Need help on furniture layout for my living room
cielomanicad
April 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello. We just recently bought this house and will be moving in a few weeks. The previous owners will be taking everything you see in these pictures with them, so we will be starting on clean slate. I was thinking of putting the tv on top of the fireplace to give this space more room and since i dont really have books to put on the bookshelves, I could use that to hold some of the electronics that goes with the tv such as speakers, dvrs, etc. What do you think? Please help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stevette Dukes
The room appears to be long and therefore placing the TV above the fireplace would a long way away from the seating area or you cut the room in half.
To highlight that book shelf/ fireplace you could turn that area into the reading or conversation area by using two unique chairs and a small table and then use the remainder of the room for entertainment focusing that area on the TV. Just a thought.
I hoped this helped. It's a lovely room by the way!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 3:51AM
decoenthusiaste
One of my favorite ways to handle a long room is with back to back sofas and two seating areas. TV can go where current owner has the mirror and table. Use a credenza with it for gear. As for bookcases, style them with 1/3 books, 1/3 decor and 1/3 open space - no gear. Pick up books at second hand stores and yard sales. Remove the dust covers for decor, so pick jackets whose colors will complement the room.
Living Room
Traditional Family Room
Residences in DeBordieu Colony, Georgetown, SC http://www.houzz.com/back-to-back-sofas/p/8
Ideabook: How to Arrange Shelves with Style
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:47AM
cielomanicad
Thank you for your suggestions. The room does look long in the original pictures uploaded but i don't think it is that long in real life. I have uploaded more pictures to hopefully give you a better perspective of how big the room is. I will have to give the back to back sofa a try once we move in but i think the rooms might not be big enough for that layout. I also love the idea of a reading area by the fireplace. However, if I put 2 chairs by the fireplace, the other chair would block the french doors. Maybe I should put a chaise lounge instead?
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 1:51PM
Stevette Dukes
Yes, a chaise would be nice. I just think the area with fireplace and book case is nice it needs to highlighted as well.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:19PM
decoenthusiaste
Change the French doors so they slide instead of swinging. They can be pocket doors or can work on a track.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:02PM
ekc3502
I would put the sofa on the wall where the TV is now - the current set up blocks some of the light. You could then put chairs or a love seat on the wall with the console - this would enable the seating arrangement to view the window, tv (over the bookcase or fireplace), and the fireplace comfortably. You could put a lovely upholstered bench under the window for extra seating when you have lots of company.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:13PM