How to furnish this room!?
jimmianne
For 12 long years I have lived without a real couch or coffee table because there just wasn't enough room. I just added 6 feet to the room. I would like a sectional - I think, but hate to fill up the room. It is a rustic-chic farmhouse.
The walls are cream, the windows are dark blue like the wood stove.
I am looking at an Ikea sectional and bought these pillows on Etsy yesterday.
Any comments or suggestions?
I love that view, and I love your window. Congratulations. However, your gut instinct is speaking - I think a sectional would not work and would lose you all the space you have spent so much working on.

I keep looking at that iron sofa in your room and thinking how well it reflects the windows. I wish you could find something similar to keep the lightness.

I will bookmark and see if I can find anything that preserves the lightweight feel and respects your new design
6 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:55AM
sixteen fourteen
WHOA! That window is so beautiful! I'd love to see some other pictures of the room. I agree that the iron sofa complements the window beautifully, but it is not cozy at all. The chair and ottoman look very comfortable, but too heavy. Maybe you could do a sofa (instead of a sectional) and slipcover the chair and ottoman? I can't wait to see what you do with this awesome space!
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:07AM
dbyang
You have several modern elements in this farmhouse room: the windows, the sofa, and table. Lose the chair/ottoman, and replace with light benches that can be easily moved around and re-arranged as the needs change.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:17AM
Kivi
If a large sectional couch gives you a cozy place to relax and enjoy your newly expanded space...then I don't really see why you wouldn't get one. Isn't that one of the reasons you expanded the space in the first place?
I agree with others....that's is a Fantastic window!
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:35AM
jimmianne
Thank you for all the helpful comments. I have my builder to thank for that window - I showed him a photo of an metal industrial window for inspiration.
Kivi - that is exactly why I made the space! Maybe if I got a sectional with legs instead of a skirt it would seem to fill the room less but still have a comfy place for reading or having friends over. Ikea makes a sofa with a chaise.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 7:07AM
What's Inside Design Ltd.
I really like the example you just showed above! This is not a large 90 degree sectional like I thought you were referring to. I think this would look lovely backed slightly into your window wall, with your current sofa opposite to it!!! My only concern would be if the second lounger (on the right side) would interfere with your stove. Is it an option to have the lounge on the left only?
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:18AM
pivoines
Jimmianne I think you have great instinct, the skirt less sofa would be perfect and work with the room, I love the blue and white cushions and I suggest you get stripe blue and white fabric to cover the mattress of that two seater (imitating mattress ticking fabric) and reuse it in the room , it is so original, it would be a shame to eliminate it. I think it will look fabulous, good luck.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 7:32AM
What's Inside Design Ltd.
I put together a couple of ideas for you. Good luck and have fun! Your space is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Caroline :)
Oh, and that's the same sofa...it does come with the option of only 1 lounge!!!
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 7:36AM
Instead of putting one against the window, could you consider placing them perpendicular? Just to keep that visual expanse open
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 8:19AM
Gerald MoragneEl
The window and view are beautiful as well as the stove. I would definately go sectional. Please consider a leather sectional against the left wall on the wood that curved like an "L" but would not protrude near the stove. In the area by the window, two beautiful chairs and some plants. For a coffee table use a rustic but classy chest and store a few covers. An area rug where the couch is and a flat screen tv on the right side of the stove . Finally a few pieces of stacked wood by the stove and top it all off with some track lighting on the exposed beams. It will be two distinct areas yet that are unified.
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 8:41AM
You have created such a lovely and charming ambiance with your iron daybed placed in front of your beautiful new windows! You must now select very carefully to complete the room. I love the Etsy pillows you have chosen and think they could live happily every after either on the daybed or on this Ikea sofa shown below. If the sofa can be from another store, I also like the Room & Board velvet sofa below, which comes in many fabrics and 3 different sizes.

To go along with your rustic chic look, I like the wicker chairs shown below and would add two of those.

On your beautiful floor, you could place a cowhide spattered with silver paint. You might even create your own with a cowhide from Ikea. You could actually use 2 rugs, with the cowhide in the new addition area and a different rug under the sofa and the 2 chairs. When I was at Arhaus, a furniture store new to our Austin area Friday, I was impressed with the comfort underfoot and the good looks of a jute rug. The one below is from Ballards and I don't know how it feels underfoot, but I do like the look.

IKEA STOCKHOLM Sofa
Set of 2 Amalfi Wicker Arm Chairs
Cowhide Rugs
Diamond Weave Jute Rug
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 8:46AM
Here's the Room & Board sofa which I failed to attach to the above posting, plus a coffee table to go in front of it. Loring Sofas Plank House Coffee Table
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 8:48AM
brody1313
You seem to like a nice clean contemporary look.....I would do a white sectional which would look great and take out all the other items in the room.....love the iron daybed, but in my opinion it would be too much with a sectional.....a new sectional would need to be the focal point...........use the iron bed elsewhere.....you have a great room,if you try to work around the iron daybed now, you will always be trying to work around the iron daybed....good luck
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 9:04AM
dianahb
Wow-- I love absolutely everything about this room. Would love to see some different views, but the only thing I'd add is a beautiful area rug in there in the middle somewhere. That's it. From what I can see, everything else looks perfect. I love it.

