OLLD 4/6
mpoulsom
April 6, 2013 in Other
Morning and Happy Saturday everyone!!!
astraea
Hi! I totally missed yesterday (LOL)!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 5:37AM
HI astraea - well it started slow, but then the taps opened and we got our usual chatorama - which is great. The world is at rights! How are you? I'm up in the mountains enjoying some sunshine but not skiing. Work and research beckons.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 5:57AM
astraea
I was out late Thursday, and up my usual time yesterday morning, so by afternoon I crashed! Also had my ISP over yesterday, because of the delays between the time e-mail is "sent", and when it's "received". Wound up getting a new modem, but I think the problem is one particular website, so I suggested they have their technicians check out their own equipment.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:08AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Good morning MP and Astraea.......it's Saturday and it's sunny out and warming up nicely.... should hit the mid 70's today. Wife is going to help me with the rest of the trim on the window closure. By time I haul out the equipment and get it set up, haul out the materials and make a few trips up and down the work platform, my leg is pretty well exhausted and losing any strength so maybe with her help today we can get it knocked out.

I think we're definitely going to be paring down our remodeling plans. Have been checking out some of the local listing and sales and such and they've dropped drastically from what they were when we started this big adventure. The other option is, since we really don't know how long we're going to be here (at least for the next 8 years......retirement age benchmark), we continue with our original plans with some minor modifications and enjoy the perfect nest for us for 8 years and take our chances that the market will improve and we at least break even...........hell, who knows maybe the Mayans were off (didn't carry a 1) and it all ends this year on 12.21.13.

Astraea don't worry about missing a day...........heck, I've forgotten whole blocks of days at times.......why just last week, I thought Thursday was Tuesday for some reason..........my wife just said, " I told ya to lay off smoking that cheap weed while I'm gone....."...........ha, shows how much she knows, I told her "it wasn't cheap....are you sure it isn't Tuesday....?"

Oh well...........you all have a good day, need to fix some breakfast and get moving...........behave all.

Adios Amigos .
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 6:12AM
astraea
STK - I meant I missed the day on Houzz .. not in general :)) Earlier this week, I thought it was Wednesday already, when it was just Tuesday .. very strange!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:19AM
olldroo
Morning all, - well all 2 of you - just about to hit the sack after a wet Saturday with the promise of a lot more to come. At least I don't have to water the gardens but the weeds are dying to take off I bet. At least it is cooling down too at long last although we may get to mid 70s too. And - even better - we get an extra hour of sleep tonight, although it puts me another hour away from you guys and I'll probably be talking to myself here more than ever.

Kutchie, do your house for you. Eight years is a long time, who knows the Mayans may have been wrong or North Korea might suddenly get something right and wipe us all out. If you can make modifications that can reduce your expense without compromising too much on what you want, sure, but otherwise do your dream home - you only get one shot at that.

I'm so glad I finally got my days sorted - for a good two months after Christmas I had every day as a Sunday.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:48AM
olldroo
Oops, sorry Antoinette, I missed you. Up in the mountains doesn't exactly sound like work.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 6:49AM
astraea
When did it become necessary to "accessorize" furniture? After watching programs about "Hoarding" on TV, and constantly struggling to keep stuff from piling up on my desk or in the kitchen, I'm thrilled to see the empty top surfaces of my furniture! The dining room table has a handpainted Italian tray I received as a gift .. with the sugar & napkin holder, the coffee table has a couple of books on the history of the towns in which I've lived, and the bar unit has 2 plates on display, that my Mom collected. Hate using the buzz-word "organic", but these "accessories" are just meaningful things I accumulated .. isn't that what home is supposed to be about?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:22AM
Astraea, where did that come from??????

