Outside area.
josieposie77
Okay..so we have this ugly slab of concrete behind our home. Everything around it (a gazebo, a deck, and a pond deck) looks great and then this ugly slab on the back of our home. I just need something to do to make it look prettier! My daughter who has friends over all the time wants it to be somewhere for them to sit outside. Her window is under the deck and the basement sliding door is by it. I want it to be youthful. And all the junk, is going o be moved. Thanks
nasmijati
After you power wash the walls and concrete slab, refresh the wall paint. It is always nice to start with a clean slate.

Then, I would consider staining the concrete. You could stain it all one color, or make designs in the concrete.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:42PM
nasmijati
Here is one more idea for your concrete slab.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:45PM
josieposie77
I agree with the power wash..however I want to avoid the stain to look too tacky.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 8:26AM
Sharon
For a budget friendly option, you could use a gray paving paint on the slab to freshen it up. I think casual seating, like low lounges and coffee tables, a couple of outdoor ottomans and several long planter boxes. A bit of colourful artwork on the wall too.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:00AM
brody1313
I would enlarge and round it off with a low stone wall for seating and put a fire pit in the middle
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:11AM
handymam
I agree with a fresh paint job.

You could also paint a rug on the whole part simply by painting a border and and using a different color in the middle. You could even stencil a repeating pattern in the border. Or buy an indoor-outdoor rug for that space.

You could get some "art" for the walls beside the door to keep it youthful, either some 3-d stuff or some art that is meant for outside. Teenage girls love candle light, you may want to consider some scones with those battery flickering candles if she will be using the space at night.

If you paint those chairs and the table, you could make some throw pilows to add color. Have your daughter choose the fabric since she will be the one sitting there with her friends.

Add a long large planter along the edge by the door and it will make it feel like a wall to the "room." You can plant some annuals for color.

I think you could make this into a great space for your daughter. It is so nive of you to do this for her!
2 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:13AM
muppetsmom
I like the idea of painting the furniture, making it bright and cheerful...and planters to add "walls". Maybe a bistro table and chairs under the deck, hanging plants and windchimes at the transition, to make it cozier.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:25AM
handymam
I think some sort of lighting under the deck would be nice too. It would make it feel more like a room.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:28AM
josieposie77
Thanks everyone..any color ideas?
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:46AM
handymam
I am assuming you are just repainting the wall the same clor ans the rest of the house? (as it already is)

For the furniture? Glossy black is popular with the younger age. And then some apple green and white for pillows. You can even spray paint the palstic chairs with plastic paint. I think you can find the apple green this year as it is a popular color right now.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:56AM
muppetsmom
What colors does your daughter like? Chairs can look good in deep pink, turquoise, lime green, apple green...or black with those colors in cushions. If you do the bistro table/chairs under the deck, I'd go with a lighter color to offset the darkness (even with added light, the contrast on a sunny day is going to be strong!) Maybe yellow or deep pink or lime green? Little cushions on chairs to match cushions on outside chairs would tie it together. Can you paint the underside of the deck with white stain to make it brighter in there? Although it probably just looks darker by contrast in the photo...
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 7:35AM
traenartker
I added some bright pots, painted my old patio furniture and added some lights for about 50 bucks!
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 7:43AM
traenartker
You could get a large outdoor rug and then add some super big pots on the corners for extra decor! Maybe build an outside bar area for snacks and sodas :) Good luck!
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 7:45AM
traenartker
Rustolium has a spray paint called Blue Lagoon that is so pretty!! Its the color of the chair in the picture above as well as the flower pot on the table.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 7:46AM
Lizabeth
Do you have the budget to tile over it with a stone such as slate?
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 12:45PM
bluenan
If funds allow you need to replace the sliders with broken seals with a French door for optimum appeal. Addressing the concrete without the doors will look only half finished. I think the doors are a bigger problem than the concrete.
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 12:53PM
bevballew
Watching for now!
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 2:30PM
nasmijati
Perhaps acid etching or paint would be a better idea for the concrete than the stain I suggested earlier.
An indoor-outdoor carpet might be another choice.
What are your thoughts?
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 2:49PM
josieposie77
I like the tile idea..and I will have to discuss ideas for the doors because custom class can be expensive..
Anyways I love the ideas! Colors- I want something to compliment the blue. I like the dark brown/black an apple green. And the bar idea is fabulous!
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 3:28PM
Lizabeth
Josieposie77, that is not a custom glass door rather it is a standard slider. The seal is blown on the door on the right. Cheapest options is simply to order a standard replacement for one side. If you have the funds you can pull the whole unit and replace with a French Door for the that rough opening. Odds are that is a standard opening size but Ironwood could probably tell you more.
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 3:47PM
josieposie77
Okay, sorry I was confusing it with Another door! Haha! But that's an option. I would have to discuss it..what would the adverage rate for the French doors be?
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 3:56PM
pcmom1
My husband and I used concrete stain on our very large driveway and it gave it a rich, soft look. Not tacky at all! Wondering if you are thinking of paint that sits on top, rather than a true stain that is absorbed. We mixed two different ones to get the color we wanted.

Is it in the budget to put a simple trellis across the uncovered section?
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 4:00PM
Lizabeth
Too many variables to answer. Metal/wood/clad, etc. Do some shopping online make sure to find a good installer. You need to flash and weatherproof correctly.
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 4:07PM
josieposie77
Thank you. And it could be in the budget. Right now we are trying to sketch out a plan of sorts. When the weather starts acting like it should then we can start to power wash and clean.
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 4:19PM
Lkristine
I would get a large outdoor rug, something like this for an example, http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ivory-Green-Outdoor-Area-Rug-86-x-13/6304100/product.html Then look for some new furniture, or something that you can transform with paint off of craigslist, garage sale, etc. Here is a furniture example if you want to go with new, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Hillcrest-7-Piece-Outdoor-Sectional-Sofa-Set-Seats-5/13221032 Then add some fun pots with flowers or plants too.
1 Like   April 11, 2013 at 4:19PM
josieposie77
Thanks so much!!;
0 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 5:24PM
Need help with flooring over particle board
We took up the carpet in our guest bedroom today and...
Lori Kubinski Johnson
Bar height or Counter height home bar?
We're remodeling our great room into a game room with...
Jennifer Wood
Searching for a roman lamp to match set
My mother in law has this roman bust as the base of...
atummillo
How can I improve my kitchen. Should I remove cabinet doors?
Hi! I can really use some help. I am having a difficult...
lyn's home
Bare wall
I am painting my bedroom a cream color and I have a...
carlamcguire