I have never liked coffee tables. I find that I just bump my knees on those things and run into them all the time. How about a beautiful leather ottoman? But I think a coffee table would interfere with the clean modern look you have here. Really love the space.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 9:26AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, I think to make the most of this room you should think very differently. A loose open floor plan and casual pieces would go a very long way toward giving you pleanty of comfortable seating and surfaces. Chairs, ottomans, footstools, small tables and trunks can all do double duty as seating and storage. Assymetrical placement and low profile furniture. You might find inspiration by checking out the interiors of Axel Ver Voordt, John Saladino, and Nick Haslam.
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:35AM
joekaye1955
Awesome space pick your area rug first and then it will tell you visually how you want to go with the sofa. I see a area rug with a little black to to bring the window colors and then blues and greens. Try covering the chair with a light blue sheet and get the color feel from that.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 9:40AM
I would want to sit and look out that window! I can't tell what is black on the wall? Window just covered up for the picture?

Sectional, leather, with the back facing the camera. Chaise piece running along the wall, under what I think is a window. A huge round tufted upholstered ottoman with the ottoman tray. If you must have a rug, just a seagrass under the ottoman. Show those floors on the diagonal.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/bd/245632?SourceCode=BDGOO46&cm_mmc=mer-_-cse-_-houzz-_-prod-feed&mr:referralID=d
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 9:51AM
dianahb
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design-- You are spot on. Perfect.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 9:55AM
Brianna Johnson
I like the IKEA couch you showed above. With your giant window, I think it will make everything feel nice and airy!

You may want to add a couple of pieces of art on the walls. Here is some of my photography if you want to check it out! :)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyLittlePlunder
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 10:12AM
jimmianne
wow - what great energy. thank you so much to everyone. It will take a bit of time to process all your ideas.
I am discovering how helpful Houzz forums are for building a look. I feel that with your help I am going to end up with something great that's much more holistic than I could ever imagine by myself.
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:30AM
jimmianne
Judy G - the black space is a painting [see photo].
Carolyn AK Design - I love that cowhide rug. what a statement piece!
Jeffery B. Your idea of loose and casual is very appealing. I like to move my furniture around often, from room to room, function to function. Now to get to work. If anyone knows about the quality Ikea upholstered products, please let me know.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 1:35PM
jimmianne
My first pillow - this one from Studioaire at Etsy.com arrived! A good omen of things to come. I will follow up on comments and post more images soon. [and thanks again to everyone].
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 6:56AM
Zarin Fabrics
Very Nice!
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 11:58PM
jimmianne
I started thinking that a backless settee, [that lovely one from Restoration Hardware], would be good in the window, then started playing with furniture I have to see what kind of arrangements work. It's starting to feel right to me - maybe I can take a few days off from obsessing about the room, just enjoy it and worry about "the right stuff" later.
: )
0 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 9:18AM
dianahb
I like the settee a lot and think it would look great in your room-- but I really really like your original photo, where you have the seating arranged on the diagonal. From my perspective, it really showcases the window, too, and just seems to make the room flow better somehow. To my eye, when you put it in front of the window, you literally block that space and view, and-- oddly enough-- that seems to close in the room. All this from viewing only onscreen, of course, but your diagonal placement in that original photo is inspired for this room, inviting you in-- for sitting, or for gazing out the window, or both. Placing the seating in front of the window like that, not only blocks the outside from view, but -- when sitting-- your back would be to the window as well. Of course, this settee wouldn't have a back to it-- but, still-- that window is amazing, and I just love the way you have that placed now (as in original photo).
3 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 9:32AM
jimmianne
Dianahb, thanks so much. I appreciate your input. I like the dynamic quality of the diagonal seating as well and I don't like blocking the view. One problem is finding a place for my mother's antique crewel wing chairs in my tiny farm house. onward! Good thing I love my hobby of moving the furniture around "quite often".
0 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 9:41AM
Karlstaad sectional at ikea = great function. Also, you will want to know about Bemz. For those of us with ikea slipcover furniture - review bemz.com before you buy - they make ikea furniture slipcovers, so choosing a profile they cover automatically expands your slipcover options. Have had ikea slipcover furniture for many years - must endorse durability and quality. Also, karlstaad comes with unfinished legs, so you can easily darken the stain, paint them dark blue, silver - personalize.
1 Like   April 13, 2013 at 9:48AM
dianahb
jimmianne: Well, I love this room-- so I'm betting the rest of your "tiny farm house" is incredible. I'm ready to move in that room right now. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to find anything that needs fixing in the original photo. The only thing I would add is a larger area rug, and that's it. It's gorgeous.
1 Like   April 13, 2013 at 10:01AM
I, too, prefer the daybed in its original position. I loved the unexpected location of being partly on the new floor and partly on the old. I'd put the cowhide in front of it in that location.
0 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 10:52AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, I have not seen any photos of the far end of this room so it's tough to orient furniture placement from what I've seen so far. But looking at the images so far I have a thought for you. Have you considered a different orientation for the wing chairs? Instead of a "static" grouping which you have now, I'd try floating the wing chairs out in the center of the room. If they were facing each other (not "perfectly face to face" but just slightly off) with an ottoman between, they would take on the form of a daybed or chaise. The ottoman could be an upholstered cube or drum. This can carry a tray when needed for placing drinks and such. What I'm suggesting would build a conversation area without droppin a loveseat or sofa there. It would allow the view to remain open from both ends of the room too. Then on the wall where you now have the small bookcase, slide the bookcase toward the windows. This will give you room to place an armless two or three seater sofa. You can use a garden seat on the near side of this for an interesting table. If you like the idea, I'd then add a slender floor lamp about 5" tall with a discrete light in the arm (in other words, no "traditional lamp shade.) Your bouliotte lamp with the black shade would sit on the bookcase. A group of small art works mixed with a mirror above the armless sofa.
Hope all is well with you and best of luck.
1 Like   April 13, 2013 at 11:33AM
jimmianne
I'm laughing - this is certainly a furniture moving day here. I am posting all four walls of the room. As you can see there is little room for furniture placement - a door or window on every wall.The depth for furniture on the big mirror wall is only 18". The wood stove wall has almost no room at all. This lack was the motivating force for the window add-on. The wood stove is opposite the day bed, and the big mirror is opposite the new windows.
1 Like   April 13, 2013 at 12:32PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
How is it going?
1 Like   April 15, 2013 at 6:37AM
jimmianne
I'm on a decorating vacation while recovering from having looked at photos of furniture non-stop for weeks. I placed old furniture about where the new will potentially work and am seriously thinking of having www.reinbarnation.com build shelves on both side of the wood stove using grayed antique tobacco barn lumber. I went out to the lumber studio this morning and it was fabulous. He also has beautiful old barn doors [that he turns into coffee tables] which has me wanting buy a door or two for something.
Will post the finished room in a while...and thanks again.
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 1:44PM
KShoa
I would face the seating area towards the window (I'm sure others have already suggested this). And add a rug.

