Still struggling with kitchen contrast
sstrazisar
Hi all, I posted a few weeks ago re: cabinet colors for my kitchen remodel. We have a lovely new mid-tone hardwood floor, and I don't want the new perimeter cabs to be too similar in color. Cream paint w/ a coffee glaze would be a good choice, but husband doesn't care for painted wood. He thinks it's too country, and we are more transitional. I too am usually drawn more to stains, but am trying to keep the big picture in mind. Attached are pics of current kitchen and cabinet samples. We will go with a black rubbed or dark stained island w/butcher block top, so the 2 dark samples are for the island. Do you think the mid-tone maple samples are too similar to the floor? I could go lighter in stain, but want to avoid the natural maple I have now (that's yellowed after 12 years). Or is the consensus to try and love the paint with a more modern cabinet profile?
Karen Smuland Architect, LLC
I think the painted cream with glaze would be great, and a refreshing change from what you have, which isn't bad!
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 8:19AM
Interiors International, Inc.
I would use the one you like best. They are all nice.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:21AM
shelleyuk
I think the mid toned ones are too close to the floor colour and would go with the cream or a white.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 8:22AM
Chroma Design
Your perimeter cabinets can be a combination of wood stains; repeating the stain color of your island. Done thoughtfully, this can add a dynamic look to your kitchen and incorporate the black appliances visually. I hope these give you inspiration.
Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.
Teri Turan
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 9:08AM
K B
Samples 3 and 5 are too close in shade to your hardwoods therefore much of the cabinetry detail would be lost.. Samples 1,2, and 4 would all work. Any cabinetry finish can look transitional depending on the style of cabinetry and the other finishes you choose (backsplash, countertops, lighting, etc.). Go through HOUZZ and add pics of any kitchens that appeal to you (and DH). Soon you will find what style and tone of cabinets that you are drawn to. Is DH against all painted cabinets or just thinks white painted wood looks too country? The latter is easier to deal with than the former. But if you really like painted cabinets there are many beautiful transitional kitchens on HOUZZ, and I'm sure you and DH could agree on at least one. This last pic is one of my all-time favorite kitchens on HOUZZ. The chandelier and a few other details strike just the right balance between modern and traditional.
Kitchen in Sandy Springs
Residence in California
GREEN with Envy: LEED Certified Whole House Renovation
712 W. Bauer
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 9:24AM
mo_mak
In making your choice keep in mind your accessories. Love the floor and think this should speak for itself. I would choose either the cream (yes, close to french provo in colour) however the floor accentuates the grooves, and think with the stainlessware fittings and accessories could very much have a contemporary feel. A friend did exactly this,and placed an above bench backboard with a shelf that matched the floor upon the backboard. It looks great displaying her wonderful eclectic mix of bowls and homewares........all functional as she is a great cook. Also I love the charcoal........think can do heaps with it......stainless handles and kitchen accessories and fittings look great with a gunmetal blue/charchoal. As for the other stains they will detract from that rich golden hue the floor emanates and willl just blend in. Let your beautiful floor have a "voice", so to speak. I did a quick mock up using your floor colour.....think the blend is gorgeous. If you have a large kitchen this would work well. Small.........I'd go for the cream.
2 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:28AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Thought I would send a few more transitional/contemporary photos to help you visualize wood stained cabinets with warm medium tones in flooring. In the first photo, there is just a slight contrast between them. In the more contemporary, very little contrast. As long as the color is in the same tone, don't feel as though you have to create a strong contrast. In my opinion, the sample at the far right could be a good choice for you. I'm wondering if the cabinets will actually have beadboard accent, or if the sample is just illustrating how a glazed finish appears.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 9:55AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
if you are going for a more contemporary/transitional look, you may want to follow the lead in these examples and make subtler/more simplistic choices in the finishes and add interest with stepped cabinet heights (like through the center portion between fridge and pantry going to ceiling) and lighting over your island. The two finishes between the island and perimeter cabinets could look less cohesive. I would also recommend choosing a classic cabinet door style.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 10:04AM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Hope these ideas help and good luck with your project!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 10:05AM
sstrazisar
You all rock! I'm heading back to the cabinet store to grab more samples, and will post them shortly.

K B, great question. Hubs seems to be against white paint, period. I showed him some pics of white cabs with mocha/coffee glaze that definitely weren't country, and he still doesn't care for cream/white painted cabinets.

Designers Choice, the cab styles we are considering would not have breadboard. The samples are just for color, as you guessed.

Thanks all for the inspiration pics and comments!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 10:05AM
sstrazisar
Ok, the last two samples are a lighter stain of maple with different glazes. They are still a step darker than natural maple, which is what I have currently. The 1st sample is the beautiful stain + glaze sample I put in my original post, but potentially too similar to the floor. The 2nd sample is penciled in as the island color, with butcher block. Also considering a dark honed granite countertop (maroon cohiba/antique brown) for perimeter, which may work better with these lighter choices?
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 1:58PM
Chroma Design
Here's a link to an earlier discussion I participated in. I love antique brown (cohiba) granite and showed 3 examples of it. I also lobbied for honed. The poster went with brown pearl which is rather similar. You may find the thread interesting because of the similar color considerations. The cabinets were close to the wood floor in color and looked terrific together. That said, I think sample 1 above is a great choice. The poster showed an "after", hopefully, this will help you visualize your space. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/288526/Giallo-Portofino--Classic--Granite
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 3:10PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
HI, at least have it looking high end looking with painted cabinets...with a hint of glaze-yes that would look good with that color you chose for the floors.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:24PM
D. Preston Construction
I think the painted cream cabinet with the glaze would compliment the wood flooring.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:39PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
The lighter finish samples really don't seem too far off from what you already have. Should you go that route, I worry that after the expense of new cabinets, your kitchen may not have the updated look you hope for. Also, unless you plan to enlarge the island, I wouldn't recommend a contrasted finish. Keep in mind very light or dark stained finishes are at extreme ends of the spectrum and can be somewhat trendy (e.g. Espresso is now the new dark walnut of the 70's). If you liked them, ivory painted cabinets would be classic. Yet, so would a medium tone stain either slightly lighter or slightly darker than your floor. Still voting for finish #1 over the others.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:24PM
Designer's Choice Interiors
Love Chroma Design countertop recommendations, as well!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:36PM
jccbaker
I think the cabinets you have are just fine. I've got mahogany-finished flooring and honey maple cabinets and I love them. I would try to stay fairly neutral with the cabinet and counter colors because that will allow you to change the look of the kitchen more often by changing the curtains and table cloths, etc.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 10:01PM
Can you help identify these lanterns?
We're building these pillars into our hardscaping and...
raised paver patio delimma
we have just put in a paver patio. The perimeter was...
What Color Island & Floor
This is the backsplash tile & granite (Giallo Ornamental)...
Young professional Rustic apt.
Hey guys I have always wanted the rustic/western style...
Need suggestions/help to Update kitchen on a budget!
House built in 1932, and kitchen remodeled in 1959...