Hi all! Another typical California day here. Temps to be in the 70's and 80's all week. We're gearing up for the oppressive heat that's due our way in another month or two. Got to find a way to cool down!!!
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 7:30AM
astraea
Bobbi - Guess I've been reading "design dilemmas", where people show a piece of furniture, and ask how to "accessorize it". Sometimes they've already got wall hangings behind the piece, and an assortment of chatchis on it. It's as if they can't tell by looking at something if THEY think it looks nice, cluttered or too barren.

I like all of my furniture, just by itself, I never felt a need to "add stuff" on/surrounding it, unless the "stuff" was meaningful to me.

Don't rub it in, that you have such nice weather .. we're not there yet!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:35AM
Hi Roo (or sweet dreams) do you change the clocks soon? My best friend was in Sydney last week for her son's wedding and found the 10 hour time difference very difficult to adjust to. We changed clocks last week, and then there is another change that makes it an 8 hour difference? Must be addled in my old age.

STK - sorry to hear about the market fallout. Long term planning it might improve and if you can enjoy it then do so. Hope your wife is better. Has she complained about your hairy legs in the nurses outfit? Keep well.

Astrea - there are people who will try to design their homes but get the wrong message from what they have seen. they are not designers. I agree my home is not minimalist but it isn't maximalist. I studied under a British Interior designer and had to do a workshop with her, learning how to decorate shelves. It was probably the hardest lesson I learned. You have to have a trained eye. Not too much and not too little - but still work some personality into it.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 7:35AM
Hi Bobbi - a quick hi as well. We have cold weather still, grey cloud and the flowers are three weeks late. Escaped up the mountain to find some solace in the sunshine. Will ski tomorrow to clear my head and keep my spirits up! Enjoy the sun and know other people are jealous
2 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:38AM
Astraea, I think the whole reason they're on Houzz is that they don't know - don't know if it looks 'designer', or don't know if it looks acceptable. My first decorating attempt in my first apartment - for me it was about balance, I only needed things to look 'right'. I ended up placing a Spanish oil painting next to a Chinese one. Today, that would probably be acceptable. But when soneone pointed out to me the error of my ways then I was so embarrassed!

Some Houzzers only need confirmation that what they've done is acceptable in the design world, while other Houzzers post pics not for advice, but to show off what they own. To me, those are the most annoying because here we are giving their rooms our best shot and they're not the least bit interested.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:41AM
I have a question - is anyone planning a vacation this year? R is trying to get rid of me for a week and I can take Amtrak to Reno but I'm not sure about going it alone.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:43AM
astraea
I'm kind of glad that my guests either think I'm doing a good job, or wouldn't think of telling me I made an "error" in decorating my home. I've been in staged & professionally decorated homes, when I was house-hunting, and sometimes it was very obvious, and felt more like a high-end furniture store/design center .. not a home in which people actually lived. Every day, I'm more grateful to my Mother, grandmother & other strong family members, that I don't feel a need for acceptance from the design world, to feel comfortable in my home, and unafraid to invite company over.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 7:48AM
Yes, if you can be comfortable in your own shoes (or house!) then you're doing it right.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:53AM
I wanted to show you all the olld boob light I bought. Why do I call it the olld boob light? Because it's hangin'!!!
4 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:55AM
astraea
That looks very similar to the light figure I have in my foyer (except yours doesn't have cobwebs on it). I wonder if you can design a house, where you can clean up using a garden hose inside (LOL)
2 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:11AM
It's too new to have cobwebs, give it time! A garden hose, funny, I knew this kid who worked at the movie theaters once, he wanted to put each movie room on hydraulics so after the movie ended he could just raise one end and have all the popcorn and soda cups slide to the opposite end. And then hose the whole thing down!
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 8:13AM
mpoulsom
hey guys! back at work and cannot wait to go home already! It's just too darn exceptional outside!

