Wrought iron or white wood for stair remodel?
elysehhoh
I am buying a home with a beautiful stairway in the entry. The problem is the stairs are outdated. I know I want medium-dark stained Superior Alder for the handrail and posts -- but I am not sure what kind of post (I am not in love with box newell) and absolutely cannot decide between white wood or wrought iron baullisters (I hope I am using all of the lingo correctly). Any advice?
Rockin' Fine Finish
What's your budget look like that might determine what you use
April 6, 2013 at 8:25pm   
elysehhoh
Around $5000. From what I hear, the cost of having someone paint each piece of wood white makes wood about the same price as iron. If nothing is special order.
April 6, 2013 at 8:28pm     
elysehhoh
Could spend $6000. I have one bid for iron that is under $6000.
April 6, 2013 at 8:28pm   
K B
Two very distinct looks. As with so many decor decisions, if budget is not an issue, which will you enjoy more? IMHO white balusters are more classic and simply prettier. The key point being just that--it's my opinion. While I would never remove wrought iron, I don't think it's so remarkable as to go to the effort to have it installed. But again that's my opinion. It also seems you would have more control over the cost if you are just having the balusters painted, while it would be harder to gauge what add'l expenses you may have to incur if you replace them.
Alder handrail & stair posts
Custom stair posts
April 6, 2013 at 8:44pm     
Painted will be more classic, yet generic, for decor purposes. When you go for wrought iron you start tending to limit decor choices I think.
April 6, 2013 at 10:42pm   
Art Iron Works Inc.
With that budget ill do something like this.
For sure with time the wood baluster will start shaking. That happen to every wood staircase.
Plus with wrought iron the design options are endless. And it's forever.
April 6, 2013 at 10:59pm   
Art Iron Works Inc.
Like I said... Endless.
April 6, 2013 at 11:03pm   
Lisa Patterson Ŧ
I opted for the wrought iron rails in my new home. The reason being that they are easier to keep clean and do not show dust as easily. Their wear and tear is a bit better and their over all look is more elegant (in my opinion). One of my houses had white ones. With kids running up and down the stairs all the time I found myself scrubbing each rail with a magic eraser more often than I liked.
April 6, 2013 at 11:19pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Do a black rail with white wood balusters in high gloss from fine paints of Europe this look is very classic and very refined
April 6, 2013 at 11:30pm   
elysehhoh
I appreciate all of your thoughts! I have not thought of some of these pros and cons before.
April 7, 2013 at 6:37pm   
Flourish Design Elements
If you're looking for something completely different and unique for a newel post please check out our website www.flourishde.com. We do custom as well.
April 20, 2013 at 6:31am   
calamityjane4
It would beautiful and dramatic to paint the balusters a satin black and the handrail stained! I think wrought iron will date your home and it is becoming a "fad", since so many are doing it. When choosing a black, have it mixed with some dark brown, it will soften it. I have seen this done and it is stunning!
April 20, 2013 at 6:59am   
Brenda
I'll toss in a vote for painted. I can't help but think of all that 1970's bad iron railings when I see the new trendy wrought iron ones.

When in doubt, stick with a classic.
April 20, 2013 at 7:03am   
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
The wood would be cheaper and gives you a fresher look in the house. White.
April 20, 2013 at 7:05am   
elysehhoh
Great thoughts, this is very helpful. Those are very pretty newel posts.
April 21, 2013 at 7:32pm   
Lighting in kitchen
What is your opinion of using a wall sconce as lighting...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Where do your pets sleep in your house?
Do your treasured pets have a special bed just for...
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...
Need help with roof and siding color, also what style house is this?
We are purchasing this house and having some renovations...