What would you do to this exterior?
Taylor Brown
We are getting ready to close on this house-- but it definitely needs help on the outside! The hunter green needs to go! Here is what I am thinking: remove all shutters, paint the door a bright color, and do something around the windows in the brick area. I just need some suggestions on what to do (for hopefully under $2000) that will make the house pop more and prettify it! Thanks all!
blisscottage06
Paint the garage door, too. Not the color of the front door - I like the bright color idea there - but something to make it pop less. A color close to the siding color would be my suggestion. I agree about removing the shutters, at least on the large windows, because they are too narrow for the windows. You didn't mention landscaping but that would help too, of course. But if you are going to live here for a few years, you can take your time on that.
April 7, 2013 at 8:43pm     
Triangle Brick Company
I agree to remove all shutters, tone the garage door color, paint the door & you are good to go. Great house! Congratulations!
April 8, 2013 at 7:42am   
Sarah Soliday
Landscaping! More attractive garage door that is NOT white! Make the front door more appealing by perhaps adding a better porch. Nicer colour for the front door would help as well. I would not do away with the shutters completely, but a colour other than hunter green would be nice. This is a BORING facade and a BORING yard!
April 8, 2013 at 8:34am   
Linda Stolz
paint the garage door the same colour as the siding to balance out the house. You need some height in the landscaping, pariticularly on the right hand side of the garage door. Paint the door a bright colour, and you could also add some bright pots on either side of the door. Congrats on the new house!
April 8, 2013 at 8:34am     
Jeanni White
first step would be landscaping, add some color, now would be a good time since we are going into spring. paint the shutters a lighter color. either paint the door a lighter color or paint the garage a darker color. but in the least possible work with most possible results would be landscaping. add a tree and some bushes. add small flower gardens in place of tree or around tree.
April 8, 2013 at 8:36am     
elaine_hardman
Paint the shutters charcoal, the garage door to match the siding and the front door chartreuse.....add chartreuse plants to the landscaping. Voila! Beautiful house!
April 8, 2013 at 8:39am     
tcufrog
I would recommend painting the garage door the siding color and add a darker and more substantial porch light. Paint the front door a color that pops and add a door knocker.

You definitely need better landscaping. What you have looks sad. How much time are willing to devote to landscaping? Annual flowers are nice but only if you are willing to change them out every year. If not, flowering shrubs are nice. Visit a locally owned garden store for advice on what to plant. What will work is very location specific.
April 8, 2013 at 8:42am     
handymam
I disagree. I do not find the house boring. It may need a change of colors, but is not boring. Larger house numbers by your front door and maybe a larger light fixture would be nice.

I agree with those that think the shutters need to be removed because there is not enough space between the ones on the right of the house. I don't like the garage door having attention drawn to it, so I would go with the same color as the siding as blisscottage suggested.

I think that what will really give your house the pop that you seek will be the landscaping. Curved lines are more interesting than straight for your yard. You should move the little tree in front of the door to another spot while it is still small or else everntually, you won't be able to see the front door. A crved sidewalk to the sidewalk out front, or even from mid driveway to the house would look more inviting.

If you keep the sidewalk as is, perhaps a wide garden bed that runs along the driveway and then curves up to the house will give you a fresh landcaped look.