astraea....you should see how my father decorates his bachelor pad....scroll down towards the bottom of yesterday's post! lol!
you will freak! it's "hoarder accessorizing".....I have named it now! ;)
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 8:27AM
astraea
MP - Are you sure that was yesterday's discussion .. I didn't see anything near the bottom by you?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:46AM
Remember that tiny bathroom bobbi posted a while back…toilet, sink and shower in about 10 sq ft? That's what I want next time. Attached to the shower nozzle will be a power washer with a big (decorative, of course) drain in the middle of the floor.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:50AM
kimdee24
Good morning, all. My gerberas are crying because it's still snowing outside. (Or maybe because they ran out of water. That could be it too.)
3 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:56AM
STK, 8 years is a long time, in the scheme of real estate. We are seeing (MA) rising prices and less inventory. Keep going a little at a time; the best bang for your buck. We are way ahead of you in age, but when the market gets back on track, we will definitely sell this place.

What age group will you house appeal to? For the first time, we have realized that a handicapped bathroom will be important to us. We are both really active now, but one broken ankle or wrist could change everything. A gal in my walking group (we walk 4 miles every day) fell off a ladder yesterday and broke her wrist. After the swelling goes down, she will have surgery and be inconvenienced for 8 weeks. Her husband, out of the blue, was diagnosed with a rare atrophy, which progresses quickly. He was a marathon runner. Almost overnight they have become disabled.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:02AM
preds17
Evening from Japan!!

So I have to ask....how do you guys feel about the mirrors in design delimas "does this look right?" topic? BC I think they look AWFUL. Do I have a bad eye (totally possible) or are they awful? I know they love them, but I feel like her room could look great (even with the very light wood chest thing) if she would just get rid of those mirrors. And isn't it tacky to have mirrors with painting on them? Or whatever it is. Or is it "in?" It looks like junk you pay someone to throw out if your house. I don't want to be mean, so I came here. Lol Safe place to rant. :)

So tell me, do you agree? Or am I the loser who can't recognize great mirrors when I see them?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:17AM
kimdee24
I don't dig them. But it's not my house... I posted a photo of my completed bedroom, and got lots of advice and critique on the way I make my bed. I though it looked just fine, but apparently I wasn't doing it right, lol. To each their own.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:45AM
Hi preds, I feel most Houzzers are on here with limited budgets and they cannot afford to go out and buy a new high end item. So I try to work with what they have got. It does pain me, but I give my advice and then move on. If they are happier: great. But I don't want to make someone feel bad about what they have got unless they are specifically asking.

PS Not a safe place to rant - still a public thread.
4 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:50AM
mpoulsom
I forgot to say Happy Belated Birthday to Linda! soooo Happy Bday Linda! Hope it was great!

hey preds! no it's not exactly private...
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 10:04AM
kimdee24
Hm. I guess you do what you can in a tight space. I can't imagine having to go in there after someone has showered, though. Wet socks, etc.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 10:16AM
I renovated a house designed by a Saudi prince (don't ask I will post the article on it one day) - every toilet had "car washers" and a drain. But if you don't use them frequently the siphon dries up. Not nice... all gone now.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 10:56AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Judy that's so reality for me right now. This time last year I was getting around without any problems other than the daily muscle and joint paint that I've learned to live with and the lack of much stamina. Had to give up running years ago, but put about 10 miles on my bike daily and no problems. Then last spring I slipped in some mud and fell very awkwardly ending up with the stress fracture in my femur up at the hip. During the diagnosis and the treatment course, my doctor discovered that my ball joints at the end of the femur are elongated instead of round.... more like an egg than a ball. As he said this will lead to a greater tendency for the hips to suffer displacement as I age.and will eventual result in hip replacements for both. I think his later is going to much sooner than either of us expected.......right now after just a couple of hours working on the window closure trim, my leg and hip are killing me........heck just walking through the grocery store does me in.......this just plain sucks.

