I'm getting ready to think about my giant wall that needs 'something' help!
docdawn2000
Front wall oft log home-- I need window covering and wall decor ideas please
1) My first question when I see windows into a forest is why you need window covering? Is it for privacy or thermal.

If for either of those, I assume you are somewhere where it is cold in the winter. A great idea I have seen is to add army/regional wool blankets as curtains either hooked directly into them, or using leather straps on wrought iron poles. (I'm based in Switzerland)

2) Wall decor. You seem to have a lovely view - that is your feature with those amazing windows. In the daytime you have the view and anyway the light will contrast with what is hanging on the wall so it will be lost. At night if you do blanket curtains, when they are drawn, that will be the feature.
2 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 11:39PM
Beautiful windows and view which I wouldn't cover unless utility bills get out of hand. If you need insulating qualities, there is room on the lower windows to allow for a stack back of drapery to open the view completely. Animal mounts are a great way to get a certain outdoorsy look. Our cabin has custom framed collections of arrow heads as decor. Also check with local Game and Fish office where they used to have free wildlife posters that frame up nicely. Not knowing your style, those are my log cabin ideas. A great chandelier would look good in your vaulted space. You can go classy too. I've seen cabins decked out like European palaces. Cronacher 11.jpg Living Room Fireplace
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 5:21AM
Cindy Schneider
Beautiful!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:22AM
what a dramatic entrance ! I am more concerned about what is happening in this space. Does one comes directly into the main living area ?
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:09AM
Kivi
I would not be inclined to cover any of the windows with any sort of window covering.
It looks like there are some areas of the wood that have stains of some sort...or is it just the way the picture looks?
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:27AM
torontojeff
It's a beautiful cabin. If it's on a lake, than you may want to incorporate some type of nautical theme. I'm thinking you could use something above the door under the second row bank of windows like an old oar, or something I want to try, take an old dilapidated canoe and cutting in half lengthwise and mounting a "half hull".

You could put curtains on the lowest level so would be burglars can't take an easy inventory but please leave those top two rows uncovered. They're beautiful!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:41AM
pivoines
The cabin ceiling is not finished, so I assume it is still being built, what will you do up there ? Is this your principal property or a cottage, what is your favorite style ? traditional or modern ? we need more info , please elaborate on your lifestyle a bit , then we can do a better job in helping you, thanks .
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:06AM
leelee
Are you planning to hang a chandelier in your entry? That would be my first recommendation. That's going to need a very long chain since you'll want the light positioned no lower than the top of the doors and no higher than the first windows over the doorway. These are examples of large chandeliers in wrought iron. I would not cover the windows. They are they art for that wall. I love the terraced effect on the ceiling.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 8:10AM
JMittman Designs
Please tell us more about your needs for the window coverings. Privacy? Insulation? Sun glare?
Fabulous looking room!
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 5:55AM
brody1313
I would not cover the windows........can you put heating under the floor
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 6:07AM
jdforney
Did you post this just to make all of us jealous? Ha ha ha! Seriously, this looks to be a beautiful home in the making.

How will the ceiling be treated to cover up the insulation? How tall are these ceilings? What words would you use to describe your style? What will the room be used for? I see there's a deck off of this space, too. What kind of light do you get here and at what times?

The windows have such lovely details that I would hesitate to put any coverings on them. Your furniture will dictate the style if you do need some lower window coverings (for privacy at night or sun glare during the day).

A log cabin can quickly go from charming to tacky & predictable. My style is very modern, so I see 5 stunning light fixtures hanging from that massive ceiling. Think Lindsey Adelman she's in NYC & is my favorite lighting designer as the designs are all hand made with blown glass, brass, ropes, etc. Amazing.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:07AM
michigammemom
I personally would not obscure the view with window treatments. However if you have a western exposure with full afternoon sun and you need glare control or you wish to protect your furnishings from fading, take a look at 3M window films. Your soaring ceilings and massive sense of space beg for large scale lighting. I particularly like the rustic collections from Hammerton. If animal mounts are not your taste, you might consider using a vintage Pendleton blanket as a wall hanging.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:46AM
bevballew
I see no reason for window treatment except if you want something just on the lowest level some valance.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 7:01AM
carolins
If you need window covering for some reason, you could perhaps consider shades that are remote controlled.
Hunter Douglas has great solutions for differently shaped windows. Honeycomb will also insulate if you need that.

Or you could perhaps think about outside mounted screens or shades.

Impressive room!
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 7:15AM
Go Nautical Collections
So much space to work with, you can do a lot, it's up to your imagination.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:58AM
SOLARIS
Fantastic entry! You should investigate www.enerlogicfilm.com for fade protection and year-round energy efficiency. If you need the privacy on the lowers some shades or the wool blanket idea would be my choice.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 6:59PM
Alaska Elite Trim
If you haven't found a solution yet... this might help.
0 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 2:34PM
bevballew
Post over a year old.
0 Likes   November 16, 2014 at 4:42AM
Dining room Makeover
I am remodeling my dining room and need suggestions...
cinwalk
White kitchen cabinets
For those of you who have white kitchen cabinets and...
Denise Howard
Outdoor fire-pit sitting area flooring ideas
Trying to find a DIY flooring idea for new fire-pit...
cwgilmour
Paint color for fireplace wall
Hey! We are putting our house for sale next month....
rozannebass
rredpenn