Good luck with the new house!
April 8, 2013 at 8:44am     
Lynnette Sumner Nichols
Congratulations on you new home! I would remove all the outdated green shutters and beef up the window trim with moldings in either the lighter beige color you have on existing trims or a darker shade of house base. Then paint the front door a brighter color and paint the garage door similar to house base (or slightly lighter/darker depending on what you decide with window trim). Don't forget to landscape to create some dramatic curb appeal!
April 8, 2013 at 8:47am     
Wendy Wenig
As well as plantings for colour, subduing the garage door and highlighting the front door, I see a need for some softer lines to counterbalance all the verticals and horizontal straight lines. I'd suggest checking into inserting half moon (2 or 3) into your garage door before it's painted. And brighten the white areas to lead the eye to your front door. Removing the shutters MAY leave you with a different colour on your brick so a plan B may be necessary.
April 8, 2013 at 8:49am   
lindajean49
agree with Lynnette. change darker shutters to brighter color white would be better than this, color the door, add shruba, colorful and elongate a bed dow the driveway to draw attention to the walkway. the brown windows are awful....there has to be some combo of color to make them look good. trees....lots more landscaping very tract house right now...good bones........just jazz it up
April 8, 2013 at 8:52am   
In & Out Design
The house is a lovely home. Just needs a couple changes to be awesome. The white garage door stands out; and not in a good way. Replace with a cream one that matches trim or paint it if it is paintable. Although the shutters seem a little oversized for the space, they could be OK if you paint the front door cream so it stands out under the dark porch. Landscaping is a must!
April 8, 2013 at 8:54am   
Lisa Ward
I would power wash, replace light fixture and house numbers, once it's clean the color may be livable
April 8, 2013 at 8:57am     
Delores Montgomery
If there were no budget limits. Replace the siding with brick, paint white, and add bold dark shutters. Otherwise, paint the siding a darker neutral color, install bolder colored shutters or remove them all together and as someone suggested, extend the porch.
April 8, 2013 at 8:59am   
handymam
Wow, I must be one of few that doesn't find this house to be that bad. I honestly think it just needs a bit of tweaking, not a major overhaul.
April 8, 2013 at 9:02am     
Lena C
You could also paint the french window pane frames a lighter color for a brightness boost.
April 8, 2013 at 9:05am   
simplify52
Pretty home!!! Congratulations!!! Your house is NOT boring or dirty looking! Makes you wonder about people, doesn't it. I think you need some landscaping/mulch and paint the garage door so it doesn't stand out so much. I think I would go with the siding color, a darker tan. On my screen your shutters are showing blue. If that is so I think that goes good with the brick color. I would buy a pretty pot for the porch and plant pretty flowers in it. Fertilize the yard and edge nicely and your $2,000 will probably be gone. When you landscape I would sculpt the beds (use a garden hose to decide the style of the sculpted beds) and plant a higher hedge (not too high) and then another lower in front of the higher hedge then line it with flowers. I really don't think you need anymore. As time goes by you can decide if you want to go further. Enjoy your home and much happiness to you! Garden centers usually will help you with a planting plan and you can add as your budget allows. : )
April 8, 2013 at 9:17am     
Taylor Brown
Elaine, I was also thinking chartreuse for the front door. I see many of you are pointing out the white garage door-- hadn't crossed my mind! Do agree with the landscaping. I think there is a lot of potential here, but it just seems a bit off-balance visually right now. Just trying to figure out what to do to make it a charmer! :)
April 8, 2013 at 9:20am     
smugsy1122
I agree with some people that landscaping is the only work that needs to be done. This looks like it is in good shape that has been taken care of.
April 8, 2013 at 9:22am     
Carolyn Hollis
I am in agreement with most everybody. Paint, shutters, and the garage door are the first things that would be changed. Extending the porch would be wonderful. The landscaping, well there isn't any.
With the porch extended, some foundation plantings would be a must. An inviting path to the newly painted front door would be a big boost. A nice mail box with brick matching the house and a flower bed base would be a welcome home. Overall it needs harmony, warmed up, and a welcoming appearance.
April 8, 2013 at 9:22am   
Parker Stuckey Residential
I would add some height with landscaping on each side of the front windows. It will draw attention towards the windows within the brick and away from the garage door. I'm not sure what type of bushes you have there now but you may consider transplanting them to the other side of the front porch and placing a bench under the front windows. I would definitely ditch the shutters on the brick because they are way undersized. The others actually aren't that bad but need to be moved to the correct location. (They should sit on top of the trim so that if hinged they would actually cover the windows.)
