Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jubilato

jubilato
12 years ago
We built a winter home in Guatemala in the typical Spanish style of the area. The floors are terra cotta colored ceramic tile throughout the house. The kitchen cabinets are mahogony. The walls are white. We are thinking of installing a black granite counter top that has a seconday terra cotta color lightly dispersed throughout. What colors/design type would you recommend for the tiles between the backsplash and the cabinets? Would the same tiles used on the floor look good? Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated. I have included a couple of pictures jsut to give you an idea of the style of the home .

Comments (18)

• Mary
    12 years ago
    Beautiful! But the counter top needs to be chosen and seen first. It all depends on how busy the counter top is or isn't!
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    Personally, I'd stick with all indigenous materials - so rather than imported granite, why not have handmade decorative tile counters and a plaster backsplash, or large format tile counters and a more decorative tile as a backsplash?
  • PRO
    James River Tile & Stone Art
    12 years ago
    I would definitely go with the hand painted tile look on the backsplash. (but not terra cotta). You already have the terra cotta color with the cabinets, so th bright blue/ yellow in the hand painted tiles will go well here.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Vivo Fine Art & Design
    12 years ago
    I would stay light and natural, either a soft white glazed tile, or a natural stone with light neutrals to pick up the cream in the stairway and the light gray nosing. Limestone or travertine might be nice or something like the glazed ceramic wall tile in your bathroom, but a much smaller tile :) You could also use one piece of glass, painted a cream color on the back and leave an insert for a tile pattern above the sink.
  • PRO
    Vivo Fine Art & Design
    12 years ago
    I also love the above suggestions!
    jamesrivertile , where are these tile from??
  • PRO
    James River Tile & Stone Art
    12 years ago
    They're Ann Sacks-- part of the Nottingham collection. Arabesque in blue mist (blue tile) and 4"x4" honeycomb in veil (beige & white).
  • jubilato
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. Our tiles are hand made and painted locally in Guatemala. Marble is also a local product, usually greenish in color, so stone counter tops are not unusual and wear much better than the tiles.
  • Christine Hilton
    12 years ago
    I am thinking I like the ideas of carly but I would add random patterned tiles on the backslash.Not too many just a few for interest.
  • Christine Hilton
    12 years ago
    oops,forgot another idea.What about the natural tile on the diagonal?
  • PRO
    Vivo Fine Art & Design
    12 years ago
    awww, of course they're Ann Sacks! I wish thee was a dealer in Canada!
  • PRO
    Avente Tile
    12 years ago
    I agree with Mary Lewis always choose your countertop first. Consider hand painted tiles. The variation in the tiles works wonderfully with natural stones since it also has natural variation. Here's three different approaches that all work well with a Spanish theme kitchen: bold colorful patterns, peaceful relief in two/three tones, or field tile with hand painted accents.
  • jubilato
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you. I especially like the look of the painted tiles and think they will really stand out in contrast to the black counter top with its small swirls of terra cotta color. I particularly like the yellows and terra cotta colored tiles with perhaps a touch of green. How does that sound?
  • PRO
    Avente Tile
    12 years ago
    If you like the hand painted tiles in the first image, I think they would look amazing next to a dark black counter and they would also pick up the terra cotta swirls. There are several different sizes. You can check them out here:
    http://www.aventetile.com/product_categories/40.cfm

We can also arrange delivery for Guatemala!
  • jubilato
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you very much.
  • PRO
    Avente Tile
    12 years ago
    Our pleasure! Let us know if we can help further. Guatemala is a favorite destination of mine.
  • jubilato
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Antigua? I'll look for you in the park ! Thanks again.
  • PRO
    Avente Tile
    12 years ago
    I love Antigua - the setting, the architecture, the people, the food. You found a perfect place for winter home! Hope to see you someday in the park!