Exterior siding Paint again OR vinyl siding?
Joyce Kelley
Hi,
1914 painted multiple times, wooden shingles, cost about, $12-15k to repaint all exterior, including porches, trims, shutters. OR do I vinyl side with a certain teed type vinyl shingle cost about, $24-$27k If I go vinyl siding route, do I have the entire exterior 1914 singles stripped off or just side over the existing siding?
Tight budget, single mother, will be keeping my house, hopefully passing down to my children once mortgage paid off. It's a 2family, I don't mind holding off, saving for the correct choice as this is my long term home. No plans to move ever. Color choice is also been tough, there's stone foundation along bottom, I like simple, streamlined, clean look, keep gravitating to ivory or white exterior with black or darkest green almost black shutters. Located in Massachusetts community 45 minutes outside Boston. I had chimney be built last year, all trees, $6k worth cut down that were crowding the house with limbs, shade, now brighter, less possible tree damages to roof and exterior. Roof according to roofer has 7-10 years left, it's got 2-3 layers and is about 30 years old with 50 year shingles.
What's my next smart choice for 2013....2014 exterior work on my house?
Thanks all for your expertise and assistance, even though I'm a real estate professional, it isn't always easy making the correct or most 'sensible' choice in my own home!!
Rockin' Fine Finish
Do not put on vinyl on this home if you plan to live there forever it will cheapen the home . I understand trying to find an economical way to up keep the home . There are draw backs to vinyl limited colors it fades after 6 years depending on exposure it also devalues the home . How often do you have to paint? A good paint job can last up to 20 years
April 7, 2013 at 10:43am     
Joyce Kelley
It was a good stain job, we opted for stain by good painter - lasted 9 years until it began to peel, lift in some areas, 12 years now. I'm looking for low maintenance to exterior. Why do you think the certain-teed type shingle look vinyl is a poor choice? I do see houses every day, agreed vinyl also needs work such as power washing (it always shows a green mold look) if not power washed. My color choice would be ivory or white to help make the fading issue a non-issue...well that's my thought on the fading. Bigger concern is 'non-breathability' of vinyl product of wood. Other houses in my neighborhood have gone to vinyl siding both clapboard and shingle vinyl look, can't tell its vinyl the one's that chose the more costly shingle siding look (that's what I would do).
What paint lasts 20 years? Most in my area top out at 10 years, most typically home owners here paint every 7 years. New England has harsh weather.
Your thoughts?
April 7, 2013 at 11:54am   
Ironwood Builders
Vinyl siding of any type will hurt the value of your historic home. While you are looking for low maintenance, the siding industry will tear the heart out of your home...they will lop off bits and pieces to make their job easier and leave other parts absolutely untouched...like the columns and handrails...which will always need attention. I have found that an ocean side home will do considerably better with an acrylic based system of prime and two finish coats.
April 7, 2013 at 12:08pm     
Rockin' Fine Finish
so do we here in the pacific north west. with old homes the problem is that there is so many coats of paint on the siding that eventually it gets to thick or if the layers below are subpar. Paints that last longer aura from benjamin moore manor hall from ppg. If these paints are applied correctly they have long lifes. Sometimes the substrate has to be stripped to start over with clean siding. If you want to keep the integrity of the home change the siding to hardie it will hold paint alot better than wood. Vinyl in my opinoin looks cheap especially in a place like new england that has such beautiful historical homes. When you drive fast by a vinyl home you cant tell get up close and you can tell or drive slow enough and you can tell you can see all the overlapped joints and the plastic look . i do understand the economics. Here in the seattle when the cedar sided homes where switched to vinyl now the vinyl is being switched to hardie. Its my two cents on the dilemma the breathability i dont know but vinyl has had its problems too.
April 7, 2013 at 12:11pm     
Joyce Kelley
The painter who did the job 11-12 years ago, used a stain on the body of the house Ben Moore and painted trim with Ben Moore. He did tell me Aurora Ben Moore is his choice for my house this time. He also told me its supposed to last a long time, but he won't know that for sure for another 3-4 years, since its a fairly new product. He did mention possibly sanding down, 2 prime coats then Aurora BM paint (not sure how many top coats). So you both think stay away from certainteed type siding...even the cedar impressions (shingle look vinyl)? I do very much appreciate your input, I want to make the right decision for my family home. What paint lasts 20 years? Aurora? That seems like a minor miracle in our weather climate. I also see your point on vinyl, that's why I have been unable to make a decision on Paint/Stain OR Vinyl siding for 2 years! My old shutters are so authentic looking and the vinyl replacements well, sad looking as replacements, so flimsy. Thanks:)-
April 7, 2013 at 12:20pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Arbor coat i think is what you are reffering to it is a acrylic stain product any stain product won't last as long as paint to different animals if you dont want to paint so often in your case stain use a 100% acrylic paint like aura or manor hall as for vinyl i think i've made my point you can go ahead and try it i can only tell you about my incounters and stories about vinyl
April 7, 2013 at 12:30pm   
Lizabeth
Joyce, it is a tough call. I have an Old Victorian that held it's old white oil paint for many years but began failing when previous owners added insulation and put a darker color on it.