April 8, 2013 at 9:24am   
Liz Hackenbruch_Walters
Maybe try some columns instead of the plain posts holding up the porch overhang.
April 8, 2013 at 9:44am   
Thomas Wakeman
The house looks great, just could use a new paint palette. Maybe a nice mix of grey siding and off-white trim/woodwork, with dark grey or white shutters would go really well with the brick. Also, are the windows wood? Can you paint them white instead of black? Marblehead Cottage, Architecture Walk: Exterior Styles and Palettes
April 8, 2013 at 9:48am   
Lynn Babin Fontaine
Paint the garage door the same color as the siding so its not the focal point of the house. Paint the shutters, a dark grey would look nice or a brick color.Add a flower bed along the driveway and walkway. Even a lamppost would look nice at the begining of walkway with the flower bed going around it. Paint front door a lighter color that draws your attention.Add a large urn next to front door with brightly colored flowers and plants in it.Also some nice coach lights on either side of the garage door would look nice too.Your new home is beautiful,it just needs a little cosmetic fix up.Good Luck in your new home!
April 8, 2013 at 9:49am   
Kiki Phukan
It is a nice house so congrats! In my opinion, here is how you can use your money the best. Keep the shutters and repaint them the same color as the trim. Buy a column surround kit for the single column on the front porch and make sure it is wider than the existing one and more substantial (paint the same color as trim). Buy and install a larger light fixture by the front door (brown), paint the garage the same color as the trim (change the garage door later if you can), Tall planter with preferably bright flowers under the light fixture on the porch. Spend most of your money landscaping with a few large rocks and a larger garden with a variety of flowers, grasses and bushes. Oh, and don't forget to install a matching but proportionately large light fixture over the garage door. Remove the storm door, paint the front door a bluish gray (not too dark as the door is in the shadows). Don't forget the antique brass door hardware, kick plate,and mail box. Add an large welcome mat and and enjoy!
April 8, 2013 at 9:53am     
Taylor Brown
You all have some great ideas! Thanks!!
April 8, 2013 at 10:03am     
Lee Poehler
so many good suggestions...If losing shudders iron flower boxes would look amazing against brick, agreed nicer garage door, and landscaping with height and color.
April 8, 2013 at 10:04am   
jholem
My first thought is to distress the brick in a creamy off white, then paint siding the same color. Metal roof (since copper not in budget)over the front door and small one over garage. Paint garage dark wood color (although I would do rest of house first, as it may end up looking like big hole, if so paint main house color) and paint front door pretty soft blue. Or red if your personality is more bold! Add decorative hardware. Lose storm door. Oversized lantern by front door and garage. Remove shutters on siding. Add decorative trim and beef up windows on brick area or larger shutters in dark brown. As there are budget constraints, I would start with paint. Landscape added etc. as you can. Shutters and salvaged roofing can be found at building supply places (customer returns) or places like Habitat for Humanity. Lights can be found at lighting clearance sales, Antique store, Goodwill and Ebay. You can pick up some really great stuff if you are up for the hunt. Good luck.
April 8, 2013 at 10:08am   
JoAnn Rourke Nelson
I would take off the shutters and spray paint them with a shiny black paint and do all the trim and garage in white and the front door in a bright color like chatreuse pink and bigger better shrubs a planter on the porch and how about a American Flag over near the garage or porch. Trees with hostas around them. The house is lovely just do what youhave a taste for and love it! good luck
April 8, 2013 at 10:21am   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
A beautiful home. I agree with the above suggestions to darken the white areas and remove shutters. Add anice trim around windows to emphasize them. Stain or add pavers on top of the driveway. Remove lawn and make a low maintenance rock garden mulched with bluestone pebbles or gravel, like the one in my doodle below.
April 8, 2013 at 11:15am     
Lynn Babin Fontaine
This combination looks nice.
April 8, 2013 at 11:16am   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Here's an example of a larger scale rock garden . If you have space on either side of your home plant some small to medium blooming trees.
April 8, 2013 at 11:23am   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
P.S. The front entrance column needs to be beefed up - it's too thin.
April 8, 2013 at 11:24am   
Lesley Williams
Hi there, Nice house congrats...I am not an expert, but to me right now it is almost looking like 3 houses (sorry) remove shutters, make all windows the same colour (of your choice) and tone down the garage door (possibly) with the colour you choose for the window trims, you could leave the shutters on the brick, but paint them the same as garage door....you should be way under $2,000....worry about landscaping later...don't forget the front door..pop of colour
April 8, 2013 at 12:01pm     
Tricia Heliker
