Popcorn Ceiling Removal Help...
fromny2nc
Has anyone had a good experience removing old popcorn ceilings themselves? Any tips to make the job simpler? When I purchased my house last year, I thought I could live with the popcorn but as I begin to notice imperfections here and there I really have the desire to smooth the ceilings out. I just don't want to take on a project that turns out to be harder than I thought or will take forever to complete.
kimdee24
It's not hard to remove, assuming it's never been painted. Just takes a large flat edged putty knife to scrape it off. Messy job. If it's been painted previously, that's a whole other issue. Once it's down, it might need a coat of mud on the joints to make sure everything is perfectly smooth before you prime and paint.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:13PM
Cindy Quinton
I noticed Lowe's or Home Depot one have a tool that is a scraper and has bag attached that is supposed to catch most of the scraped debris. Has anyone tried it?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:29PM
fromny2nc
Thank you for your comment and this may seem like a stupid question but, how can I tell if it has been painted? Its all white and if you run your hand along it, the popcorn easily falls off.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:29PM
fromny2nc
Miss Cindy- I have seen that product also. It looks like it would help but from what I hear, the job will be messy either way. Some people have said, you practically have to tape or cover everything! Walls, floors, etc
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:31PM
Equinox Interiors
I did this for a client not too long ago; you must completely clear the room of all furnishing and cover the floor (Waterproof).
You will need a large pump action sprayer (You can pick one up at Home depot) and a wide blade paint scraper. Completely saturate a 3 to 4 foot area. Then gently, without digging into the drywall, about a 15 degree angle should do it, scrape the popcorn away. Try a small area, remember you are using water in a sprayer and you will have wet popcorn dropping on the floor and walls (you will need a damp rag to wipe any that hits the wall or trim if you have any) It will take a couple of attempts before you get used to it, then it's pretty much a breeze all be it messy. GOOD LUCK!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:32PM
Cindy Quinton
I don't think I envy anyone tackling it, lol.
2 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:33PM
fromny2nc
T&D thank you so much for the details! Sounds easy with the right prep but I'm afraid of doing a larger area such as a Living Room. Cindy- I feel the same way but this time, I'm the one tackling it!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:36PM
Equinox Interiors
Your welcome ! Good Luck !
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:49PM
kimdee24
@fromny2nc, if you can run your hand over it and it falls off, it's not been painted. @T&D, thanks for filling in the details.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 1:51PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
It's also easy to tear the paper tape at the corners where it meets the walls, and as mentioned before, you will probably need another coat of joint compound at the joints and nail holes, which in itself is a job for the pro's unless you want to add sanding for days to the project.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 2:36PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
when was the house built ? if built before 1981 it has asbestos and you can remove it youself theres strict guidlines to doing it you have to cover floor with 4 mil plastic with a foot left running up the walls you also have to drape the walls with plastic. you will need eye protection tyvek suit with a hood and shoe covers you will need to set up a area outside the room to take the suit off in order not to contaminate the rest of the home make sure to keep the texture wet all times wipe down the ceiling with wet rags when done you will need to dipose of it in black plastic bags and take it to a hazmat disposal site you have to place a sign on with your address if this to much to handle you will need to hire a company that does remediations of asbestos
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 2:53PM
fromny2nc
No the house was built in 1994 Rockin. Norm- that sounds like a lot of aggravating work!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 2:56PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
I've removed alot of popcorn ceilings and none of them were in "ready to paint" condition when the popcorn was removed.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 2:57PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
then yes you will need to finish the sheetrock after removal are the walls textured?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 2:59PM
fromny2nc
no the walls are smooth. Just nervous I'm biting off more than I can chew here..
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:07PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
I doubt that you will get a professional look, but flat paint hides a multitude of sins. Your friends and relatives won't notice the "trouble spots", but you will.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:12PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
hire a drywaller to finish it take in mind also that it is harder to paint with out leaving roll lines or thick lines if you paint it make sure you lay off the paint all in one direction
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:14PM
fromny2nc
That's exactly how it is now. My visitors don't notice, missing textures, spots, here and there but I do and its so annoying. Just trying to eliminate costs by DIY. Don't mind the scraping but I'm so scared I will gouge drywall or something.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:15PM
fromny2nc
when you say lay off the paint in one direction do you mean roll one side from top to bottom then the next line from bottom to top? Do you think a primer would help with the paint lines?
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:17PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
You wlll need a PVA drywall primer regardless.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:20PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
What I mean is roll it on normally and then roll the last pass all one way over lapping the last pass by 50%
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:25PM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
One more tip, when you go to wipe the popcorn residue off the new putty knife be careful or you will be taking a long break from your work.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:36PM
fromny2nc
Thanks you!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 5:51PM
Need help removing "popcorn" finish from ceilings
We have popcorn ceilings in the entire house. They...
cheryllstorey
Wood Ceiling vs. Drywall over a bad popcorn ceiling removal ?
Painter had trouble removing popcorn ceiling and it...
cynpanza
Ceiling Texture or flat? - Just removed the popcorn ceiling
I just removed popcorn ceiling from my kitchen/ living...
intelinside1
removing popcorn ceiling
I need to remove -replace or cove 4 rooms of popcorn...
mannyhadlock
Removal of popcorn ceiling and flooring (NYC)
Looking for recommendations for a reasonably-priced/affordable...
chewilicious
Dining table decor
Hi all I have a rather large dining table in my dining...
acsraac4
Backsplash Catastro-Clash
Our new kitchen reno is almost done. And hallelujah...
gduplessis
Must-Haves for New Apartment
So I'll be getting my own place soon, and I was wondering: What...
Eden Campbell
What chairs do I buy for the table??
Hey guys...this all oak dining table is finally done...
Sarah Strang