Combining metals in bathrooms
Carolina Wonder Ehrlich
Our house was built in the early 90s. So the shower stalls are gold. We are not interested in changing them out. It's too expensive and I believe we can work with it. We plan to change out all the bathroom faucets. But what metal compliments polished brass/gold? We could just put polished brass fixtures since they are making a comeback but we don't want to be trendy or just end up with another dated look. Any ideas? Please advise. Thanks!!!
Carolina Wonder Ehrlich
By the way, those curtains aren't ours. We just bought this house and this is the previous owner's decor. Yikes!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 12:57PM
katthe
Hi Caroline....I just spent two days trying to find gold and silver two toned accessories to no avail (BTW figured out you have to include two toned and polished silver/polished brass in the search engine) I finally found something today and plan to rub rub n buff on the middle part of the silver ensemble to make my own. Also, after twenty years with a bathroom almost identical, we painted the wood white and You. Cannot. Believe. how updated it looks. Wish I would have done it 15 years ago instead of right before I move out. We priced out a simple stall last week almost identical to this to the tune of $1200....needless to say, we did not do it as it is in good shape.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 1:03PM
Ed
Carolina, I think any of these would work: satin nickel, oil rubbed bronze, chrome, brushed stainless steel -- satin nickel has a hint of "yellow" that could work with the existing gold. Please post photos after you install your new faucets! :)
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 1:07PM
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
I like to mix silver and gold in rooms; I am drawn to both colors. My den has silver end tables and a gold mirror. You can make the same mix work in your bath - replace faucets and towel bars with silver (either polished or brushed), but be sure there's at least one other gold item: a mirror, a frame on a piece of art, an overhead light, etc. Having a balance of mostly silver with 2 - 3 dashes of gold (the shower counting as one) makes it feel deliberate. To the extent that you could find a light or frame that has both gold AND silver, even better.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 1:13PM
alpine29
Carolina, I wouldn't be over concerned about mixing metals, brushed nickel should work, we have polished brass and chrome mix but plan to re-do our '86 ensuite. The most important thing is flooring and walls. Are you replacing the tub and vanity ? You can spend too much on bathrooms, do you have a budget ?
0 Likes   October 29, 2014 at 8:05AM
acm
you're necro-ing an ancient thread...
0 Likes   October 29, 2014 at 8:36AM
hello, did you use a combination of glass and brushed metal on the hut
hutch hardware- is it a combo of glass and brushed...
cmorante
Combining pitch roof terra cotta tiles with new flat roof (colourbond metal)
We cannot find a brilliant design where a new extension...
krstic
Love the wood and metal combination.
What kind of wood? Stain? Are the metal rods aluminum?...
Debbie Gurley
Adore the fresh mix of metallics combining classic details. Console?
Your room design is "delicious". Balance of masculine/feminine...
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Need ideas to improve this facade without spending too much.
We bought this house to help a missionary family to...
elviefon
Need DESPERATE HELP for dining room and living room
I moved into my first house last year and am a single...
schmoo11
Finding the perfect match (colors)
In another post I mentioned that my husband and I were...
alysin
Need help jazzing up the exterior of my house
I know it is winter but I am ordering new shingles...
freddie_948