I would extend the porch to the right side of house. Be sure to use columns that are more robust. Although I'm not a fan of painted brick, I think in this case the brick needs to be the same color as the siding. If the shutters must stay, they should be painted a different color ...possibly charcoal. The garage door needs to be painted as well. It would be nice to get rid of the sidelight by the front door and back that a double door entry.
April 8, 2013 at 12:50pm   
Helen J Crockett
Paint the shutters a pretty beach blue and the door a bright beach blue add window boxes to match shutters. and , some tall ceaders between windown
April 8, 2013 at 12:59pm   
wamplerk
Congratulations on your new home. I think the front door looks awkward and tight. Could the sidelight and door be reversed? Or could the door opening be widened to help give it more importance? I also like the idea of extending the porch to the right. Remove the shutters and beef up the trim around the windows. Have fun choosing!
April 8, 2013 at 4:11pm   
Lee Poehler
love houzz... I played on the computer, check it out. add a wooden look garage door and exterior door to match, some trees and shurbs, and an iron window box full of bold pink flowers,but my fav some accent molding above the window on brick, after added that felt the shudders should stay. however not sure what color would be best...match trim, match wood doors, or shudders.
April 8, 2013 at 4:39pm     
kc6391
I agree, paint the garage door. If It were my home, I'd extend the porch (you could use pavers or a deck) length and width. Then landscape. The shutters then would become less of the focal point.
April 8, 2013 at 5:15pm   
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Nice house! My vote is to keep the shutters, possibly just change-up the garage door with more of a carriage style! If budget allows, toy with the idea of dormers in lieu of skylights on the garage! Enjoy the new house!
April 8, 2013 at 5:39pm     
roomi
Save all your money and don't do any small alterations and put an extra story over the garage and while you are at iti put in a more interesting garage door. Sort the details out later.
April 8, 2013 at 6:55pm   
Stacey Rushing
If you only want to spend 200 dollars, I would paint your shutters black as well as the garage door to match your siding. Paint your door a dark red and add two fresh planters next to the door. Freshen up your landscaping and mow and edge your grass. That is about all you can do with a 200 dollar budget. You can buy hardware for your existing garage door to make it look like a carriage garage door. I am from Georgia and now live in Texas and we do not get rid of shutters, you paint them. They are the right size for the windows and if you are selling I would just paint them and let the new owner decide if she wants them :)
April 8, 2013 at 7:04pm     
lindapugh
Your best bet is to use colour & landscaping to improve the balance & scale of some of the design elements & add some curb appeal to this neglected looking facade. In my opinion, the front door is rather poorly positioned & so small it looks unimportant & almost disappears. The porch scale is also much too small & low for this home.
April 8, 2013 at 9:39pm   
Taylor Brown
So those who say to extend the porch-- would you extend to the right edge of the house or just a few more feet?
April 8, 2013 at 9:43pm   
Thomas Wakeman
okay, so I got a little carried away...
April 9, 2013 at 4:10am     
roomi
Some people seem to think its getting ready for sale and others that the house is a new purchase? Still others seem to think its a general makeover. Can we clear that up? I think extending the porch is a good idea visually as is painting the downpipes on the corners to match the walls so they are not so prominent. A porch might block sun to the downstairs windows which might be good or bad depending on the aspect of the house.
April 9, 2013 at 5:31am   
handymam
If people would take the time to read the original post, they will see that they are getting ready to close on this house. I take that to mean they are in the process of buying the house.
April 9, 2013 at 6:15am   
roomi
Oh for some reason I read "really close" which to me meant, the house was pretty much how they liked it, but they wanted to change some things or they pretty much got what they wanted. Both true actually. Well I still say the same thing. Look at the big picture. Don't get carried away with little cosmetic stuff that you may end up having to change again.
April 9, 2013 at 6:44am   
Taylor Brown
We will take possession of the house this week, so I have been brainstorming what I would like to do. :)
April 9, 2013 at 6:53am   
handymam
Good luck to you with your new home! :)
April 9, 2013 at 6:57am     
patsummerville
I think you are on the right track with this most recent shot. I like the white front door and the detail on the garage doors. The pickets add continuity as does highlighting the windows with the divided lights. Good luckvand enjoy your beautiful new home!
April 9, 2013 at 7:10am   
handymam
Thomas Wakeman, I like the idea of the fence and the sidewalk. However, I really becomes obvious in your rendering, as someone said earlier, that the paint coloring is making this look like 3 houses put together. The garage door definitely needs to be the same color as the siding to accomplish gettomg rid of this look.

