
    to see it removed. Look for a large piece of artwork instead.

Good luck with your decisions.
  • R M
    7 years ago
    I hate poor English....above I meant everyone IS
  • cottagelove
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks to many of you for giving me feedback on my specific questions as I do find your input very helpful and directional. Yes, the cabinets are thermafoil. I like the idea of matching the trim color with the cabinetry. I can see how using the two tone look may be trendy.

I recognize there are others who gave me their feedback and while I do not feel I can take action nor do I want to spar on my decision I do appreciate the desire to be helpful and respect the individuality of opinions shared.