What to do with oak trim?
Kristen Johnson
We bought a new house and it has all oak trim around windows. We wanted to paint a neutral color and went with Sherwin Williams "Bagel". I don't like the dark trim, seems dated to me. Is it sacrilege to paint oak trim white?
How old is your house and how thick is the trim? IMO it is a sacrilege to paint substantial antique oak trim if it is original to a historic house. OTOH, if your house has builder's grade oak from, let's say, the 1980's or 90's, then paint away! But dark oak trim can be quite lovely and can create striking contrasts. Unlike honey oak trim, darker wood trims are in style at the moment as well. Plus painting trim is a big job, so consider carefully before launching into a painting project, even if your trim is not historic.
April 7, 2013 at 10:03am   
Kristen Johnson
built in 2007. Think it's more like honey oak. I just tend to like the fresh look of white trim...but if there's a way to make it look nice with room color, I'd love the ideas...
April 7, 2013 at 10:21am   
Okay, so with a 2007 house you can either paint the trim or not without feeling any guilt. I think that soft gray-greens and golds, as well as creamy whites, can look great with honey oak trim, but it all depends on what looks best with your furniture.
Mt. Shadows
Arts and Crafts
Madrona Residence 02
5126 Fairglen
April 7, 2013 at 10:23am   
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Exterior material choices...
Hi houzz friends, we purchased a very simple colonial...
Draperies?
Hi Everyone, My husband has a terrible time sleeping...
Entryway revamp question.
I want to replace my 36x83 front exterior door with...
Need help with master bath design/layout
Master bath is 18' 8" x 10' 4" if I take one of the...