I think the plants used as a suggestion are too formal looking and if a fence is used in the front, shrubs going up the path to the house would only serve as another fence and feel too closed in.

Another look with a fence would be to set it back about 5 feet into the yard and plant a beautiful garden on front of it.
April 9, 2013 at 7:21am   
patsummerville
Good idea about the garden plantings in front of the fence! A cottage accent and very welcoming. I liked the windows and cross pieces on a previous garage door shot -and adding the siding color to the garage door would work nicely. Not too dark though -dark colors sbsorb heat.
April 9, 2013 at 7:30am   
Thomas Wakeman
handyman, something more like this...
April 9, 2013 at 7:57am   
handymam
Yes, that is very nice!! (What a team we are, lol!) Can you change the plants up the walk to something softer and low like the ones you used in front?
April 9, 2013 at 8:06am   
handymam
And can you also show the house back to it's original colr with the garage door the same as the siding? (If it isn't too much trouble...?)
April 9, 2013 at 8:08am   
Cyndi
Love love the accent moulding above window, Lee. and the suggestion to paint out the garage door same or same tone as the siding. This would be a great start. You have many great ideas to work with now, over the years. Oh I would paint the front door now as well to brightened up your entrance way.

Good luck and enjoy your beautiful new home!
April 9, 2013 at 8:13am     
patsummerville
Getting from the driveway to the front door? Not much room for matching walkway -- stepping stones would have to cut through the boxwood. I also am thinking about flowers instead of shrubs leading up to the front door.
April 9, 2013 at 8:17am   
handymam
I agreepatsummerville, that is why I asked Thomas if he would redo, can't wait to see what he comes up with.
April 9, 2013 at 8:19am   
Thomas Wakeman
I like box shrubs though :) There's a path from the garage door to the front door just behind those shrubs, you can't see it though ;)
April 9, 2013 at 8:29am   
patsummerville
The boxwood smells so good. Easy to care for, but can take over visually if they are not kept in shape.
April 9, 2013 at 8:32am   
Thomas Wakeman
et voila. Right I'm done here :)
April 9, 2013 at 8:43am     
Victoria Pagliughi Dvorak
It almost looks like two houses. To unify the look I would paint the siding to match the brick as closely as possible. Keep the shutters and paint them a glossy black as well as the porch column.. Paint the window trim, front door and garage door espresso maybe. I like the combination of the brick red, black and espresso. If that is too dark for you the front door would look great in Cherokee red (my favorite).
April 9, 2013 at 9:11am     
Taylor Brown
The siding is actually vinyl shingles, so no painting those I believe. So I will be sticking with the beigy grey color for now. I also prefer not to paint the brick. So I am looking for ways to unify the three parts and give warmth and brighten the home. I really like that brick path and the garden in front. Beautiful!
April 9, 2013 at 10:40am     
HMH Iron Design
I like the idea of a low fence - it provides a frame for the view of the house. You should consider specifying wrought iron - it will add character, look elegant, and a darker finish will not distract from the main view. - AN
April 9, 2013 at 11:58am   
roomi
Yes it does look like the garage has been tacked onto a house so the only way out for me would be ultimately to extend the higher roof line over the garage even if only half way across to tie the garage to the house.
April 9, 2013 at 6:43pm   
Rare Bird
Love sweet carolines plan but would leave grass and have a smaller rockery with a few garden tress for added height at street edge her house treatment has thw wow factor
April 11, 2013 at 1:32pm   
Board & Batten
Dress up windows in brick area by trimming them out in PVC material. Crown moulding headers on top of both brick windows. Trim out the attic vent also in PVC to make it more of an architectural element. Balance out by trimming out the windows on the right side also. White trim would make it all pop if keeping garage white also. Add beefy faux black iron straps to the sides of garage and handle for the carriage look on the cheap. Beef up the size of exterior lights, they are scaled too small. Best of luck, it is a beautiful house! This house can pop with just a few small changes and it can be done gradually!
April 11, 2013 at 4:55pm     
Cristina Mullins
JS Morgen is right. Adding moulding to the windows will make it outstanding. I would paint trim in cream and the garage door to match. Brightly potted plants - one on the right corner of porch and one at beginning of walkway. A cute little ceramic stool in a bright color with a small chair, welcome mat, and potted plant on porch adds a little brightness and cheer. Beefing up the outdoor lights will go a long way to add curb appeal. And finally, new house numbers. Those would be the first things I did. Then next spring - more curvy landscaping to reduce all the square lines of the lawn and at least one tree. Oh and a new mailbox - not in the picture, but I'm assuming - also adds lots of curb appeal.
April 11, 2013 at 7:05pm     
catieb
Agree with jsmorgen.....delete all shutters, use applied moulding to really dress up brick elevation and then to trim out windows with a more classic surround (like what's around the front door) to reinforce the rhythm....the shutters are the wrong size and take away from what could be a lovely architectural statement. Also beef up column. The idea of extending the porch the full width of that part of the house would balance the garage wing and give you a place you can bring in more decor with benches and pots of plants/seasonal color. Trim at garage door to match windows.

