Window Treatment ideas please!
pamroe
April 6, 2013
Any suggestions for window treatments for our family room? Just got new furniture and installed new hardwood floors. Needs some color and accessories!
chloehrinko
You could easily pull any of the colors in the rug out. Add solid curtains either white or blue. You can also add solid pillows or throws on the couch that are in the rug like the green, yellow, red, or blue.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 9:34PM
JWinteriors
To play up the transom windows, we have made curtains with one fabric beginning just below the ceiling to the bottom of the transom.. Then continue to the floor with a complementary fabric. Add embellishment between fabrics. Use a double width panel on either side of the window..covering more wall than window. The fabric will soften the room and carry your eye up, giving the room a grand feeling.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 9:37PM
JWinteriors
Personally, I would switch the love seat and sofa. The coffee table needs to run center with the fireplace.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 9:39PM
Keitha
If possible, I suggest that you replace the rug. Although it is lovely it tends to look as if it would be more appropriate for a bedroom.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 9:45PM
Must agree with JWinteriors and Keitha on both counts. Would replace the round, fabric table asap too. Do you like plantation shutters? Install below and leave the transoms open.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:02PM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
You have a lovely window, I would do long panels mounted on a rod above the transom windows. Make sure they are full not skimpy.
    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:04AM
pamroe
Thanks for the comments. Switched the sofa and love seat and coffee table. I like it much better. Will eventually get different rug but have to work with it right now. Not sure whether to do solid panels or some sort of design.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:03AM
For future consideration,, your bookcases don't have the stature to stand up to that wonderful fireplace.I
d replace them or have built-ins done that do justice to the massive FP.. You might try them either side of the window for now and flank the FP with the rocker and lounger for now. Think about a pair of club chairs to flank the FP down the line instead of the rocker and lounger. Glad you like the sofa switch. One tweak at a time will get you there!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:10PM
pamroe
I like your ideas! I agree with you and have had the bookcases on either side of the windows before and just may put them back over there. Built-ins are on my wish list:)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:34PM
pamroe
Decorenthusiaste I tried your suggestions and am trying a new rug. Any comments?
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:00AM
The rug is an improvement and the bookcases are much better there. Are you set for neutral? I thought you might try adding some color, but this one is much better than the bedroom style rug. Do you think the person sitting in the recliner would prefer to face the TV? I like the counter balance it provides, but know how guys can be about their loungers and TV. That's where you had it before, so maybe this is a mute issue. Have you thought about using some of the new window film on the transoms? I was thinking about a beveled glass look and then adding fixed panels on either end from a rod mounted below the transoms. Let's work on the mantel and TV cabinet decor as they are easier to deal with and not a big job.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:38AM
pamroe
The rug has more color than in the photo. Burgundy, black and a touch of blue/gray. I love the neutrals and then adding color with pillows and then some drapery panels. I like the idea of fixed panels on the side. I will have to look into the beveled window film idea that sounds interesting. Hubby is getting a larger TV to mount on wall and then we will get some sort of cabinet to go under it for DVD etc. I am open to mantel ideas. It could use a new paint job. Walls in room are Duron (now Sherwin Williams) Millett color. Thanks so much.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 2:33PM
pamroe
Also tried recliner on other side next to bookshelf and facing TV but it made corner very crowded and off balance looking.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 2:34PM
I can see that with the sofa and chair. Do you have any art or accessories around the house that I can't see? Sometimes you have something lurking in a closet that is perfect. Maybe you could take a pic of other items on and propped against the coffee table if you find stuff that might be used. Take a pic of the TV area too and maybe we'll find a new idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 4:54PM
pamroe
Good idea. I will work on that.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 6:30PM
anitajoyce
Lovely room. A nice solid rust color for the drapes or panels would be nice. ( the color in your rug.). This will give your space a nice pop of color to balance the nice neutrals. I would take the cloth off of the small table also. Replace the white throw to something in rust , brown or tan. I think you should leave either the wreath or just the mirror over the fireplace. The two things compete with each other instead of one of them being a focal point .
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 6:59PM
Ideas for window treatments please
These are my west facing great room windows which have...
curlycook
Window treatment ideas please!
What window treatments would suit these small windows....
adri19
Window treatment ideas, please!
Would like to do something on these two windows and...
Cynthia Hester
Need Ideas for window treatments in aquarium window
Please give me ideas on window treatments for this...
Jamie Bunkley
Didn't mean to send poll :-(. Need window treatment idea's please?
There is a difference in the color shade between my...
macguire
Please help..
I am in need of some help with my dining room. I...
design221
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Area rug, does it work?
Just purchased this area rug 8x11 and trying to decide...
criticalaoa
Room too blue?
Hi everyone, I've started re-doing my living room/dining...
dscar81
Does this work all together? Dining room.
Dining room that I am having a hard time getting right....
nessievjk