I have stripped it down to bare wood on the porch where paint was alliigatoring due to thickness of paint underneath. And by the way the Ben Moore Paint you are referring to is called "Aura" not "Aurora".

If you don't have multiples layers of old oil paint, but simply a stain then I think you should get good coverage with paint.

Paint used to last longer because it contained lead which is bad of us but good for paint and houses didn't used to have insulated walls and water vapor was not trapped behind walls.

If you want to change lower or upper part of your house to hardi product do consider installing a "rain screen" area behind the siding to give a place to the moisture to dry . Paint and finishes will last longer when back of siding can dry.

I suggest you read the article on paint and rain screesns http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/pdf/RainScreen.pdf
April 7, 2013 at 2:35pm     
Rockin' Fine Finish
a good builder or sider will apply the correct paper and flashings we use a lath system behind the hardie that gives it enough seperation from the house to back of siding in case water gets behind it has a way for it to get out
April 7, 2013 at 2:43pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
We built our home 12 years ago and went with hardie-shingles (fiber cement) smooth and painted them. We installed with a slight "staggered" look similar to the photo of your home. I had the painter come out and he said all he has to do is paint the trim!! Amazing how well this product has performed! We specify fiber cement siding and shingles on every project that will be painted. On the coast we go with wood cedar shingles and stain for the "weathered" feel. I should mention our home is in Northern California, so weather is not as harsh as what you are dealing with!!
April 7, 2013 at 3:00pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
I forgot to add, you have a beautiful home, DON'T DO VINYL sorry, was that over the top?
April 7, 2013 at 3:02pm     
Lizabeth
Rockin I expect you to know that because you are in Seattle but of the dozen or so contractors I have spoken with here about it no one has a clue. In fact I have yet to meet a gc who has worked with Hardi here in KY. They put vinyl on everything or brick but they think Hardi is too expensive.
April 7, 2013 at 3:04pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
really where are you?
April 7, 2013 at 3:05pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
oh its cost over looks
April 7, 2013 at 3:15pm   
Joyce Kelley
Massachusetts
April 7, 2013 at 3:15pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
sorry joyce was having a side convo with lizabeth. how do you feel about the info you've been getting?
April 7, 2013 at 3:17pm     
Lizabeth
Rockin, sorry, Now I am in Louisville Ky and I used to be in Bellingham WA. Back in Bellingham we saw alot of Hardi installed as replacement for the bad LP siding.
April 7, 2013 at 3:19pm     
Joyce Kelley
All of u very helpful!! One of my relocation clients to Massachusetts from Iowa sent me pics of a remodel feature for her new Home here, my 1st intro to houz help:)- I'm leaning towards Paint/stain aura or oil based paint ...now for color choice...ivory like current trim with black or dark green almost black shutters. Or?
April 7, 2013 at 3:20pm   
Joyce Kelley
What's LP siding? Lead Paint?
April 7, 2013 at 3:25pm   
Lizabeth
Joyce, I have always liked the dark green almost black look for shutters and trim on historic homes. ivory body will be fine. Keeping it simple will lower your costs.
April 7, 2013 at 3:29pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Lizabeth, that does look good! When I tell customers "dark green almost black" they bring me forest green! Not the same thing!! Do you have a color spec?
April 7, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Lizabeth
No I would perhaps look at a Porter Paints Regional Historic Colors. Authentic Charleston Green maybe the right color.. I last used in Wilmington NC historic district.
April 7, 2013 at 3:38pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Cool, thanks! BTW spent a few days in Charleston SC! Historic district was amazing! Gas lamps and "dark green, almost black" EVERYWHERE! Thanks again
April 7, 2013 at 3:42pm   
Lizabeth
Joyce,
LP siding is a generic term like kleenex for a wood composite siding that experienced a lot of product failure when it was poorly installed by face nailing instead of blind nailing in wet climates. A class action lawsuit and millions in refunds were issued to homeowners who then replaced that siding.
As a realtor you should be aware of the Lead paint Disclosure Form, It is mandatory on all transaction of homes built before 1978. Lead was a common ingredient in paint prior to 1978 and its highly toxic when ingested and causes brain damage.