If you plan to actually sit out front you could also add a paved area off the extended front porch that flows into the walkway.....would give you space for seating group. It also allows you to pull landscaping forward so it isn't all flat up against the house. You can do a version of this concept even if you don't extend the porch.

Changing out garage door or at least adding trim to give it a sense of style to match the rest of the house and then coordinate with paint colors, will help reduce it from the large mass of blank space. You'd be amazed how much some large hinges and trim could change the look.

Once you have the decorative trim in place use a computer program to experiment with paint colors. Consider darker shade of the vinyl siding for fascia/soffit and then go light for all the trim work. You can get the garage door faux painted to look like cedar for a fraction of the cost of new door. You can also change out just one panel to be windows, again instead of changing out entire door.

A stained wood front door would add a sense of richness. Maybe splurge to get one the width of door and sidelight? Classic plaque for house numbers below light fixture.

T. Wakemans landscaping with stepped back fence, will add depth and reinforce the sense of entry.

If you ever do swap out skylights for dormer....don't let anyone talk you into a series of small dormers; needs to be large, shed type to balance the other side.
April 28, 2013 at 8:07am   
Ottoman fabric, which one!?!?
Hi! So I'm back with a follow up question now that...
patio
Do i need to pull permits for patio
Living room furniture, rug and colors?!
I'm trying to work out what to do in this room. The...
Need help choosing colour for this bathroom
The shower is beige/gray granite-look porcelaine tile...