Need a great floor plan

ozzie1125April 7, 2013
I'm newly married, and we are looking for a house. I am looking for the perfect floor plan. If anyone has an idea or anything to help that would be fantastic!!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
A perfect floor plan will be different to everyone! Some people like open concept, others don't. Some like a split level while others prefer one floor.

It's important to decide what appeals to you, personally. Would you rather have a large, updated kitchen or prefer larger bedrooms, or outdoor space? If you don't like to cook (like me!) than probably a large kitchen with all the bells and whistles would not be that important. If you like to entertain, then a larger living room or family room would take priority.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 4:07AM
creeser
bobbi is absolutely right about it being different for everyone. The house we bought when first married was not the same house that worked better for us after our children came along. That house did not work for us now as empty nesters so we moved again. Think of how you live and the areas that are most important to you. Are you planning on having children and if so, would you stay in the same house or would you move? Walk through some open houses and new construction and take notes on what you feel works for the way you and new hubby live.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 4:44AM
Harrison Staab
A great place to start is just to browse plans online. Even if you don't know what you are looking for, sometimes the process can spark a creative idea and help you figure out what you do want! I recommend http://www.advancedhouseplans.com but of course there are many sites out there to dream away!

And definitely, like the above said, consider how you live, or how you would like to live in a home. Trying writing a "script" about your day in your dream house. Consider your daily activities. How would you want to flow through your home? This was a neat trick our profs in Architecture school had us do to develop ideas for homes we designed in studio :)
    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 10:26AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Ozzie..... I hate to break this to you, but there isn't any such thing as a "perfect plan" 1. Unless you're designing this plan yourself, than there is going to be some bias from the designer's ideas. 2. Unless you have an unlimited budget, you're going to have to make compromises and set priorities.........my perfect plan would include a 4 car garage..... one for my wife's car, one for my truck, one for my motorcycle and one for the 1956 Ford pickup I would love to restore.......and every space would have a built in lift. Of course I would need a shop area with all the toy's to facilitate the restoration project...... of course, I would also have to have a wood work shop of at least 1200SF with all the wood working tools I could think of....... then I would need a stock storage area and I can't forget my art studio.........the problem is, I don't think I can get my wife to agree to living in the garage with me...........believe me, her "perfect plan" doesn't include the elements in my perfect plan and I'm willing to bet the house that your perfect plan and your spouse's perfect plan aren't identical.
    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 10:53AM