Need help turning an "office" into a craft room
lorraine1949
April 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a small room, apprx. 12 x 12 we have been using as an "office", just a place for the printer and computer. I would like to have a craft room. I do a lot of scrapbooking, needlework and jewelry. The large window in the room extends to within 15" of the floor. How do I design a space without blocking the window? Opposite the window are french doors, so I only have 2 usable walls.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
apple_pie_order
Will the printer and computer be staying? How about the desk and chair? The desktop looks too nice for cutting on. Will you be the only user of the room?

For furnishings, I would plan for one full wall of standard closed-door bookcases such as Ikea Billy Bookcases. The interiors can be adjusted to suit your storage needs. Then get a worktable and chair with wheels. Ikea has online cabinet design service you can do yourself. Add a comfortable upholstered chair for needlepoint with a good quality Ott Light or reading light with a Reveal bulb to help with seeing fine detail. Good overhead light is a must.

Choose a beautiful piece of art, new or something you have already, and take the paint colors from that. A neutral white or off white will be better than strong colors because reflected light can distort the colors in what you are working on. Very pale tints should be fine.
April 7, 2013 at 7:34am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
lorraine1949
Thank you. Great ideas. Printer & computer will stay, but not the desk. I am the only user.
April 7, 2013 at 8:02am