The US was slow to remove it from products and recent laws affecting how contractors must deal with lead are causing increased cost to painters and renovators. You should research this topic as both a realtor and an owner of a historic home and as a landlord. You should become familiar with both the disclosure forms and the risk when paint is disturbed and when dust with lead in it is created.
April 7, 2013 at 3:43pm     
Lizabeth
Kevin I am glad to help.
April 7, 2013 at 3:43pm     
Rockin' Fine Finish
to joyce lead paint old paint that had lead in the paint it is now band lp siding is crappy composite siding made of wood and glue
April 7, 2013 at 3:45pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Go for paint it will last longer
April 7, 2013 at 3:47pm     
Ironwood Builders
LP stands for Louisiana -Pacific. They came out with an OSB siding that derailed badly. Decomposition in less than five years...Huge lawsuits and class action settlements...a lot of money spent getting rid of it. The replacement is LP Smart-Side....yeah right...
April 7, 2013 at 8:28pm     
Joyce Kelley
thanks all, yes I am quite familiar with lead paint, disclosures, removal of, dangers of, very common here in MA. Had never heard of the bad LP siding, don't think we had much of it in these parts, luckily! Thanks again for all the very good information on paint/stain vs vinyl siding on exterior:)- much appreciated!
April 7, 2013 at 9:41pm     
dragdoc
I did some research on the LP siding because we plan to use it for our home. It was only a certain number of years that LP had trouble. Hardie had the same!!!
May 10, 2013 at 5:19pm     
Rockin' Fine Finish
Dragdoc I would still choose hardie over lp all day long
May 10, 2013 at 7:04pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
I know Hardie had a problem a few years back with composite roofing material (Hardie Slate) so they stopped making it. We used HardieShingle as wall cladding on my house, no problems and its been 12 years! Took the paint well and going strong. I would use it again in a heartbeat!
May 10, 2013 at 7:25pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
I said that in an earlier post! Sorry sounding like a broken record....duh
May 10, 2013 at 7:28pm   
joannef53
Hardie plank is the way to go if you're considering siding.
May 11, 2013 at 9:55am     
Exterior choices: paint again OR vinyl siding?
1914 original shingled siding painted multiple times...
what color vinyl siding goes with red brick exterior
What color vinyl siding goes with red brick exterior....
Vinyl exterior siding colour ideas
Need ideas to match up siding, trim, roof etc. on a...
Has anyone used Napco vinyl siding on the exterior of their home? How did you choose colors?
Here are the color samples http://www.vinylsidingconnect.com/colors/napco-siding-colors/...
Does anyone know what tile this is??
This is tile out of a house that was bought as a flip...
Need help with re-finishing kitchen cupboards
I have oak cupboards and I'm so sick of oak. The cupboards...
need suggestions for drapery in living room with large windows
I just don't know how to treat the windows in this...
Fair Fee Structure?
We are looking at hiring an Interior Designer and narrowing...
Entryway help! Rug? No Rug?
I have an L-shaped entryway and I can't decide whether...