Believe it or not, this kitchen is in a Cape Cod beach cottage!
ninabar60
April 8, 2013
My parents built this kitchen in 1964. Love the turquioise appliances....that's about it.
Are you looking for help to update it? My first thoughts would be to paint the cabinets and change the hardware. With the turquoise appliances and the cherry countertops, white cabs would be AMAZING!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:07AM
handymam
I love the turquoise too! If you are thinking of working with what you have and want an updated look, you could paint the cabinets and get a new countertop. Maybe a neutral backsplash too so it does not look too busy if you are keeping the brick in the rest of the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:08AM
Landy Plante Interiors
I say white cabinets and hardware. Maybe Carrera marble for the counter tops......can't see the floor but I'd stick to wood if it's there. See if you can work a "farmhouse" sink into the design.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:21AM
Yes! A farmhouse or apron sink would be awesome! What a great project :))
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:24AM
Gabberts Design Studio
Definitely lighten up the cupboards, countertops and flooring. It will give you a light, beachy feel. I love the turquoise!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:25AM
Amy Stanley
The cabinets are great, I think painting them out to white, using the oven as inspiration, you could find a corian countertop perhaps to tie together, is the top of the oven white or stainless, I am thinking your other appliances could be either to tie together? Could you paint the brick back splash or is it fake?
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:27AM
creeser
Look at Elmira Stove Works for modern appliances that look retro. You can get a fridge to match the turquoise from there. Love the idea of the white cabinets with it.
]
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:32AM
handymam
creeser, BEST IDEA YET!
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:36AM
a fresh coat of painted cabinets would do wonders.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:38AM
creeser
Thanks handymam. I adore those retro appliances and had considered getting them myself, but I couldn't talk hubby into my 'vision'..*L* I love that ninabar wants to keep them!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:41AM
handymam
"someday" creeser, I want those old appliances. Lucky for me, my husband would go along with it. But it would have to be at our "last" house, and we aren't there yet! Still, it might be fun to use at the beach home. I would like the old look as it is nostalgic and that is most likely what ninabar feels about her parent's beachhouse.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:46AM
apple_pie_order
Ninabar60: What kind of advice are you looking for? Have you settled on a budget for a renovation or cosmetic update?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:58AM
ninabar60
oh man! you Houzz guys are awesome! thanks for the responses! Phase one is just a facelift. The ultimate goal will be our retirement home winterized, garage, space for visitors etc. for now, I'm trying to release some of the original, but would like to stay true to the intent!
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 7:13AM
apple_pie_order
How much do you like the brick? Does the cooktop have an exhaust fan?

New undercabinet lighting, new overhead lighting, new countertops. I would not replace the flooring (Armstrong Colonial, it looks like) unless I replace the cabinets at the same time. You could remove some cabinet doors and put the microwave up.

You could paint the cabinets. That means repainting every 5 years or so.

Realistically, buying new turquoise appliances to match a 50 year old oven is not going to be cost effective in the long term unless you also plan to replace the old oven with a new turquoise one when it breaks. The Elmira Stove Works appliances have gorgeous colors, but they are quite expensive compared to mid range white or black or stainless (last time I looked).
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 8:04AM
Ironwood Builders
I kind of like the cabinet hardware! Could the cabinet paint go beach sand and the hinges and pulls be painted out to bronze?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:31AM
I grew up in a 1960's kitchen with a suite of turquoise appliances. So your oven is making me nostalgic. We were tempted by the Elmira retro turquoise appliances when we renovated our kitchen a few years ago, but ultimately decided against living quite that much in the past. But I still look at them longingly....
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:38AM
creeser
feeny, is there a small part of you that wishes you HAD gone with the turquoise? *L*
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:39AM
Definitely! But I also want my 1969 Karmann Ghia back, even more than the turquoise appliances. ;-)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:42AM
creeser
Knew you had that 'against the grain' streak in you!
That's why I love that ninabar wants to keep what she has. So fun to work from there! And yes, they are expensive at Elmira Stove Works, but if you're only looking at getting a fridge to match the real stuff, then it's not like paying for a whole matching set.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:46AM
Ironwood has a great vision - if you took the cabinets more like sw canvas tan http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7531-canvas-tan/ and used rustoleum orb paint on the rest of your hardware, the turquoise will look even more at home.
I can see glossy white painted brick backsplash and chimney - these materials have certainly stood test of time.

Some shades for you to explore w canvas tan to see the harmony.
Here's your oven's doppelganger - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0075-holiday-turquoise/ You could do walls in paler tone http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6763-retiring-blue/
but for walls, you'll be happier throughout with a more restful, muted hue
ike http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6484-meander-blue/ - Fabulous memories you must have here.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:58AM
Ironwood Builders
Thanks for the compliment libradesgneye. I'm learning form houzz as much as I am teaching...and your comments are so informative and well thought out...and fast!
    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:44AM
I need help with the tiny bath in a 1941 cape cod
I wish I could expand, but the exterior is brick. Thought...
Laveta Owens
Need help with kitchen remodel of 1945 Cape Cod Cottage in Arizona
Need to replace badly worn tile. (See photo.)
Mariane Maffeo
Cape cod style house
What style kitchen cabinets are appropriate for a 75...
grmnan
Help with Modest Cape Cod Curb Appeal
Hi! We bought our first home a couple years ago and...
tashawientjes
PLEASE HELP
Our new house has all original woodwork and we were...
K Reynolds Kearney
Need ideas for hallway with wall to wall doors
The hallway is immediately left when you enter the...
nramsey1
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000
Stairs
I have stairs that are carpeted and is painted underneath...
tibbsatl
I NEED an interior designer
I bought a home that was built in 1920, we are renovating...
jacenda313