Luckily we're still in the stage where we can make some alterations to our design for accessibility. As the doctor said, each displacement has a compounding effect on the nerve and circulation down the leg, throw in the Acromegaly effects and the perfect storm is brewing that may very well put me in a wheelchair even with hip replacements..........inside the house isn't a problem as far as getting around.......everything is open now and the new bathroom design will accommodate wheelchair access if needed. The biggest problem would be the entry into the house.......our floor elevation is 36" above grade now and would require 36' of ramp run to make the transition if needed........we've nixed the idea of a deck out front in favor of a grade level patio just in case we do have install a ramp in the future..............always plan ahead at this age.

gonna take a power nap before heading back out..............laters all.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 11:44AM
kimdee24
Joint pain stinks, I can relate. I'm only 44 but my knees are 108 and 75 respectively. Too many knee surgeries from too many sports I guess. That's one of the reasons I moved out of my four level split to a bungalow. There will be a knee replacement in my future, no doubt.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 2:05PM
EZ, I know you rent. Is your landlord responsible for making the home accessible for you or do you make any additions you need yourself?

The two most annoying things I dealt with over an 8 week period in a chair, were the lip on the shower and no handles. If I do nothing else, next bathroom will be a roll-in with safety handles all over that bathroom.

preds, met a fellow today at the butcher shop who spent 4 yrs in Japan, Army.

Have you done the shrine sales?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 2:13PM
astraea
Eztia - Isn't it dangerous to put so much money into a rental? What if the owner decided to sell the house/building, and the new owner didn't want to rend?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:24PM
WOW…ez, not only is that a lot of information for us, but you must have spent an inordinate amount of hours making your place workable for you, while adhering to the rental boundaries. Truly amazed, but not surprised, as your posts are so focused and deliberate. Admire your strength.

I would love to talk more about how you manage. Sadly, this is not the venue. I have a good friend who could use your guidance.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 5:13PM
Walking tomorrow in Chatham, MA. I always think of roo when I do this walk. We could not be farther away from each other.

1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 5:15PM
Geez you guys, isn't getting old fun?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 5:46PM
olldroo
Aw, shucks Judy, thank you. It sort of does make the world a big place when you think of things that way.

Hey, Bobbi, BH might want to make a side trip with you - hehehehe. He got taken to see the Space Shuttle yesterday. Apparently they have the Shuttle Potty on display which intrigued the Little Bloke no end.

Kimdee, gerberas (one of my fave flowers) have a tendency to do that as well as turn their heads the minute you think you have perfect arrangement. Florists put a thin length of wire up the stalk and they stay perfect. You can buy packs of the wire, I think they are about 10 or 12 ins long.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 6:03PM
Linda
MP - thanks for the bday wishes. Yep, I'm another year closer to being an official OLLD--not just a trainee!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:03PM
Linda
I love gerberas too. Actually, this time of year, I love anything in bloom.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:04PM
olldroo
Astraea - this business of accessorising really bugs me, it is the sort of thing that makes decorating a snobby thing, like there is a right and wrong way to do absolutely everything - do one thing wrong and you are off the social register for life. There is decorating or not decorating and there is clutter and if two or more obviously wrong things are put together it stands out like a sore toe. But what ever happened to "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" - if you like something and you are happy to live with it and enjoy it then where is the wrong??? Who wrote the book on being wrong???

And Preds, I have to agree with you on mirrors. However, I think sitting back here all on my little lonesome, I have been able to observe the differences in countries and how people live in them. Mirrors in lounge/living rooms were in 50-60 years ago when homes were more closed in, rooms were daggy and generally overdecorated, but they are just not used here now - nothing like I see in photos here to the point I sometimes feel it is a "must have" accessory. Occasionally people might use one at a front entrance way, which makes sense for a last minute check before running out the door but other than bathrooms and bedrooms which is purely for practical use, you will rarely see one. Maybe we have such great light here - I note a lot of times recommendations are made to reflect light into a room, here it would be blinding.

Off my soapbox for today.
2 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 6:12PM
olldroo
Linda, sorry I forgot birthday wishes. Hope you are having a lovely day. PLEASE don't wish to be OLLD - it sucks and it gets kinda scary when you realise your days on earth are becoming limited.