If you'd like some art for those walls, take a look at my work. I have hundreds of configurations of canvas prints and originals here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa Many sizes aren't listed so ask if you're interested. Good luck!
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 1:53PM
Brenda
that room has great bones -- can't wait to see how you furnish it!
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 1:54PM
jimmianne
Kshoa, thanks! I'm a professional artist and usually showcase my current work in my home.
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 1:57PM
dianahb
jimmianne: I'm green with envy. That all sounds so wonderful. I love the idea of grayed antique tobacco barn lumber. Here in tobacco barn country, I'm not sure I've seen that before-- but now I'm going to look for it. That will look amazing. And I LOVE sliding barn doors.. You should just use them for a door or two, though a coffee table sounds good, too. ;) We had a 1927 building (detached garage and potting shed) completely renovated for my studio a couple of years ago-- and in the potting shed, the original owners put in heart pine flooring (guess it was for the taking back in 1927)-- The carpenters couldn't save enough of it, but what they did save, I asked that they make a sliding barn door for me. And it now separates the work space from my office. Here's a picture from early days, before I moved everything in. There's a great piece on barn doors on Houzz, I think, which is where I got this design-- though I reversed it. I like it so much that I keep looking for places in the house where I can use one.

Please post pictures when you're done.

A little update-- thanks for that link. You must live near me. I've never heard of reinbarnation, but I'm going to go by there sometime soon; thanks.
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 2:06PM
Rustica Hardware
We offer a huge variety of barn door hardware if your planning on going this route. See: http://rusticahardware.com/hardware/
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 2:56PM
Add 2 chairs in front of window. Lose day bed. Buy sec and place on wall opposite of stove. Pillows are great get many. Also a round coffee table. Add a couple of silk palms on either side of chairs. Place table not to high between them. Pick a color from pillows for fabric on chairs. Make big and cofty. The plant you have now, move outside. Not working. Silk is way Togo.
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 3:03PM
Mike BROUSE fine art
original artwork is always preferred over prints
1 Like   April 22, 2013 at 9:08AM
jimmianne
The living room is done! Just need to add a couple of George Nelson Cigar wall lamps that are on order.
1 Like   July 26, 2013 at 4:48AM
Family room turned great room, how do we furnish?
I have a room adjacent to my kitchen and kitchenette...
How to furnish a room!?
I have my living room. It is currently furnished with...
How would you furnish this room?
I need help with furniture placement for this room,...
Would love some advice on how to furnish and arrange my front room.
For a girl who loves to decorate, I'm not very good...
tile and/or wood floors
We are about to start renovations on property in Central...
Advice on furniture and colour choices
I am trying to decorate my house which is currently...
One shelf or two?
I can't decide on one shelf or two also the correct...
Need help with kitchen redesign
Hi - I was hoping to get some ideas on how to redesign...
garage
Need to cleanup and remodel my garage