ASV - yes we put our clocks back this morning - that was what I meant about getting an extra hour of sleep. Do you know what part of Sydney your friend was in?

Hahaha - are we ever going to lose that hand basin/shower/toilet combination - Bobbi's favourite. It was the first thing I though of when I saw the tiny shower recess in the flipper house yesterday.

I knew of a woman one time who could not cope with her day unless she had an afternoon nap. At 2pm every day she would close all her curtains and nap for an hour. I don't know how she did it, I would wake up like a zombie and be cactus for the rest of the afternoon/evening. Anyway she had a 4 year old who she expected to nap also but one day the 4 year old decided to get up and surprise mummy by cleaning the kitchen for her - went outside got the hose, turned it on and cleaned the whole kitchen down!!! All the electricals in the kitchen had to be replaced, the place was a mess - BUT next day she was back having her nap again. I don't think I would have be brave enough to ever close my eyes again during the day.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 6:26PM
Happy Birthday Linda! May you have 100 more :))
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 6:27PM
olldroo
Ez, when I had to keep my old vanity for economic reasons but hated to do so because of trying to get things from the back of the bottom shelves, I bought some nice baskets, pretty much the depth of the shelves and I use them as drawers. Easy to take out and clean too.

You can buy things like this - but they would probably leave marks where you installed them. I'm thinking of using them in places in my new kitchen if it makes a lot of saving on the cost of having drawers built.

[houzz=Rev-A-Shelf In-Cabinet Chrome Cabinet Organizer]

[houzz=Two-Tier Cookware Organizer]

[houzz=Chrome 2-Tier Sliding Organizer]
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 7:28PM
olldroo
Hmmm, that is a hard one, I'm sure I saw somewhere a cupboard that opened and shelves dropped down - probably super expensive. Could you put some of your lighter pantry things in the upper cupboard and move your day to day china down. If you just keep to your own personal daily needs, you wouldn't need a lot would you? I find with washing up after each meal, I pretty much use the same dishes over and over so don't need a lot of space for them. If you had anyone visit, they would only be too happy to get extra dishes down for you.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:21PM
ez, do you have an island in your kitchen? How big is your kitchen, would it fit a rolling cart that could hold your dishes? [houzz=Dwell Home - Kitchen]
[houzz=Rolling 3-Tier Cart]
[houzz=Råskog Kitchen Cart, Turquoise]
[houzz=Go-Cart White Rolling Table]
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 3:57AM
astraea
Roo – So true about mirrors! I grew up in my grandparents’ semi-detached colonial, and there was a fancy mirror hung over an antique washstand in the hallway, where the telephone stood, and a huge mirror attached to the wall of the dining room, with the table in front of it. Because the house was attached on one side, the dining & living rooms didn’t have windows, so the mirror reflected more light, and the rooms were separated by French doors rather than walls or solid doors.

Nice “gaining an hour”; we go thru that in our fall too!

A lot of my base cabinets have 2 pull-out drawers, and I’ve come to love them! I think I like that better than rack pull-outs .. wonder how they compare in price. I wish is was easier to adjust the height of the upper drawer, but I don’t think I could reach in far enough to do that. I’ve had shoulder problems, and wouldn’t want to strain anything.

Linda – Happy birthday!

Judyg – Yes .. join us on AARP, in our private OLLD Friends group!! Use this link to get to the group: http://www.aarp.org/online-community/groups/index.action?slGroupKey=de25c62b-69a3-48f2-8478-0f20a2989c86
It will tell you that you have to register first on the website. Then go back to the group & “request to join” .. it may take me a day to get the request & process it.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 3:58AM
Anyone recognize these sconces?
Hi I am crazy about these sconces does anyone recognize...
Induction slide in?
Any suggestions for a very good induction slide in...
Stripping test patch of paint off of unfinished pine
I tried a light color in one of the rooms in a new...
Need help with guest bath
I'm thinking about tiling a shower in the guest bath...